Join Early Retirement Today

Driving at Age 97
Old 01-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
gone traveling

Driving at Age 97

What in his right mind to be driving at age 97? Prince Phillip of England flipped his Range Rover when he got into an accident with another vehicle recently.

Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Was the other driver Betty White?

GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
My Uncle was driving at age 96. Passed the yearly tests every year 1st time. Which is better than some new drivers.
He died before hitting 97.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Was the other driver Betty White?
Brilliant!
Old 01-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #5

He could have killed someone. Sure some 97 year olds have their faculties and are capable of driving. Same could be said of some 10 year olds. But we don’t let 10 year olds drive. And we shouldn’t let 97 year olds drive either. Licenses should be stripped at age 80 - tops. There is Uber, Lyft and countless other ride sharing services that can ensure that older people arrive safe and sound at their destinations, without killing someone on their way. And you’re telling me the Queen’s husband doesn’t have a team of professional drivers at his neck and call 24/7?
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #6

I think you should have to pass a driving test to keep you license past a certain age(maybe 65?). I know people in their 80's who are more physically able to drive than people in their 60's. It shouldn't just be automatic that you can't drive when you reach a certain age. Maybe have more frequent testing as you get older. Maybe have a driving test at 65 and then 70, 75, 80, 81, 82, 83.....
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #7

My father drove until 87 y.o. and is now legally blind at 89.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I think you should have to pass a driving test to keep you license past a certain age(maybe 65?). I know people in their 80's who are more physically able to drive than people in their 60's. It shouldn't just be automatic that you can't drive when you reach a certain age. Maybe have more frequent testing as you get older. Maybe have a driving test at 65 and then 70, 75, 80, 81, 82, 83.....
Rules varies from state to state. No provisions I heard of of senior citizens getting retested in an actual driving exam. In Florida, seniors need to pass a vision test if you are driving past age 80. Some states there is not even a vision test. Just show up at the DMV and get your picture retaken at the DMV office. Don't smile.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #9

It's insane IMO, to think it's okay to take someones drivers license (or anything else) away just because of their age. Some folks at 60 shouldn't be driving, others at 97+ "may" still be able to drive safely. Personally I do think it would be "reasonable" to require an annual drivers test after a certain age. (Maybe it should start at 75 or 80) Testing could be more than just driving too. But as long as they can pass the test(s) they should be allowed to drive.

If we are going to start thinking about taking away privileges/rights due to impairments of age, let's start with those who work in Washington DC...
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #10

My father still drives at nearly 94. While I am more comfortable when I drive, he doesn't scare me when I am riding with him.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
It's insane IMO, to think it's okay to take someones drivers license (or anything else) away just because of their age. Some folks at 60 shouldn't be driving, others at 97+ "may" still be able to drive safely. Personally I do think it would be "reasonable" to require an annual drivers test after a certain age. (Maybe it should start at 75 or 80) Testing could be more than just driving too. But as long as they can pass the test(s) they should be allowed to drive.

If we are going to start thinking about taking away privileges/rights due to impairments of age, let's start with those who work in Washington DC...

Agree with all of your comments

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
. And we shouldn’t let 97 year olds drive either. Licenses should be stripped at age 80 - tops. 24/7?
I totally disagree!! There are people of ALL ages that should not be driving. I see them every day.
By the way, I just turned 80, and passed my flight review. I also piloted a P-51 to celebrate my birthday.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #13

It anyone is 70 and going to rent a car in Europe, check the rental company's terms and conditions. They may not rent to such youngsters, much less The Prince.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:53 PM   #14

My mom drove fine and lived to almost 90. Taking licenses for age is ridiculous.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Uncle is 88 and still drives, with Aunt navigating.

Aunt is a tough lady, who would have taken the keys away long ago if she didn't feel safe. She says he's an alert, cautious driver, who never had a good sense of direction, even when young.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I totally disagree!! There are people of ALL ages that should not be driving. I see them every day.
By the way, I just turned 80, and passed my flight review. I also piloted a P-51 to celebrate my birthday.
+1

Congratulations on both.

I followed some person today doing 20 in a 40, straddling the center line and weaving. Were they intoxicated? Perhaps(it was 8 am), or a southern tourist who was looking at snow?

Who is going to decide? My DF drove till 93 and gave it up. Should he have quit earlier? I don't know, he had one fender bender a few years earlier that was his fault. The state of FL. didn't have an issue with him continuing to drive.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

My mom drove until 90. I started seeing a few scratches on the side of her car so I talked her into giving it up.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
Licenses should be stripped at age 80 - tops.
That's just the way you feel - until you're 79.

Really, I've seen drivers who were fine at 90 and some who were "an accident going someplace to happen" at age 40.

I've thought for years that the driver's license should completely expire every two years and then the driver would have to re-qualify, including the written test, completely then. And the loudest howls of protest will come from those who are afraid they can't do it.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
My Uncle was driving at age 96. Passed the yearly tests every year 1st time. Which is better than some new drivers.
He died before hitting 97.
We could use yearly tests in my state for drivers of all ages!
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:14 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Souchef is only kidding. I know what he does, and where he goes.... He's 45, and he and Kathy will be that age forever.

Oh... and by the way, he also knows how to fly a MIG-15.