Driver faces $135 fine for mannequin in HOV lane

MasterBlaster

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
<ISLANDIA, N.Y. – The tipoff was the sunglasses. A New Yorker faces a $135 traffic fine for using a mannequin as her plus-one in the high-occupancy lane of the Long Island Expressway. An alert sheriff's deputy on Long Island became suspicious when he saw the "passenger" wearing sunglasses and using the visor. The only problem: The sky was overcast.
When he stopped the vehicle, he found the mannequin, fully dressed with a long dark wig, blazer, shirt and scarf.
The 61-year-old driver left with a summons. >

Sometimes threads overlap in wonderful ways. Obviously a mannequin wouldn't past the muster
but what about this robot.
Sexpot turns Sexbot in Sin City | TG Daily

She is able to have conversations and sex, and uses Artificial Intelligence. Depending on the jury you could possibly make the case that she is more alive than your ex.. :)

BTW: Do sexpot androids dream of hunky terminators models?

<ISLANDIA, N.Y. – The tipoff was the sunglasses. A New Yorker faces a $135 traffic fine for using a mannequin as her plus-one in the high-occupancy lane of the Long Island Expressway. An alert sheriff's deputy on Long Island became suspicious when he saw the "passenger" wearing sunglasses and using the visor. The only problem: The sky was overcast.
When he stopped the vehicle, he found the mannequin, fully dressed with a long dark wig, blazer, shirt and scarf.
The 61-year-old driver left with a summons. >

Good. I can't stand chiselers.

The LIE has a well deserved nickname..."The World's Largest Parking Lot". :(
I can certainly understand why the driver thought of the mannequin trick.
Creative and funny as hell, but still wrong. :nonono:

The LIE has a well deserved nickname..."The World's Largest Parking Lot". :(
I can certainly understand why the driver though of the mannequin trick.
Creative and funny as hell, but still wrong. :nonono:

Oh, yeah, and well deserved nickname it is, too. I used to live in both Bayside, Queens and Syosset(in Nassau Co).

This one's been around for almost as long as HOV lanes...
snopes.com: Carpool Lane Scams

Some companies [-]fear[/-] market passenger mannequins to women drivers who don't want to be targeted as a solo vehicle occupant. But you'd think they'd at least remove the sunglasses.

IIRC the Hawaii fine is $270. (I'm going to have to check the sign next time I'm out.) Hawaii courts have upheld police for ticketing drivers in the HOV lane when their qualifying passengers are lying down or even just reclining in their seats. And if the rear windows have so much tint that the officer can't see the baby in the car seat then you're outta luck.

In a previous job, if someone got a HOV ticket going to a customers' site, they would bill it to the customer. Very rarely happened though.

Hawaii courts have upheld police for ticketing drivers in the HOV lane when their qualifying passengers are lying down or even just reclining in their seats. And if the rear windows have so much tint that the officer can't see the baby in the car seat then you're outta luck.

Welcome to the land of the free, I guess. How can they justify this, unless the signs say something like 2 or more easily visible occupants? Just because they can't see the second passenger doesn't mean they aren't there. Are they getting fined because the cop wasted his time pulling them over and got pissed off? Makes no sense to me. As far as the tint goes, most states have tint limits, but if the tint is legal then there shouldn't be any grounds for a ticket. :confused:

Car-Pool Kenny

Car Pool Kenny is designed to let you hop into the car pool lanes in case of an emergency, such as running 10 minutes behind. Kenny's inflatable, professionally dressed, and let's face it, won't pester you with driving advice or office gossip.

CarpoolKenny.jpg

If the Cop caught the mannequin with sunglasses, he's have to be mentally challenged to believe Kenny was human..geesh...Stevie Wonder could see Car Pool Kenny's a blow-up doll.

If the Cop caught the mannequin with sunglasses, he's have to be mentally challenged to believe Kenny was human..geesh...Stevie Wonder could see Car Pool Kenny's a blow-up doll.

The better question is...

Does CarPool kenny do it for you as a sexbot ?

IIRC the Hawaii fine is $270. (I'm going to have to check the sign next time I'm out.) Hawaii courts have upheld police for ticketing drivers in the HOV lane when their qualifying passengers are lying down or even just reclining in their seats. And if the rear windows have so much tint that the officer can't see the baby in the car seat then you're outta luck.

That's not a violation that I would have written. If there's a warm body in there that's a passenger. Doesn't matter if he/she is two days old or somebody taking a nap.

YMMV.

This has always been a bad idea, and perhaps never more so than when cities and states are more desperate for revenue than ever.

This one's been around for almost as long as HOV lanes...
snopes.com: Carpool Lane Scams

Some companies [-]fear[/-] market passenger mannequins to women drivers who don't want to be targeted as a solo vehicle occupant. But you'd think they'd at least remove the sunglasses.

Welcome to the land of the free, I guess. How can they justify this, unless the signs say something like 2 or more easily visible occupants? Just because they can't see the second passenger doesn't mean they aren't there. Are they getting fined because the cop wasted his time pulling them over and got pissed off? Makes no sense to me. As far as the tint goes, most states have tint limits, but if the tint is legal then there shouldn't be any grounds for a ticket. :confused:

That's not a violation that I would have written. If there's a warm body in there that's a passenger. Doesn't matter if he/she is two days old or somebody taking a nap.

YMMV.

Sometimes the only illegal activity in these HOV violations is perpetrated by our public servants. I remember following this episode while it was originally chronicled in The American Motorcyclist.

New York City Motorcycle HOV Lane - webBikeWorld

Man I just think this is great. Frankly he should have been fined even more than that. Want to skirt the rules. Fine go for it. Slam the hammer down when you get caught. Learn how to carpool or ride with the rest of the Joes. You let everyone skirt the rules..drive on the side throw mary jane blow up doll in the passenger side. You get chaos which causes accidents. You would have a lot less accidents if people would understand the driving rules and follow them.

Because this nugget who thought it was great to throw in a blow up doll. Probably thinks its fine he texts and reads while driving. BOOM THROW DOWN THE HAMMER JOE LAW.

I say this because its horrible to have someone ram into you at a high speed from behind because they were not paying attention for X reason. Frankly, Id rather not ever hear my wife moan and cry because some dumb kid was texting while we were rear ended at 40 mph. Which is mild according to the law and the insurance industry.

Hov lanes are a bad idea in the first place. No one I work with lives in my neighborhood. Can't take advantage of it in any case. Probably the same for most people. More political correctness. Plenty of money to enforce a rule that doesn't change behavior. In Dallas there is a jam where the lanes converge. No separation between the Hov and the regular lanes. People move in and out of them across the white line. If you are in the Hov moving faster than traffic people may jump into your lane in front of you.

Now they are building light rail. Sounds good. Doesn't go from where I live to where I work. How does it help?

Hawaii courts have upheld police for ticketing drivers in the HOV lane when their qualifying passengers are lying down or even just reclining in their seats. And if the rear windows have so much tint that the officer can't see the baby in the car seat then you're outta luck.

Are they getting fined because the cop wasted his time pulling them over and got pissed off? Makes no sense to me. As far as the tint goes, most states have tint limits, but if the tint is legal then there shouldn't be any grounds for a ticket. :confused:

I wonder if Hawaii has that law because in the past the police had been abused by prankster passengers who hid when passing them, then popped up when they were stopped. A lot of time, when a "stupid" law got in the book, there were some sad reasons behind it.

I was once in an HOV lane with my child in a car seat. When the cop caught up with me, he saw that and waved me on.

Back
Top Bottom