Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

thanks I've never seen that!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

There was a time when HR and I got into it over my lax attempts to have my team abide the dress code. All over one young lady who wore crapi pants. You weren't allowed to wear those and as I learned only 35% of woman's shoes were acceptable! They actually sent me catalog pictures of acceptable styles. The nonsense came to a head when I said "checking out the woman's shoes makes me feel very uncomfortable". There were some attempts to have another female manager mentor me; she thought the whole thing insane as well. The code was redone soon after.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:39 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
NHL coaches also ware jackets and ties, what I find more absurd is baseball managers in full baseball uniforms.
yeah. DW is not a baseball fan, and she nearly always asks why the old, fat managers and coaches wear uniforms, "like they're gonna play, or something?"

My only answer is "because it's tradition"...which really sounds even stupider when you say it out loud.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:25 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
yeah. DW is not a baseball fan, and she nearly always asks why the old, fat managers and coaches wear uniforms, "like they're gonna play, or something?"

My only answer is "because it's tradition"...which really sounds even stupider when you say it out loud.
Terry Francona bucks the tradition

Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:15 PM   #45

A reasonable dress code is basically impossible to put into words in part because interpretation of "reasonable" varies from not only person to person but situation to situation. Something simple like "clean and neat" sounds fair to me but everyone has their own image of what that means. No matter how simple or complex the dress code someone will go militant and intentionally push the limits, then that can spread. I think the only way to handle the matter is to overlook promotion of people who decline to be reasonable as defined by their boss.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Don't need no stinkin' dress code...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #47

Every profession has a dress code, I don't care what profession it is. I liked the comment you dress for the position you want to attain or at least for the next position for the rung on the ladder in corporate terms. Knowing how to dress daily is a no brainer as is dressing appropriately for the corporate function. I've always found that the better you dressed, the better people, those higher up, could relate to you if your sucking your way up the corporate tit.

In retrospect it is all kind of ridiculous but that is the way it is.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
A reasonable dress code is basically impossible to put into words.
Not impossible, but apparently not easy either.

The US Army needs 57 pages (AR 670-1)
The US Air Force needs 180 pages (AFI 36-2903)
The US Navy needs 389 pages (NAVPERS 15665I)
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

It's soooo much easier in North Korea, where everyone, except Kim Jong-un, wears the same uniform.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #50
Administrator

Quote:

That's amazing, especially the 389 pages. Brings to mind our company legal counsel, who was an excellent advisor. She always advocated for simplicity, saying detail always led to more detail. This is probably what she had in mind.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ugh...you're giving me terrible flashbacks. I am convinced that 1/2 of the regs (the AF calls them a most-politically-correct "instruction" instead of "regulation") were designed so that you are subject to harassment at the BX or commissary at ANY TIME for ANY stupid reason at all. Oye...I don't miss that crap in the least.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Ugh...you're giving me terrible flashbacks.
Yep. The most ridiculous one IMHO was the ironclad rule that you must NEVER under any circumstances be seen out of doors without a hat on. That drove me crazy but there was no leeway. You go out the door of a building and you put your hat on. Period. Perfectly normal behavior until 50-60 years ago, but since then? Only in the military.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
NHL coaches also ware jackets and ties, what I find more absurd is baseball managers in full baseball uniforms.
In the early days, baseball mangers were often both managers and players, so they wore a uniform in the event they had to enter a game. The tradition simply continued.

A friend of mine coached in the NHL for a couple decades...I knew him back when he was a part time scout, and he would wear a suit to scout games. When I asked him why he bothered to wear a suit to watch a hockey game, he told me: "I'm representing a professional organization and feel that I should project a professional image."
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Never been in service, but working in aerospace I had been exposed plenty to formal engineering specifications and testing requirements for hardware and software. Come to think of it, without these strict requirements, our soldiers would not have good equipment to rely on in the battle field. These are called MIL-SPEC and it is not at all easy to meet these specifications for durability and toughness. Commercial equipment would fail within 10 seconds into some of the mechanical tests like vibration and shock.

Still, the funniest thing happened when one of us ran across a MIL-SPEC for lobsters. We were laughing thinking how these lobsters would taste.

PS. OK, here it is: MIL-L-44190 - Lobster Tail, Spiny, Raw, Frozen.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #55

On the Cruise Critic Board, dress code is a real "hot button" topic along with tipping. When, depending on the line, you have formal, semi-formal and casual nights.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:58 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Lol

I love mocking the Navy for the ridiculous number of uniforms they have, and this just adds to my pleasure. I wonder if anybody in the Navy has made the connection between the 4573 different uniform combinations and the ultra-lengthy regulation?
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:04 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
In the early days, baseball mangers were often both managers and players, so they wore a uniform in the event they had to enter a game. The tradition simply continued.

A friend of mine coached in the NHL for a couple decades...I knew him back when he was a part time scout, and he would wear a suit to scout games. When I asked him why he bothered to wear a suit to watch a hockey game, he told me: "I'm representing a professional organization and feel that I should project a professional image."
And NHL players are contract bound.

"Exhibit 14, Paragraph 5 reads: "Players are required to wear jackets, ties and dress pants to all Club games and while traveling to and from such games unless otherwise specified by the Head Coach or General Manager.""
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:43 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
On the Cruise Critic Board, dress code is a real "hot button" topic along with tipping. When, depending on the line, you have formal, semi-formal and casual nights.
We've sailed on Carnival the past few cruises and enjoyed the almost unenforced dress code. I can't quote it, but basically no shorts and flip flops in the dining room in the evening was what I remember best. And I usually wore a shirt with buttons and/or a collar but never long sleeves.

I'm not expecting quite the same leeway on our MSC cruise in December which might put us in the buffet some nights.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
We've sailed on Carnival the past few cruises and enjoyed the almost unenforced dress code. I can't quote it, but basically no shorts and flip flops in the dining room in the evening was what I remember best. And I usually wore a shirt with buttons and/or a collar but never long sleeves.

I'm not expecting quite the same leeway on our MSC cruise in December which might put us in the buffet some nights.
We have given up formal nights. Years ago I was on the Cunard QE2 and it was formal every night except the first and last nights.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:13 PM   #60

Quote:
The above said, t-shirts were frowned upon, and shorts and flip-flops were big nonos.
I think the idea was never that shorts and flip flops were an approved part of the dress code. It was the technical folks asserting that they were so good at what they did and so valuable to the company that they could get away with flaunting any attire they chose. So so engineers better look good in acceptable clothing, but the truly gifted ones could do whatever they wanted and their managers just tried to get them to keep working.

Not that this is an original idea. Think of doctors in M*A*S*H who were indispensable and could get away with their own idiosyncratic ideas of what it meant to be in uniform.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote