Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Driving is a pain in the butt
Old 06-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Driving is a pain in the butt

To be more accurate… driving is a pain in my butt. I’m only 45, but it sure seems like the older I get, the more difficult it is for me to spend much time in the driver’s seat. A couple weekends ago, I drove to a destination only a couple hours away and was really uncomfortable by the time I got there. Is it possible that it has to something to do with some weight loss I’ve had? Maybe I need to figure out how to get a couple pounds back on the back end. Anyway, the whole thing seems pretty ridiculous. I don’t think my car seat is that uncomfortable.

The thing is, we’ll be driving from Wisconsin to Colorado this summer, which according to Google Maps, is longer than two hours. We’ll be stopping about half way for a break but that’s still a pretty long drive for someone who apparently now has issues with his posterior within a couple hours. So what’s the answer, short of booking a flight? Is it time to get a fanny cushion or something? Maybe one of those massaging seat covers? Pretty sure that would just put me to sleep. Any sage advice from those who have experienced similar issues when driving? I can’t wait for the jokes!
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My simple suggestions for long road trips:

1. Make sure you have a supportive seat and that it is properly adjusted
2. Wear comfortable clothing and shoes
3. Stay hydrated: bring a water bottle and use it
4. On straight stretches, engage cruise control and take the opportunity to shift slightly in your seat
5. Get out and stretch your legs (and go to the bathroom) every 2-3 hours
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Make sure to remove wallet from back pocket, has helped me many times.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #4

This happens to my husband and he first removes his wallet and sometimes used an egg crate style foam cushion he bought on Amazon.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
+1 YES

Also, you don't mention how old the car is. Seats do wear out.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #6

If your car seat comes with an adjustable lumbar support make sure it's adjusted correctly. If not can pick up a lumbar cushion for your back. Having your car seat tilted too far back may seem more comfortable but is not good for your back. Most of your weight should be supported by the back of your thighs which usually requires a more upright seating position than most people use. Also, adjust and use the head rest, it may seem awkward at first if you're not use to using it but it can help with neck issues.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #7

Forever Comfy Cushion | Seat Cushion | AsSeenOnTV Store
Old 06-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #8

How much exercise and what kind of shape are you in? Squats, Squats with weights, Planks and Step-ups are exercises that can strengthen core muscles. If you don't have good core muscles your body sags the longer you are in the drivers seat. This effects your whole core, stomach, rib cage and back and tires you out.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
How much exercise and what kind of shape are you in? Squats, Squats with weights, Planks and Step-ups are exercises that can strengthen core muscles. If you don't have good core muscles your body sags the longer you are in the drivers seat. This effects your whole core, stomach, rib cage and back and tires you out.
This was going to be my response. DH says I've become a gym rat . But, I get the last laugh as I have no more sciatica (both legs), no more back pain and can sit and stand long periods of time w/o pain. YMMV, but for me, building up my core strength has worked miracles.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #10

For years I drove a Honda Pilot. On long trips, and sometimes short trips, I would get out stiff and it would take several steps to work out the kinks. About a year ago I purchased a high end Nisan Murano. What a difference!. Both cars had a lumbar seat and most adjustments are the same. However, we took a trip from Huston to Washington D.C. and back with no aches or pains. I understand the newer models have even more comfort.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
For years I drove a Honda Pilot. On long trips, and sometimes short trips, I would get out stiff and it would take several steps to work out the kinks. About a year ago I purchased a high end Nisan Murano. What a difference!. Both cars had a lumbar seat and most adjustments are the same. However, we took a trip from Huston to Washington D.C. and back with no aches or pains. I understand the newer models have even more comfort.

Ayup. My bony butt is not built for continued sitting so I make sure the wallet is in the console and I gotta say that the seats in our 14 year old BMW wagon are really built right. They work, as opposed to the things in our inherited Honda Element. Good seats = big difference.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #12
Administrator

I get my wife to do the bulk of the driving, and put the driver seat back horizontal to recover during my spells as a passenger.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #13

If you will be driving on the interstate, stop at every rest area. That's what they're there for. The interstate rest areas are spaced appropriately for long drives.

