Join Early Retirement Today

Dress code issues
Old 07-04-2016, 07:12 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Dress code issues

I was listening to the Today Show and heard a segment about interns being fired for challenging a dress code. One of the hosts made the statement that when she was an intern she was told to dress for the job that you wanted not for the job that you have, that's when I realized that if I followed that advice I would show up at work in a t-shirt shorts and sandals since the job I really want is retiree.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2016, 07:54 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

my retiree dress code is t shirt, shorts, flip flops. Sometimes in summer I ditch the shirt! Socks...only for golf. Record so far without wearing socks for anything but golf is seven months!
Old 07-04-2016, 08:01 AM   #3

They must have been talking about Ask A Manager. I read her blog pretty regularly. Here's the post about the interns who petitioned to have the dress code changed: I was fired from my internship for writing a proposal for a more flexible dress code — Ask a Manager
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:07 AM   #4

I have worn jeans virtually every day for the past 10+ years at my j*b. Mostly with a collared and long sleeve shirt.

We have casual dress on Friday, and "jeans stickers" purchased for a United Way cause. I do not buy stickers. I wear jeans. My standard response was they can fire me if they do not like it.

I am sure an attorney would have a field day going after a company that said one person's dress was appropriate and another's not. A dress code is near impossible to enforce these days, and if taken to Court would almost 100% certainly lose.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:22 AM   #5

If you read the entire story.. the big picture is less about getting fired over a dress code, than being fired for being ridiculous.

A group of new summer unpaid interns arranged a petition to the firm management to abolish the code citing unfair exceptions, etc.

I think I'd have let the lot of them go as well, or at least been quite tempted, and certain not to offer them paid positions at the end of the internship.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief04010 View Post
I would show up at work in a t-shirt shorts and sandals ...
Is this you?

Walmart-4.JPG
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The interns forgot the basic rule of "make yourself valuable first, before you make waves."
Old 07-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
The interns forgot the basic rule of "make yourself valuable first, before you make waves."
+1 (They tell me) it's amazing what you can get away with if you're indispensable.

Decades upon decades ago, an old manager, who transferred into sales from marketing, told of a PR writer who was, apparently, brilliant.....he'd come into board meetings, slightly hung over and somewhat disheveled, clutching a container of milk.....no-one said a word.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Is this you?

Attachment 24230
No, I only get dressed up that much when I go to Walmart

Old 07-04-2016, 09:42 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I am sure an attorney would have a field day going after a company that said one person's dress was appropriate and another's not. A dress code is near impossible to enforce these days, and if taken to Court would almost 100% certainly lose.
Yeah, not necessarily. If it's an at-will employment state (like Georgia), unless the employer is doing something against a protected class or is against the law (say safety requirements), then an employer can fire anyone they want, for any or no reason at all. I think some folks forget that a job belongs to an EMPLOYER...not an employee.

When I was still w*rking, I was happy to wear a flight suit everyday. That is the easiet piece of clothing to wear and take care of. And hey...it was nice to wear what is essentially pajamas to w*rk! BUT...the big zipper...remember, you can never trust a man with a 4 foot long zipper!
Old 07-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #11

The argument some of our summer intern hires make regarding work attire is that being young college students, they don't have the funds to buy lots of fancy clothes for just a few months a year. So management compromised, and got them to wear nice jeans instead of shorts. and shirts with sleeves instead of spaghetti straps. The interns with the petition obviously just learned (hopefully) how not to negotiate.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
The argument some of our summer intern hires make regarding work attire is that being young college students, they don't have the funds to buy lots of fancy clothes for just a few months a year.
Bull. I would love to see the threads they have for going out on a Friday and Saturday night. I've been to the mall before..these kids can't buy ENOUGH clothes. You can buy nice looking clothes without spending a ton of money...this is the unfortunate truth with child labor making it SOOO cheap.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #13

I was in college in the 70's, going for a teaching degree. I think it was our Junior year we had a class that went out to a local elementary school to get some experience teaching in a math class. Our professor arranged who would go to which class and where to meet up for transportation and then she told us that no jeans or shorts were allowed, we needed to dress appropriately. It didn't have to be dresses, slacks were ok, but no jeans. Be clean, no T-shirts, no sweatshirts, wear appropriate shoes, look better than you do coming to class.

The professor heard a few students complaining about not having the right clothes for this and she offered to set up a group trip to Goodwill where she would help them find an outfit.

No one took her up on her offer and everyone showed up for the outing looking appropriate! Now that I look back on this she was an excellent teacher and I loved the class. I remember wearing a nice pair of courdoroy pants and a light sweater and I think I had some casual shoes that were not sneakers.

The story about the interns and the petition about the dress code was interesting! A summer intern complaining about the dress code is just absurd. To address the issue with a petition shows a lack of respect and a very poor attitude. Congratulations to the intern who did not sign the petition and didn't get fired. Hire that one!
Old 07-04-2016, 10:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Yeah, not necessarily. If it's an at-will employment state (like Georgia), unless the employer is doing something against a protected class or is against the law (say safety requirements), then an employer can fire anyone they want, for any or no reason at all. I think some folks forget that a job belongs to an EMPLOYER...not an employee.
They can certainly fire you, but the expense of a lawsuit would be high if it was taken pro-bono by a pro-employee lawyer.

Of course, the government and military can do what they want, they are exempt from many laws.

An employer would be hard pressed to explain how a pair of shorts or jeans was a problem, but a women's dress above the knees was OK. A pair of men's sandals was not OK, but a woman's open toe shoe was OK. Or that some forms of religious clothing was better than a pair of jeans. Or a woman's sleeveless shirt was OK, but my sleeveless shirt was not.'

Just because a piece of clothing is denim, doesn't make it bad.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:35 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
An employer would be hard pressed to explain how a pair of shorts or jeans was a problem, but a women's dress above the knees was OK. A pair of men's sandals was not OK, but a woman's open toe shoe was OK. Or that some forms of religious clothing was better than a pair of jeans. Or a woman's sleeveless shirt was OK, but my sleeveless shirt was not.
I think it might be because we like to look at young semi-covered women, but semi dressed men are considered threatening. Myself, I can understand and I see no problem with this.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:37 AM   #16

My tan lines on my feet are a direct result of my dress code... I'd post a pic but would be inviting some ugly toe comments....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2374.jpg (777.7 KB, 21 views)
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was thinking a while back that my whole life I have pretty much dressed the same. I wore jeans, Levis, in grade school, and except for two years at Jr. High where I wore slacks (I guess trying to impress the girls), and my short 80s stint at cords (all the programmers seemed to be wearing them, and they squeaked when you walked), I went back to jeans and except for shorts in the summer, I have dressed pretty much the same all my life.

Back years ago when there were still dress codes, I remember jeans were banned at a company I consulted for, and where I had an office. I wore jeans every day, nobody ever said anything. Always better to be an outside contractor than an employee.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Their argument was based on seeing ONE person wear shoes that did not follow the dress code. At the end of their firing, they were informed that this employee was a former soldier who had lost her leg and was allowed to wear whatever shoe fit her prothesis.
So, instead of discreetly inquiring to a manger, she got a whole group up in arms to protest. I think they got what they deserved--a very good lesson that things are not always as they seem. Time to grow up!
Old 07-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief04010 View Post
I was listening to the Today Show and heard a segment about interns being fired for challenging a dress code. One of the hosts made the statement that when she was an intern she was told to dress for the job that you wanted not for the job that you have, that's when I realized that if I followed that advice I would show up at work in a t-shirt shorts and sandals since the job I really want is retiree.

The Cowl and Cape were to uncomfortable after 8 hours.
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1467653240.956378.jpg
Old 07-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Their argument was based on seeing ONE person wear shoes that did not follow the dress code. At the end of their firing, they were informed that this employee was a former soldier who had lost her leg and was allowed to wear whatever shoe fit her prothesis.
So, instead of discreetly inquiring to a manger, she got a whole group up in arms to protest. I think they got what they deserved--a very good lesson that things are not always as they seem. Time to grow up!
Well, this goes to prove that being stupid won't get you very far in life.