Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
These things are seriously cool. Inherently stable platform made more so by some cool electronics like GPS programmability for return to home or go to co-ordinates, barometric pressure/GPS controlled hover at altitude, operator vicinity 'no-fly zone' and a bunch of other stuff. Most are so lightweight as not to pose much of a problem if they do fall out of the sky. Terminal velocity and masses would limit damage to much of anything. I can't see many of these putting much of a dent in even a small private plane and a jet engine would probably tolerate one better than a couple of Canada Geese. I do recall the FAA have something to say about the plan to deliver 6 packs to ice fisherman in Wisconsin (or was it Minnesota?) not too long ago. Sure there will be lots of guidelines coming up. I plan to get mine before they shut them down!

The survey one I looked at is about the size of a goose. And fragile - you have to get a new body after 100 landings or so.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another reason to limit drone use.

Tourist crashes drone with camera into Yellowstone National Park, potentially damaging it

Of course, this guy makes the drone idiot look good

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...807-3d9gn.html

Old 09-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bumping for a really funny thread from 2 geeks, discussing drones... safety and government regulation. Geek Vs Geek: Is There a Case for Outlawing Toy Drones? | eHow Tech | eHow
Old 09-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #44

I couldn't resist and I got a couple of the little Hubsan X4 drones that they were talking about. Some serious fun. It's only a matter of time until we upgrade to one of the DJI Phantoms. Way better than my old Cox fishing line model!
Old 09-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #45

Drones seem like a lot of fun and they have become very popular for aerial photography. I do winder though what's your liability exposure? and how does it compare to flying rc planes/helicopters?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is there a drone I can put my GOPro on?

Just bought one of those and it is a lot of fun.................
Old 09-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post

Here's another option: Eagle with GoPro camera captures Mexico stadium scene - Videos - CBS News

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Funny guy, have seen that.

We are going to mount on our Springer this weekend and take her running. should be fun playing with the rest of the pack and jumping in the pool............
Old 09-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Drones seem like a lot of fun and they have become very popular for aerial photography. I do winder though what's your liability exposure? and how does it compare to flying rc planes/helicopters?
If it hits an aircraft, or causes an aircraft to have to avoid flight (re: the recent case where a helicopter medevac flight couldn't transport an injured person because a guy was operating his drone in the area), I would think the liability would be virtually unlimited if the drone was operating outside the rules presently established for model aircraft. I.e. can't be within 5 miles of an airport, must only be for hobby or recreational use, must be under visual observation by the operator at all times (without use of binoculars or other visual aids), cannot be operated in a manner that endangers the safety of the National Airspace System (which is very broad), not within a temporary flight restriction (TFR) or other area in which aviation is prohibited, etc, etc. (TFRs are established around POTUS, around emergency locations (a bad train crash, over large assemblies of people, etc).

The law in this area is evolving, but for liability purposes if something bad happens and the drone wasn't adhering to the rules set for everyone else, I'd expect a jury would inclined to hold the drone operator responsible.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
If it hits an aircraft, or causes an aircraft to have to avoid flight (re: the recent case where a helicopter medevac flight couldn't transport an injured person because a guy was operating his drone in the area), I would think the liability would be virtually unlimited if the drone was operating outside the rules presently established for model aircraft.
Yeah that doesn't sound good to me. Actually I didn't even consider interference with other aircraft but I was more worried about them falling out of the sky and hitting something. I remember reading a news story where some photographer lost control of their drone at a running event and it hit a participant (she needed stitches). If a camera fell off at altitude I think it could easily kill someone.

I saw a crazy video where someone flew their drone through a fireworks display. I imagine that even if a firework hit the drone on the way up, it probably wouldn't have deflected into a bad spot unless the drone was really low. But you never know.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #51

My insurance company, which has a number of packages for photographers, sent me details (unsolicited) for drone coverage: basically it's roughly $1250 for $1M of liability coverage. Seems somewhat high to me.

I don't know what the heck it covers though since they say: "Yes. Aerial Pak™ policyholders further agree to operate all UAV equipment within the guidelines of the RCAPA organization and the FAA. "

However the FAA has prohibited any commercial use of drones (and they have been going after commercial photographers who use drones). So you couldn't satisfy the insurance requirements. I think there have been some lawsuits challenging whether FAA can even regulate drones but the insurance company did say "guidelines" and not "legal operating requirements".
Old 09-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
My insurance company, which has a number of packages for photographers, sent me details (unsolicited) for drone coverage: basically it's roughly $1250 for $1M of liability coverage. Seems somewhat high to me.
Seems high to me too, considering that the weight of most of them is measured in ounces, not pounds. It's probably on the high side because there just isn't enough data yet to know what the risk of loss is. It'll be a decade or more before they have accurate information on that.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post

GoPro Video Of The Day | DJI Phantom - Niagara Falls

The DJI Phantom series come with gimballed gopro mounts. This is a video of Niagara Falls shot with one.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #54

SCOTUS Justice Sotomayor weighs in on drones:

Sotomayor: Americans Should be Alarmed by Spread of Drones - Law Blog - WSJ

Quote:
Said Justice Sotomayor:

There are drones flying over the air randomly that are recording everything that’s happening on what we consider our private property. That type of technology has to stimulate us to think about what is it that we cherish in privacy and how far we want to protect it and from whom. Because people think that it should be protected just against government intrusion, but I don’t like the fact that someone I don’t know…can pick up, if they’re a private citizen, one of these drones and fly it over my property.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #55

For the life of my I really don't understand this concern. The capability to photograph or tape things from above has been around since airplanes and cameras were invented. It's just easier now than ever before.

And it is well documented that no one has a right to privacy outside their house, back yard or no.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
For the life of my I really don't understand this concern. The capability to photograph or tape things from above has been around since airplanes and cameras were invented. It's just easier now than ever before.

And it is well documented that no one has a right to privacy outside their house, back yard or no.
Still doesn't make it 'right' to purposely spy and record someone in their backyard from a drone.

That is creepy and wrong in my book.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm... It seems that quite a few drones operate on the 2.4 GHz band under low power limits (FCC Part 15 rules).

As a licensed primary user of this spectrum, interference from the drone control signal concerns me.

Also, it would be unfortunate if a drone were to wander into the beam of the steerable azimuth-elevation very high gain directional antenna that's driven with 1.5 kilowatts (peak envelope power), more than that home microwave has inside it, while I was experimenting with Earth-Moon-Earth communications paths.

The point being: Hobbyists and others should be damn careful where they fly that thing. Don't expect someone else to look out for stray toys. Don't be surprised when someone else takes offense at your behavior.

Yeah, there's no 'right to privacy' outside the house, even in a back yard. So, what range of responses would you be expecting if you were to poke a camera through a fence knothole? You ready for that?

Remember, you are holding a radio transmitter in your hands while flying that drone. There's a whole hobby built around races to find hidden radio transmitters.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Still doesn't make it 'right' to purposely spy and record someone in their backyard from a drone.

That is creepy and wrong in my book.
Oh, I understand completely about that. And if I were foolish enough to fly one over someone's fenced-in back yard I wouldn't be a bit surprised to hear a loud "boom" coinciding with the sudden disintegration of my drone.

I just don't understand the high level of emotionalism about it.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:05 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

My son is a construction engineer for a large company in SF. So they're building a tall building for condo's....got to sell them, right?

While the pilings are going in, they send up a drone to the exact coordinates for say, the 46th floor. They then post it with their real estate agents. "This is your view looking West"
Old 09-13-2014, 07:27 AM   #60

I have built a few drones:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Iris No TX-1.jpg (72.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3571 (Medium).JPG (111.9 KB, 8 views)