Drunk astronauts?

I think I'd have a cocktail before I stepped into a giant tube filled with liquid propellant that was going to shoot me into space.

I was just about to post a link to that story. Man, Leno is going to have a field day with it!

The Right Stuff
booze.jpg

Houston: For the next procedure you will need a screwdriver.
Shuttle: Roger, Houston, we're mixing it.

Must be mental breakdowns hanging out with this guy up at the space station lol

gray_alien_50yrs_of_denial_photo1.jpg

So did they pull the space shuttle over because it was weaving in and out of the clouds?:bat:

Maybe they wanted to research the effects of alcohol in space?:duh:

Now a report that astronauts have been drinking before a mission?
That's odd, I would've expected the heavy drinking to occur DURING a mission. After all one of the requirements for a good distillation system is a solid vacuum. I'm jealous of anyone who has an unlimited supply of such a precious resource.

Navy aviation may have [-]had[/-] its own alcohol-fueled culture but it's a pervasive military problem. During one of our 1980s submarine ballistic-missile patrols the oranges kept disappearing from the mess decks. Strange smells were also noted in the operations compartment but no cause was determined. A month later, while taking a large trim angle during training, several clanging noises were heard from the Missile Control Center followed by a gushing river of highly fermented orange juice under the cable runs outboard the compartment. Those fun-lovin' ballistic-missile electronics techs, with their top-secret clearances behind their cypherlocked doors, had been doing 10-20 gallons of their own personal top-secret experimenting.

A 1990s attack submarine had a similar incident during another angles & dangles drill when an empty drawer in an electronics cabinet was being used to store the division's stash of Jack Daniel's. You never want to see liquids dribbling out of reactor plant control cabinets, let alone highly-flammable distillates...

OK, REW, time for the USAF SAC stories!

Navy aviation may have [-]had[/-] its own alcohol-fueled culture but it's a pervasive military problem.

I don't think it's nearly as bad as it was, the alcohol education program really cut back on drinking (along with some fun) during my early AF days. Some random fog-shrouded memories:

A rated supplement SAC pilot leaving the cockpit of his T29 after flying a bunch of missile crew guys, with a half empty bottle of Jim Beam, saying he needed it to calm his nerves.

Decorative swords torn off the club wall to serve as sword fights at the club after heavy drinking.

Inspectors finding booze inside safes during inspection, asking if there was a drinking problem at the unit. The answer: "No, you can get a drink just about anywhere."

Another inspector, asking how many of the pilots had a drinking problem. Answer: "All of them."

The Commander's wife ("Hi, I'm Mrs General __") shutting down the club after too many after hours crew shenanigans.
crazy2.gif

Others I will keep quiet about
rolleyes.gif

If you go into military clubs nowadays, most of them are quiet, proper, and losing money. Probably for the best, we were too close to the edge back then.

If you go into military clubs nowadays, most of them are quiet, proper, and losing money. Probably for the best, we were too close to the edge back then.
I agree with your points.

I can't help wondering how today's "intrusive leadership" has driven the issue underground.

So could this have had anything to do with NASA smacking that probe into the side of mars?

A little "Probing While Intoxicated"?

Which I guess is a nice little joke all unto itself.

(yeah I know about the english/metric conversion screwup)

I can't help wondering how today's "intrusive leadership" has driven the issue underground.

I don't know, but one of the unintended consequences was to destroy the spirit of camaraderie, it seems now it's all about ME and dog eat dog. Hey, enjoyed your sub story, but that would have been a straight one way ticket out of SAC -- don't know why I never thought of it
smiley.gif
Guess the difference, unlike a sub, in SAC we eventually got time off to carouse.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind sending her to the moon. And maybe Lindsay Lohan would go with her.

Think of the drunk astronauts as space pirates.

Pirates... always suckin' down the rum.

-CC

The crews are quarantined in Houston for a few weeks before a mission. That's to make sure none of them come down with a cold or flu during the mission. Once they got to Kennedy, there was a "traditional" party the night before the launch. Some of them were pretty wild from what I heard. This goes back to way before the shuttle days.

Anyone else think that somehow astronauts and proctologists job names got switched around by accident?

Back
Top Bottom