Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-05-2015, 07:09 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I drove a 22' from Baton Rouge to DFW area a few years ago. Not bad if you can put up with the pounding on bad roads and a continuous droning sound from engine/transmission.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 07:27 AM   #42

Truck stops are the way to go for gas , food, and joyful parking.
They generally have websites and some with apps.
For example, one of our favorites shows locations and other info here.
Love's Locate Us

Old 06-05-2015, 08:08 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'm struggling with this, too, as I'm planning on moving across country next year. Right now my plan is to use ABF / U-Pack and have them drop a trailer which I will have loaded, ABF will deliver and I will have it unloaded. Prices seem reasonable compared to a UHaul rental, given the added convenience.

http://www.upack.com/moving-services/moving-trailer.asp
U-Pack is $3662 for a 17'. Not sure about a 20' but obviously more money.

17' U-Haul is $946 plus about $350 in gas so $1296 total. The 20' truck is $140 more but I'm guessing the 20' U-Pack is more than $140 extra.

If we use U-Pack, we don't need 2 nights in a hotel at about $200 total but we need a one way plane ticket which is about $140 for a $60 savings. Food doesn't really cost more. DW doesn't like to eat out much. She will either eat food she packed in a cooler during the driving trip or eat similar foods during that same time frame at the new destination while waiting for the shipment to arrive.

So in total the U-Pack would cost about $2350 extra. That's a significant difference in money. The moving part would be more convenient but the being in Florida without our belongings will be less convenient. We will have to either stay with family or get a hotel which cancels out the hotel savings from the U-Pack option and puts us up to $2550 extra.

We would pay the extra money if we needed to, but after reading this thread I don't see the need to. A big thing for me is that I'm old fashioned I guess, and driving cross country is the man's job. Having my wife do it while I sit back and relax in an airplane doesn't sit well with me. We tend to have traditional roles and we both like it that way, but she is also totally fine with stepping up and tackling any job when need be. She's awesome.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I was about to warn of the rear overhang of these trucks. On the 1st trip on my RV, I scraped a rear corner of my class C against a post at a gas station because I made the turn too tight.
This is easy to do.

I was helping my brother move a couple of years ago. He was driving a large-ish U-Haul and he did this - broke the post off completely. It was especially fun since it was around midnight in a slightly dicey neighborhood just off the interstate. Killed a couple of hours dealing with it. Such fun.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #45

What is your plan to get things loaded in and out of the U-haul?

Hopefully you can start healing up soon and take a little stress off the situation. Moving is stressful anyway and throwing in some health issues is really tough.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
What is your plan to get things loaded in and out of the U-haul?

Hopefully you can start healing up soon and take a little stress off the situation. Moving is stressful anyway and throwing in some health issues is really tough.
We have about 8 people coming to help, 4 of which are strong guys. We actually don't have very much heavy stuff. We are getting rid of a lot of our furniture that's 20 yrs old and buying new stuff once we get to Florida.

The only heavy things are fridge, washer, dryer and sectional couch. We are bringing one king sized mattress and box spring set but not any other bedroom furniture at all even though we have a 4 bedroom house.

The 20' truck is probably too big but I didnt want to take any chances. The biggest problem packing may be securing the load when its not packed all the way to the door.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
A big thing for me is that I'm old fashioned I guess, and driving cross country is the man's job.
As a woman who has independently completed many long distance moves, two of them international, including one cross country drive alone (albeit with a passenger vehicle) I find that a bit patronizing.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #48

Quote:
the biggest challenge was unsafe drivers
Curiously, I had a different experience with this. Driving a 20+ foot truck with UHaul painted all over it clearly marked me as a amateur with a large vehicle. Although there were the usual aggressive drivers darting in front of me, there was also a strong incentive for anyone driving around me to give wide berth when I tried to maneuver. If I signaled and moved slowly, I could merge left or right in any traffic and any other driver who wasn't suicidally inattentive would quickly get out of my way.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
As a woman who has independently completed many long distance moves, two of them international, including one cross country drive alone (albeit with a passenger vehicle) I find that a bit patronizing.
So Utrecht should self censor to avoid offense? This is his marriage and his life. He acknowledged that his wife is perfectly capable of doing the move, but still worries for her safety/well-being. This is offensive to you?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
So Utrecht should self censor to avoid offense? This is his marriage and his life. He acknowledged that his wife is perfectly capable of doing the move, but still worries for her safety/well-being. This is offensive to you?

He already mentioned his wife is a former police officer. More likely then not his worry is a result of his not feeling well, feeling stress about the move and feeling that he won't be able to do his part. The way he expresses it is not a slam on women. That's my take on it anyway.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
The 20' truck is probably too big but I didnt want to take any chances. The biggest problem packing may be securing the load when its not packed all the way to the door.
The inside walls of the truck (and maybe the floor?) will have E-track. Basically perforated steel strips that you can hook straps into. If U-haul does not supply or rent them, you can buy them at hardware store or Harbor Freight type places.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:50 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
The inside walls of the truck (and maybe the floor?) will have E-track. Basically perforated steel strips that you can hook straps into. If U-haul does not supply or rent them, you can buy them at hardware store or Harbor Freight type places.
Yep. If you still worry about stuff sliding around, you can always fill extra space in the hold with some sacrificial cardboard boxes filled with nothing (or maybe extra cardboard). They can fill in the extra space and take any punishment dished out by your heavy stuff while adding minimal weight to the truck.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
No, I appreciate that he values her safety. What is offensive (to me, YMMV) is the statement that "driving cross country is the man's job". The way I read it, that implies a mindset that women in general are incompetent at driving cross country. I'm sure that Utrecht didn't intentionally set out to offend women. Nevertheless, that was my perception.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, I appreciate that he values her safety. What is offensive (to me, YMMV) is the statement that "driving cross country is the man's job". The way I read it, that implies a mindset that women in general are incompetent at driving cross country. I'm sure that Utrecht didn't intentionally set out to offend women. Nevertheless, that was my perception.
Having traditional gender roles in his marriage is all he seemed to be talking about, as far as I can tell.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

U-Haul runs a "Moving Help" website where you can locate independent contractors that provide moving help to U-Haul customers. Mostly, this includes packing and loading help, but some of the contractors will drive a truck for you too. My son used to do this and he did a couple of cross country drives for his customers. The website lists all the pricing info and there are ratings/reviews for all of the contractors.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post

That's it; if you pack tight like a rubiks cube , you can use the mattress and box spring as a final vertical bulkhead and put a high and low strap across, done.

Women drive all kinds of trucks all over these days. Bad drivers or crazy people of either sex shouldn't drive them, though. Once power steering came in at volume a while back, no reason upper body strength favored men drivers. Look up in the cab of a long haul rig going by on the freeway, you will see plenty of women, same thing dump trucks with pup trailers.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

A to visit your local rentals to see their offices and equipment could be time well spent.
Penske is my go to lately, their customer service and equipment has been superior. Newer vehicles with more amenities and the truck actually being available as promised makes a difference.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #58

Quote:
I did apologize in advance for any offense to women because I knew some might be offended. I didn't mean that women are incompetent to drive cross country at all. Although we are both completely able to do just about anything, we tend to stick to traditional roles. I look at it more like being chivalrous, not demeaning. She cooks dinner. I keep the cars maintained. She cleans the inside of the house. I do the yard work and maintain the pool. We both like it this way but she can mow the yard if need be and I can wash a load of laundry when I need to.

We go on lots of road trips and she usually ends up driving more than I do because she gets car sick when shes not driving. The main difference here is she has never driven a large truck. My biggest worry is just the mere fact that driving 1300 miles alone sucks no matter who you are. Driving a large truck sucks worse. I wasnt too excited about making the drive myself but I knew we could split the driving and keep each other company. My doing it myself would suck. Her doing it herself sucks worse, in my opinion. Im sure she can do it just like I could. I'm just not crazy about her having to do it.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #59

Be prepared for a fuel consumption rate that's much higher than a passenger vehicle. You might inquire about the expected MPG, and then if driving through unpopulated areas plan your refueling stops in advance.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #60

I would also take the U-Haul fuel mileage estimate with a grain of salt, based upon my experience renting a U-haul 14' truck.

The worst aspect I see of renting and driving: boredom and fatigue of just driving all day for several days , not like a vacation, visiting things along the way.