As for me, I usually take the scenic route (the old U.S. highways), but I stop somewhere about every two hours.
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Our old cars have 5 way power seats, plus the variable lumbar support. On the longer rides, every half hour or so, a forward back, up down, tilt forward and back seems to help... especially as we get older. Since our longer trips are rare, when we do go, naproxen helps the arthritis twinges.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

1. Make sure you have a supportive seat and that it is properly adjusted
2. Wear comfortable clothing and shoes
3. Stay hydrated: bring a water bottle and use it
4. On straight stretches, engage cruise control and take the opportunity to shift slightly in your seat
5. Get out and stretch your legs (and go to the bathroom) every 2-3 hours
Good tips, thanks. I'm good at items 2 and 4 but not so much the others. No idea if my seat is any good, but we do drive older cars. Maybe that's part of the problem. I don't like to drink much when driving because I just have to stop all the time. I guess that shoots down items 5 also, since I prefer to just get the driving over with to get there sooner. Might have to change that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
This one I'm good at!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
+1 YES

Also, you don't mention how old the car is. Seats do wear out.
One is a 2005 and the other is a 2003. Both have pretty low miles (80,000 and 102,000, respectively) so replacement doesn't seem like a reasonable solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
This commercial is hilarious.

Quote:
Actually, pretty good I'd say. A year and a half ago, not so good. Since then, I've been working out (cardio and strength training) 5-7 days a week. Good core, etc. Actually, I was wondering if part of my issue was that my glutes and hammies are just sore from my workouts, which I tend to vary a lot to work as many muscle groups as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I get my wife to do the bulk of the driving, and put the driver seat back horizontal to recover during my spells as a passenger.
Actually, I really need to take DW on her offer to drive more. Also, my son is driving age now, so there's no reason why we can't share the driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
If you will be driving on the interstate, stop at every rest area. That's what they're there for. The interstate rest areas are spaced appropriately for long drives.

As for me, I usually take the scenic route (the old U.S. highways), but I stop somewhere about every two hours.
I plan to do this all the time once retired... for now it feels like our vacations are on the clock. Need to get to A then B then C so we can get our itinerary in and get home in time for work again. Kind of makes for a stressful trip sometimes.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

1. Make sure you have a supportive seat and that it is properly adjusted.....
hours
that made a BIG difference for us.
Our 8 hr. drives to Fl. got a lot easier when we switched from the
98 Camry to the 2012 Elantra with the lumbar support
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:04 AM   #17
Administrator

I have a hard time in the car, we drive long distances at least twice a year and are trying to increase the frequency of our travel. Three hours without stopping Ito get out and stretch is my max, 8 hours in the car is about as much as I can take in a day. More than that is just too painful.

A car with comfortable and supportive seats helps. So does one with lots of leg room. The driver's position has lots con controls in my car and slight changes during the day - height and tilt - help shift the discomfort around. When I drove the Subaru (very hard seats) to Fl I sat on a thick towel and it seemed to help.

Still, nothing beats aspirin combined with stopping every 2 1/2 hours to stretch. Takes us longer to get where we're going, that's not going to change and we're not going to fly. No rush or need for speed.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:43 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I agree with this, and not having a wallet in your back pocket. Squats and deadlifts are awesome. I used to have frequent sciatic nerve pain but since I started strength training and running the pain is a rare occurrence.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Does your vehicle need suspension work, by any chance? I had a similar problem after Hurricane Katrina. The roads/streets were ruined and we were essentially driving off road most of the time over shockingly rugged terrain. That offroad driving ruined the suspension on F's Murano, causing me some pain but getting the suspension fixed really helped.

Nature has given me extra padding, and I work out a lot. So, with the blissfully comfortable adjustable lumbar support in my Venza driver's seat, and with a good suspension and comparatively adequate roads to drive on (despite our infamous potholes) these days, I have no similar problems to report lately.

Definitely get one of those seat pads/cushions that truck drivers use. It can't do any harm and might help. Even a few thick towels help a little.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote