Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #41
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
We still have elementary aged kids directing traffic at our neighborhood elementary school. It is unfortunate though - half the time those kids are waving the flags around like they are flag twirler girls during half time of a football game. I basically ignore them, slow down, avoid hitting them if they are in the middle of the road, and avoid pedestrians.
so, the plan is working...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
so, the plan is working...
With respect to me, yes it is working. But the other couple hundred cars that pass by them per hour may be on the cell phone, and/or smoking, and/or drinking, and or eating, and/or changing the radio channel, etc.

I drive defensively. I carry the state minimum liability insurance and I certainly don't want to take my own money and pay for someone else's trip to Jamaica if I tap them ever so lightly with my car. Besides, I still have the factory paint job on my car, and I imagine hitting a 6 year old at speeds in excess of 25 mph might really screw up that beautiful paint job. And at least one of us would have a really bad day.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucija View Post
It's all relative... My kid is riding a bus now, but once in high school (unless something changes) I will be doing the drop-off (or some type of car-pool).

Our local high school is very close, less than 2 min by car, but it's on a stretch of the road I am afraid to walk on (very narrow, people zoom by, nowhere to hide or jump out of way) - so, walking is out of question. Taking the bus back home should not be a problem, but on the way to school they get picked up at 6:15 AM and are on the bus for more than one hour (picking up other kids).

... I forgot to mention, the high school is on the way to any/all major roads, so it's also on the way to work or anywhere else I may need to go (no special trip needed).
I get the driving, our HS is far away too and many hills in between, but the need to wait for a LONG time to get ON campus to pick up/drop off in front seems excessive. You could easily drop them off a block or two from school and avoid the traffic and the lines...and yes, there are parents who get there a half hour early or more to get the good spots...
Old 05-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #44
gone traveling

Wow, have times changed, I wouldn't have been caught dead being dropped off by my parents in front of the high school- I worked so I could afford a car my junior and senior year, prior to that I would have dived out of the family car a block away...
Old 05-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Nice.......
but USELESS without pics.........
Old 05-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
but USELESS without pics.........
Best sig line I have ever had, on any forum anywhere........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow, have times changed, I wouldn't have been caught dead being dropped off by my parents in front of the high school- I worked so I could afford a car my junior and senior year, prior to that I would have dived out of the family car a block away...
It was pretty cool my high school years. The old HS was converted to an elementary school, when they built the new high school right next door. The schools were connected by a passageway. My stepmom was a teacher, so she used to drive me to school until I got my own car. I was "dropped off" at the elementary school and walked inside to the HS, so noone could give me crap. It got better my senior year, because class for her started later, I was constantly 10 minutes late to my first hour. Luckily, my HS track coach was my first hour teacher. When folks complained, he would say:

"Scott could graduate in December but he's staying around to help the track team this year, as well as being involved in concert band, jazz band, and pep band, and is on the Yearbook staff. As soon as you start helping this school other than being an whiner, maybe we'll offer you the same deal"........ Thanks, Mr. Ohan.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote