Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2018, 07:32 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We drink water, wherever we are. Maybe some wine or a mixed drink now and again. HOWEVER. It is very common for a bottle of Calmoki's home carbonated, Schrader valve capped water to get smuggled into the theater in the gal's purse. Gals gotta stay hydrated y'know. I don't feel huge amounts of guilt, but thanks for the confessional.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

drinking soda instead of water
Old 10-31-2018, 07:53 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

drinking soda instead of water

I don’t drink soda pops, haven’t had one in years. If I’m feeling feisty with a good priced meal (>$10 lunch) I might use carbonated water. Unclear if I should be paying soda prices for carbonated water but at one lunch place I go it’s “free soda pop with lunch” (no carbonated water lever) so they win out. Same with my Costco hot dog.

Did some online sleuthing; for a 22 oz cup:
Syrup = .23c
ice, co2 = .02
lid/cup/straw = .05

So I don’t use ice but I guess there is a $0.02 I am stealing... don’t feel too bad about it.

For the $100k at McDonald’s, if you look at cost would have to be 3-4x the previous estimate for cost vs lost revenue. Just imagine how much profit they must be making to have that much traffic (probably off the same people - who saves a cup and brings it with them unless they go to McDonald’s every day or something?)
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Did you call the Panera police? Were they arrested and put in Panera jail?

Why would I call the Panera police?
The two employees that I chatted with --- not about the beverage stealing --- saw the same thing and said nothing.
Not my problem.

broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
That would be $27 a day. My local McDonalds typically has any size soft drink for a dollar. So, even counting losses at full retail, that would be someone stealing a full drink every hour 24 hours a day.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

Are you basing that figure on 10 stores?

$100,000/10 stores ---> $10,000 store/year ---> $27.40/day = $1.14 per hour per store per day

I personally haven't seen this at a McDonald, but I don't eat there much anymore.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:54 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is stealing $1 ok because stealing $10 would be worse?

Since hot fast food is relatively inexpensive I don't mind overpaying for soda or water. I doubt many franchisees rake in huge profits.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:57 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I've seen people do it. They're the ones who have to look themselves in the mirror.
They do. Then tell themselves "I am so good lookin'. And smart too".

It's sad, but if people thought differently, they would not have done it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:32 PM   #27

We were at Panera yesterday. Didn’t notice any drink cheaters but I think we saw something worse. A couple was sitting in one of the best booths - a nice corner one with shade on the outside patio - and they were blatantly eating food from the nearby Subway. I don’t think they purchased anything at Panera at all. How rude!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:57 PM   #28

All of the fast food places around here give unlimited refills on sodas so I doubt they can track soda theft.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:20 AM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
Why would I call the Panera police?
The two employees that I chatted with --- not about the beverage stealing --- saw the same thing and said nothing.
Not my problem.
You seemed irked enough to vent here.
I was wondering if you were irked enough to do anything about it.

Guess not.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:23 AM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Plus, the cost of the sugar water coming out of the fountain is so low that it’s not worth making a scene, even by the manager.

My wife shakes her head at me when I fill my cup with water and then give it a small amount if their lemonade. About the same flavor wise as adding a lemon. I wouldn’t fill the cup, but a spritz of lemon I’ve justified in my head. Oh well.
We each justify why it's okay to bend the rules in our own way.

- It was just a spritz
- It was just a little cup
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:53 AM   #31

I find it interesting that fast-food places make the smallest mark-up on their burgers, then large profits on fries and (especially) drinks. It's not their fault, it's what the customers want.

We'll pinch pennies on the meat, but when it comes to fatty, salty, sweet and especially caffeine-laden items, money is no object.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:05 AM   #32

Only drink water or occasionally ice tea. But the DW and I will often split a po-boy or something else. Most places don't mind but we've had 1 or 2 places that charged extra to split a meal.
Interestingly a large po-boy will easily be enough for us with a small fries to split. And the price difference between two small and one large sandwich is quite a bit.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:31 AM   #33

They could have added MiO to their water. If it was, I did not know that you couldn't add that to water at a restaurant. I carry it with me and use it at work just to change up drinking plain water.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
I wonder if that constitutes bringing outside food and drink into the restaurant which is explicitly a sign at some restaurants.
What! I can't bring a bottle of Cheer Wine into a fast food joint and down it with my burger?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #35

Ok, I confess!
I got a water glass at Panera but filled it with soda water!
Lock me up in Panera jail with nothing but bread, water, and broccoli cheddar soup.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Plus, the cost of the sugar water coming out of the fountain is so low that it’s not worth making a scene, even by the manager.

My wife shakes her head at me when I fill my cup with water and then give it a small amount if their lemonade. About the same flavor wise as adding a lemon. I wouldn’t fill the cup, but a spritz of lemon I’ve justified in my head. Oh well.
As long as you can justify it to yourself. It's all where you draw the line to determine if it's theft or if it's ok. Oh well.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
You seemed irked enough to vent here.
I was wondering if you were irked enough to do anything about it.

Guess not.
No more irked than others who post on other topics in this Other topics subforum.

It was just an observation. E.g. nosy. E.g. not minding my business.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:35 PM   #38

To me it’s different going to a restaurant, paying for a meal, giving a tip, and then getting $0.02 for carbonation. Considering I try to minimize consumption (napkins, plates, etc) I’m sure I more than makeup for the added cost. The business makes money.

I would never get a free coke - but I guess for me the carbonation seems insignificant in cost and not exactly what they intend when charging for a soda pop.
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #39

I get water at Panera and squeeze a bunch of free lemon in it. I guess I could take sweetener and make my own lemonade. That would be legal as they offer unlimited lemons.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Only drink water or occasionally ice tea. But the DW and I will often split a po-boy or something else. Most places don't mind but we've had 1 or 2 places that charged extra to split a meal.
Interestingly a large po-boy will easily be enough for us with a small fries to split. And the price difference between two small and one large sandwich is quite a bit.

Because po’boys and small fries are HUGE down here!! (LA) that is a meal for two, or mom & 3 little kids!! 🤣