Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #21
gone traveling

Some of the young whipper snappers are very presumptuous to think older seniors are incapable of driving. Paul Newman remained a very competitive race car driver into his 80s, let alone street driving. Personally, I think those caught texting while driving should not be driving.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dave Barry explains that older drivers choose one speed, say 22 miles an hour, and drive that speed no matter where they are--whether it's in their driveway or on the highway.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:07 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I think those caught texting while driving should not be driving.
+1
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #24

Taking someone's license JUST because of their age is discrimination.

And discrimination is not ok.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:29 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post

That's why the DMV is not going there. Lawsuits for sure.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I totally disagree!! There are people of ALL ages that should not be driving. I see them every day.
By the way, I just turned 80, and passed my flight review. I also piloted a P-51 to celebrate my birthday.
First of all, so glad you are still pursuing your passion at age 80. I personally feel much safer with you in the air than I do with you behind the wheel of a car. My comfort begins with the fact that there is a lot less traffic in the air than on the roadway. Most private pilot aviation accidents only kill the pilot and occupants of that aircraft. Many times when elderly people drive and there is an accident there are many more injured/killed because of congestion. My 87 yr old DM keeps telling me not to worry about her when she drives. I tell her point blank, "it's not you I am worried about mom", "it's the people you may kill or mame". Thinking about taking her car away from her in October when she turns 88.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post

Driving is NOT a right. Can't drive until I'm 16-discrimination! Can't vote until I'm 18-discrimination! Can't drink until I'm 21-discrimination! Can't run for president until I'm 35-discrimination!

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Old 01-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #28

"Studies also indicate fatal crashes-per-miles-traveled increased for individuals, ages 70 to 74. This number of fatal crashes-per-miles-traveled is highest among drivers ages 85 years or older.
The number of seniors involved in multiple-vehicle crashes at intersections grows exponentially for individuals ages 60 to 64.
Multiple-vehicle crashes accounted for 40 percent of fatal accidents in drivers age 80 and older compared to 20 percent of drivers ages 16 to 59."

https://seniors.lovetoknow.com/Elder...ing_Statistics

Old 01-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
"Studies also indicate fatal crashes-per-miles-traveled increased for individuals, ages 70 to 74. This number of fatal crashes-per-miles-traveled is highest among drivers ages 85 years or older.
The number of seniors involved in multiple-vehicle crashes at intersections grows exponentially for individuals ages 60 to 64.
Multiple-vehicle crashes accounted for 40 percent of fatal accidents in drivers age 80 and older compared to 20 percent of drivers ages 16 to 59."

https://seniors.lovetoknow.com/Elder...ing_Statistics
Curious to see since some of the liberal states that legalized recreational weed out West how many low speed crashes that will happen when the stoners that have the munchies looking for a Taco Bell or Wendy's and what age groups.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:16 PM   #30

Many older people will tell you they are excellent drivers. My mother insisted she was an excellent driver. After she turned 80 she hit a car, she hit a garage, she hit a pole....but yeah, she was an excellent driver. Even after we took her keys away, she still insisted she was an excellent driver and NONE of those accidents were her fault. Yeah. All those things just jumped out in front of her. It had nothing to do with the fact that her reaction time to situations was compromised.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

If driving at 97 was so dangerous, car insurance for older drivers would be over $100,000 per year but it's not. Teen age drivers are probably more dangerous since their rates are much higher.

Retiree_Having_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:25 PM   #32

Well, since your chart only goes up to age 85 and was starting to climb, we really don't know what it would be for a 97 year old. But I think it's rather telling that it's climbing at the more advanced ages.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I think you should have to pass a driving test to keep your license past a certain age(maybe 65?).
Are you actually serious??
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:49 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

My FIL who's in his 80's and lives in England drives much better than I could. Maybe it's not a British thing, but just his and my thing, I don't know.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Are you actually serious??
Why is that laughable? At age 65 you have likely gone nearly 50 years since your last driving test. A lot of people have significantly diminished faculties by that age. Testing seems reasonable to me. If you pass then you get a five year renewal.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:00 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Why is that laughable? At age 65 you have likely gone nearly 50 years since your last driving test. A lot of people have significantly diminished faculties by that age. Testing seems reasonable to me. If you pass then you get a five year renewal.
I believe in Texas the DMV tests over 65 every other renewal period. DW had to take the eye test and the driving test last Fall when she was 73. She passed with flying colors. She hasn't had an accident (if any) since before I have known her (26 years).
Old 01-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
65 still seems quite young to me, but I'll be there in a few years, so that may be why. When I was in my 30's, 65 was ancient.

And another thing. I see a lot of airport shuttle drivers are in their 60's and 70's. For whatever reason. I feel pretty safe in their hands, but it's likely that their reaction time is slower compared to the young ones.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:25 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I believe in Texas the DMV tests over 65 every other renewal period. DW had to take the eye test and the driving test last Fall when she was 73. She passed with flying colors. She hasn't had an accident (if any) since before I have known her (26 years).
I thought the additional evaluation age in Texas was 79: TxDPS - Drivers Age 79 or Older

Quote:
Drivers Age 79 or Older

In addition to the regular driver license renewal requirements, if you are 79 years of age or older you will be required to renew your driver license in-person at your local driver license office. During your renewal:

1. You will be required to successfully pass a vision test, and
2. A driver license office representative (CSR) will evaluate your responses provided at the time of your renewal regarding your medical history to determine if any additional testing is required*.

The Department does not have different licensing standards due to age, however it is our responsibility to ensure all licensed drivers are in good physical and medical condition, have the ability to operate a motor vehicle safely, and can follow all Texas traffic laws and rules. You will only be required to take a driving test or obtain additional information from your physician if, after being evaluated, it is determined that you may not be able to safely operate a motor vehicle.
Is it possible her medical history triggered the additional testing?
Old 01-19-2019, 08:45 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I thought the additional evaluation age in Texas was 79:

Is it possible her medical history triggered the additional testing?
Yes, she has handicapped plates on her car. That's probably what triggered it.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:53 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Oh wow. Our car has scratches on the bumper... would you make us quit driving?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
My mom drove until 90. I started seeing a few scratches on the side of her car so I talked her into giving it up.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote