Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2016, 04:24 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
I think the idea was never that shorts and flip flops were an approved part of the dress code. It was the technical folks asserting that they were so good at what they did and so valuable to the company that they could get away with flaunting any attire they chose. So so engineers better look good in acceptable clothing, but the truly gifted ones could do whatever they wanted and their managers just tried to get them to keep working.

Not that this is an original idea. Think of doctors in M*A*S*H who were indispensable and could get away with their own idiosyncratic ideas of what it meant to be in uniform.
At my Megacorp, men wear shorts and flip flops. This for engineers, who are stuck in the cubes.

I think this culture came from the early "F.U." brilliant types who told the boss: "You want the product next week? Fine, but if we are staying here, 24/7, we wear what we want." It has stuck ever since.

Interestingly, we coexist in the same building with telephone sales types. They wear very conservative business casual attire. Their culture clearly frowns upon the extreme casual of the nerds. So nothing is written down, but clearly there are standards.

This makes for a very strange clash of cultures at the cafeteria.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 05:15 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
Lol

I love mocking the Navy for the ridiculous number of uniforms they have, and this just adds to my pleasure. I wonder if anybody in the Navy has made the connection between the 4573 different uniform combinations and the ultra-lengthy regulation?
But the best part is the way in which we in the Navy may or may not follow the regulation, based upon common sense. We aren't robots like the Army!
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
No uniform
Old 07-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

No uniform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
have you ever seen anyone in the dugout without a uniform?
Yes. The St. Louis Cardinals have a translator for a Korean player. He is not in a uniform, although he is wearing a Cardinals jacket or shirt and hat. And I believe the athletic trainers are not wearing the standard baseball uniform either.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

I ran an internet control center for a megacorp for a few years- folks really liked to push the dress code there. I told my crew that if they could go straight to the beach from work, then they weren't dressed right for work. Seemed to work for most people and we gave the mid shift a bit more slack.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Back to the original topic, I think it's quite telling/amusing that the intern was so shocked that they would be held accountable for being disruptive to the work environment. I think a lot of recent college grads are in for a real shock when they step outside the world of Bias Response Teams and Safe Spaces and into the world of work and responsibility. It's like my favorite quote from Ghostbusters (the original) - "You've never been out of college! You don't know what it's like out there! I've worked in the private sector. They expect results."
Old 07-06-2016, 09:27 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Decades upon decades ago, an old manager, who transferred into sales from marketing, told of a PR writer who was, apparently, brilliant.....he'd come into board meetings, slightly hung over and somewhat disheveled, clutching a container of milk.....no-one said a word.
We had a senior salesman who carried a can of Coke all day and you could smell the rum from 6 feet.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We had a senior salesman who carried a can of Coke all day and you could smell the rum from 6 feet.
That's why vodka is the choice for real professionals.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We had a couple of guys with serious alcohol issues and a management team that wanted it to go away on its own.

A 1:00 PM staff meeting one's leaning against the wall in a SRO conference room falls over sideways dead drunk! I still laugh at the looks; thirty people who knew this would happen and six who prayed it wouldn't.

They did get the guy into rehab , unfortunately he wasn't done yet.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:51 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Speaking of dress codes...does anyone else find it odd that NBA coaches wear jackets and ties? I always wondered why that was...you are a coach. Granted, you lead an organization that is worth MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of dollars..but..you are a coach. Why the suit?
Ever bump into an NBA player around town? GQ all the way. The coaches are themselves very highly paid multi-millionaires, they live in the same world as the players, need the respect of the players, and maybe they like the ladies too.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief04010 View Post
that's when I realized that if I followed that advice I would show up at work in a t-shirt shorts and sandals since the job I really want is retiree.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Upon reading your post I realized I have been gradually doing this for the last two or three years. In my IT shop, for years and years I wore business casual from Kohls or Penny's, making me one of he better dressed folks. In fact one manger once used my attire as a positive example for millennial IT developers of how to dress. As soon as I set my RE date for 2018, I started letting my hair grow a little longer each haircut, and not replacing the nicer business casual clothes as they wore out, replacing them instead with REI style khakis and short sleeve cotton or hemp button shirts. I didn't replace my dress shoes when they wore out, and started wearing leather casual shoes. So now after several years, it turns out I am dressing for the retirement I want. (BTW, my new attire is still only down to the nicest IT developer outfits).

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
tradition; every male basketball coach I've seen, college or higher wears a suit

that's why we yell "sit down bus driver!"
Well, there's this guy (Bob Huggins):

Old 07-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief04010 View Post
I was listening to the Today Show and heard a segment about interns being fired for challenging a dress code. One of the hosts made the statement that when she was an intern she was told to dress for the job that you wanted not for the job that you have, that's when I realized that if I followed that advice I would show up at work in a t-shirt shorts and sandals since the job I really want is retiree.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
If you are still in, go ahead an try it for a month or so. I am resonably sure the system will help you exit the daily grind
Old 07-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Not impossible, but apparently not easy either.

The US Army needs 57 pages (AR 670-1)
The US Air Force needs 180 pages (AFI 36-2903)
The US Navy needs 389 pages (NAVPERS 15665I)
Maybe the Navy needs more words to simplfy the concepts Like how many words needed to explain the color blue?
Old 07-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
That's why vodka is the choice for real professionals.
The boss at a defense contractor I once w*rked at used to say, wish the engineers would drink booze I can smell, at least I would know that they are drunk after lunch and not just stupid.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:26 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Being able to dress in my normal clothing/have my appearance how I like (raver pants, geeky t-shirts, sneakers, hair has been everything from mohawks to the current neon top knot plume) is part (a small part, but still meaningful) of why I've spent my entire career making games. Best clothing disparity experience: sitting with the Senior Vice President of International Business at a game publisher back in the 90s, him in a dark blue 3 piece suit with a serious tie, me with my hair shaved in a mohawk, tied into 9 braids, a dog collar around my neck, with steel toed boots on my feet, in my usual t-shirt, black pants with decorative elements and unbuttoned untucked long sleeve shirt outfit I wore back then.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

My GF's employer (pharmaceutical) tried to implement a dress policy including no sleeveless tops (or dresses) for women. She pointed out that the First Lady regularly goes sleeveless (and looks damn good doing it) and they backed down.
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote