Drone Defender

There is no substitute for the sound of racking a 12 gauge, or viewing the results of the trigger pull.

There is no substitute for the sound of racking a 12 gauge, or viewing the results of the trigger pull.

No doubt about that, but frequently there a silly laws about discharging firearms near dwellings, other people, or in urban areas. State legislators are such wusses.

Anyway, the result of using the 12 gauge may be one's arrest, a decided inconvenience for most people. In this regard the DroneDefender has a distinct advantage.

The bad news is that the DroneDefender uses a higher powered radio signal to swamp the drone's control signals and force it down on it's "loss of control signals" safety protocol (if any), so the gadget will only be available to federal officers.

The interesting news is that RC drones operate on frequencies that lie within the 2390-2450 MHz and 5650-5925 MHz amateur radio bands. A Technician-class license is needed to operate radio transmitters up to 1,500 watts output in those bands.

RC drones are FCC 'Part 15' devices, which have no particular right to operate on a frequency, and must accept any interference received. (47 CFR 15.5 (a)(b))

No doubt about that, but frequently there a silly laws about discharging firearms near dwellings, other people, or in urban areas. State legislators are such wusses.

Anyway, the result of using the 12 gauge may be one's arrest, a decided inconvenience for most people. In this regard the DroneDefender has a distinct advantage.

A pellet gun might be more sporting but I doubt the damn things stay still.

A pellet gun might be more sporting but I doubt the damn things stay still.
When I was a kid we'd unload shotgun shells and fire the lead BBs out of a pellet rifle using wadding. Good for Starlings and House Sparrows. :angel:

Private drones already become more than a nuisance; they cause a hazard in several wildfires because they prevent firefighters from using helicopters. The drones can get sucked into turbine engines of planes and choppers and cause them to crash.

In a recent wildfire in California, up to 5 private drones were up taking video footage, causing delay in fire suppressing activities.

See: 5 drones over North Fire delay firefighting aircrafts.

The bad news is that the DroneDefender uses a higher powered radio signal to swamp the drone's control signals and force it down on it's "loss of control signals" safety protocol (if any), so the gadget will only be available to federal officers.

The interesting news is that RC drones operate on frequencies that lie within the 2390-2450 MHz and 5650-5925 MHz amateur radio bands. A Technician-class license is needed to operate radio transmitters up to 1,500 watts output in those bands.

RC drones are FCC 'Part 15' devices, which have no particular right to operate on a frequency, and must accept any interference received. (47 CFR 15.5 (a)(b))

Even though 'Part 15' devices don't have the right to operate on a particular frequency, you as an amateur radio operator would quickly lose your license if you start broad spectrum jamming the air waves with 1500 watts. That would be against the FCC rules. The license doesn't mean you can do whatever you feel like in the frequencies you are allowed to operate.

The correct and safe way to take out a drone is using a high power laser. My town has a ban on shooting firearms in the city limits but says nothing at all about the use of 100kW doped fiber lasers. Now if I can just win that ebay auction...

Even though 'Part 15' devices don't have the right to operate on a particular frequency, you as an amateur radio operator would quickly lose your license if you start broad spectrum jamming the air waves with 1500 watts. That would be against the FCC rules. The license doesn't mean you can do whatever you feel like in the frequencies you are allowed to operate.
skip the 1500W being the issue, the intentionally interfering with communications would let you kiss your license goodbye forever. I had someone who wanted me to design one of these. Does not look like too difficult of a thing to do. I told him I would work on it if he could get exemptions from the FCC rules.
The other issue is, "what else will you disrupt"? wifi, weather radar, people's home automation (wifi), commercial installations, etc...
loosing the license may be the least of one's worries.
If the drones work off devices that meet wifi standards, the required power to disrupt would not be all that high with a high gain antenna. But the EIRP would likely exceed wifi standards.
depending on where you live, shooting them down may have less penalties.

It looks like drones will have to be registered and the days of unhampered drone flying will be controlled. And there have been too many drones landing around the White House.

I do know that it is illegal to fly drones on National Parks. That is good.

I can hear it now, "If drones are outlawed, only outlaws will have drones".

U.S. Will Require Drones to Be Registered - NBC News

Laser pointers will be next...

Last edited:

No jamming. Working moonbounce when the drone operator decided to fly into the beam path. I was running a pair of 2C39s at 200 watts into the feedpoint of an old TVRO 3 meter dish using JT65 digital mode, as part of the annual Earth-Moon-Earth communications competition. The antenna was oriented with the beam above the horizon, across my back yard and over the roof of my house.

I was NOT going to skip the event just because this idiot insists on flying his drone around and around my antennas every weekend.

View attachment 22453

Last edited:
Just wait until Christmas. There will be more drones from the neighbors kids scouting back yards and windows.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom