Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about jewelers files for cleaup, instead of Dremel. Cheap, slow, accurate you just have to be patient and lots of time..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I love to spend other people's money, and if a round hole is required, this won't work. But it will keep you flush with the green plane and you can set the blade at a right angel.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-MX25EC-2...ools+vibrating

Old 12-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
How about jewelers files for cleaup, instead of Dremel. Cheap, slow, accurate you just have to be patient and lots of time..
I have some round files and I may use them for that last little bit to "lower the hole" if necessary, I gather that's what you're getting at. But the hole doesn't have to be pretty at all. Once I drill them out, I will coat the inside with a thin coat of epoxy to seal them (even though it's technically unnecessary), and if all goes well I will never see or think about them again.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

That's exactly what I was trying to say. You got it. Best wishes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

One last thought worth mentioning - if aesthetics will allow, a number of smaller holes will drain the same amount of water as two large ones.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I thought about a Dremel, but I assumed it wouldn't be powerful enough to bore through 1/2-5/8" of fiberglass. Will it? I don't have one, but I am sure I could borrow one.
Yep, it will do it with no sweat. Probably either a high-speed steel wood rasp or a carbide rasp used for cutting ceramic tile would do the trick. Just don't try to use a tiny Harbor Freight rotary tool, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
  1. I don't follow how a flex adapter would work for my situation?
Chuck the male end into your drill, put a hex-end drill bit in the female end of the flex drive. It lets you get the drill out of the way and align the drill bit very close to parallel with the green surface.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would use a drill bit extension. I carry one in my tool box for these types of things. HD has them. Any bit with a hex end can be quick disconnected. Mine is ~12" long, plus the bit length.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure if it would help, but I've had good luck with this 90 degree drill adapter from Horrible Fright and the price is right. It is usually on sale for around ten bucks

3/8 in. 90 Angle Drill Attachment

20% off coupon:

Digital Savings and Coupons from Harbor Freight
Old 12-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
One last thought worth mentioning - if aesthetics will allow, a number of smaller holes will drain the same amount of water as two large ones.
True, but one large hole is preferable in this case as there will be some debris (not just water) from time to time. Small holes will plug more often. But a good thought, thanks.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Use Midpack's idea but double it. Start with two holes, with one placed opposite the other. Feed a round file through both holes, start enlarging the holes straight down with the file staying parallel to the green surface. With this approach you can't scratch the green surface under the blue arc.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is it the type of part that you could place, and secure, in a dress press and come down "from the top" (so to speak) with the long bit a dress press would provide?

It seems that would provide a lot of control in that the bit wouldn't waver, like a handheld tool might. If you could secure the part well enough, I bet you could lower the bit into it, and keep adjusting as needed, until you got as close to the green surface as possible without nicking it.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was going to suggest you have a machine shop make up a jig that ensures success. But a jig like https://www.kregtool.com/store/c13/kreg-jigsreg/ might work.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Here's an out-of-the-box approach:

Instead of attacking at an angle, use a Forster bit (will leave a small dimple/hole though) or an end-mill bit and drill straight down (perpendicular to the green base). This will cut through the channel and cut flush to the green base. A plus - the entire diameter will drain water, rather than just the edge of the 1/2" circle, so even a 1/4" hole will probably provide better drainage. You will probably need a portable drill press to guide it.

http://www.amazon.com/4Fl-SE-Carbide.../dp/B000I6MPKO

edit - this might be what was suggested in #31

-ERD50