Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #21

Got the go pro working today, but it doesn't look like a good day for droning. And the lake looks a little rough for boating.
Attached Files

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Got the go pro working today, but it doesn't look like a good day for droning. And the lake looks a little rough for boating.
Better today for practice touring the house.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nice! I just hope our flight paths do not intersect!

Only if you're headed to the same crash sight as me...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
These drones provide the ultimate selfie.
Or the ultimate paparazzi or Peeping Tom tool...if I see one of these approaching me while out on the lake, I will certainly do something unladylike with my middle finger.
Or perhaps go through the motions of pulling out and taking aim with a slingshot.

I actually think they are neat gadgets, and can do some good when in the "right hands". Unfortunately, the invasion of privacy potential when in the "wrong hands" is going to make for some interesting legal situations.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Or the ultimate paparazzi or Peeping Tom tool...if I see one of these approaching me while out on the lake, I will certainly do something unladylike with my middle finger.
Or perhaps go through the motions of pulling out and taking aim with a slingshot.

I actually think they are neat gadgets, and can do some good when in the "right hands". Unfortunately, the invasion of privacy potential when in the "wrong hands" is going to make for some interesting legal situations.

Based on my piloting skills, if you see a drone operating in a controlled manner, it's not me...

Old 02-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'm sure you could take one down with bird shot. You'd probably be within your rights as long as you were in a location that allowed the discharge of weapons. "But officer, I was firing on a quail and the drone jumped in between me and my target".
Old 02-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I'm sure you could take one down with bird shot. You'd probably be within your rights as long as you were in a location that allowed the discharge of weapons. "But officer, I was firing on a quail and the drone jumped in between me and my target".
Nah, I wouldn't wreck someone's toy. But...imagine the response when the operator sees me going through the motions, either through a live feed to the laptop or during later video review.
OMG crazy boater woman with a slingshot.

No shooting of any kind is allowed on this lake, BTW. I like that law.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Based on my piloting skills, if you see a drone operating in a controlled manner, it's not me...

Whew...I'll be safe at sea.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No shooting of any kind is allowed on this lake, BTW. I like that law.
How about dropping a little string?

Rapere Is An Anti-Drone Interceptor | Popular Science

Quote:
In place of missiles or cannons, Rapere will strike with string by lowering a tangle line onto the rotors of its prey. In order to find that prey, Rapere is set to be fitted with 12 fast cameras, looking for the motion of another well-lit object in the low sky. Rapere flights will be short sprints, designed to identify a target, attack, and return to a charging station all within a short, two-minute fight span.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
How about dropping a little string?

Rapere Is An Anti-Drone Interceptor | Popular Science
http://zippy.gfycat.com/IgnorantOffbeatBarasinga.mp4

Works for me...

Of course, these drones all share control frequencies with the 2.4 GHz amateur radio band, where I happen to be licensed to use up to 1,500 watts of power into highly directional antennae... Drone Fricasee, anyone?
Old 02-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Of course, these drones all share control frequencies with the 2.4 GHz amateur radio band, where I happen to be licensed to use up to 1,500 watts of power into highly directional antennae... Drone Fricasee, anyone?
Ayup, that ought to do 'im in.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

It will be very interesting to see how all this turns out. I am sure there will be some test cases in courts, where the hobbyist pilot did something to cross into private property, either by intent or an honest mistake while learning to fly the RC air vehicle.

Private companies doing outdoor field testing of a new product will now have to be sure that a competitor is not spying from above.
Women will be constantly looking into the sky to make sure there is no drone recording them while sunbathing or engaged in other open space backyard activities that formerly were private.
Law enforcement may have to be concerned that footage of children playing outside is not being recorded for less than honorable purposes.

The sales of long handled telescoping tennis rackets and butterfly nets will skyrocket.

This kind of reminds me of what happens if the Frisbee or baseball landed in the neighbor's yard. Will the neighbor just throw it back over the fence ? Does that neighbor have to return the device if the pilot invaded their aerial space over their private property ?

Inquiring minds want to know...
Old 02-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This kind of reminds me of what happens if the Frisbee or baseball landed in the neighbor's yard. Will the neighbor just throw it back over the fence ? Does that neighbor have to return the device if the pilot invaded their aerial space over their private property ?

Inquiring minds want to know...
Hey you kids! Git offa my lawn outta my airspace!
Old 02-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #34

I'm playing around with the idea of getting a cheap drone quadcopter. $60 gets the drone RTF (ready to fly) with a still and video camera. The camera is low resolution and it has about a 5-minute flight time but it'd be interesting to learn with.

Heh, heh. It briefly (very briefly) occurred to me to fly it over DW while she's in the shower. I'm fairly sure she would not be amused.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:17 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'm playing around with the idea of getting a cheap drone quadcopter. $60 gets the drone RTF (ready to fly) with a still and video camera. The camera is low resolution and it has about a 5-minute flight time but it'd be interesting to learn with.
Wow, I didn't know they made them that small and inexpensive. It won't do that much compared to a DJI Phantom for example, but then I shouldn't expect much at 1/10th the price or thereabouts. It appears the $100 and less quadcopters are a great value for a beginner. I might have to have one too...

There's probably some value in buying a cheap quad before committing to a more serious drone to learn the basics of flying, and save some time and money on repairs to a higher-end drone down the line. You'll also be able to see first-hand how cool it is to put a camera in the air - even if almost all of the footage is too wobbly and low-res to share with anybody but friends and family.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Drones and Boats
Old 02-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Drones and Boats

This is the quadcopter that I bought very recently...

http://www.amazon.com/UDI-U818A-2-4G.../dp/B00D3IN11Q

Not a very adept pilot just yet, but the little bugger is nearly indestructible.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
There's probably some value in buying a cheap quad before committing to a more serious drone to learn the basics of flying, and save some time and money on repairs to a higher-end drone down the line.
That's what I was thinking. While I have lots of R/C fixed-wing time these are an entirely different beast. Some of the skills will transfer but others will be new.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #38

Finally got the drone running and made a short video:

Old 03-12-2015, 02:25 PM   #39

You're off to a good start with it.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Finally got the drone running and made a short video:

Desert video
That looks great!

I am surprised at how steady the footage is. Was it a windless or calm-ish day, or is the Phantom that steady? Or the operator that good?

Unfortunately the application I am thinking about would be more fun on windy days (10-20 mph), but I am concerned those will also be days the drone will be sorta all over the place degrading of video steadiness.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote