Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2015, 02:15 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
I used to think a level of 0.08 was arbitrary and low, but I now understand it's actually pretty generous (to drunk drivers). If you blow a 0.09%, you're seriously impaired, in my opinion. Of course, it varies by person, and other factors, but for an average male, it would take A LOT more than a couple of beers to get you anywhere near 0.08.
You are correct. Although I didn't normally put it on my resume, I am a professional drunk. That means that (once) I got paid to get drunk so that police officer candidates in the academy would have live drunks to practice on administering the roadside sobriety tests. A cruiser picked me up at home, drove me to the academy, and half a dozen of us then partied on the County's dime for a couple of hours before the class members got their practice. Then someone else drove me home. The downside of this exercise was that there I was at 3:00 PM and the day was shot and I couldn't go anywhere because I was drunk. So I didn't volunteer again.( And of course there are lots of funny stories about what other things the officers said and did while drunk at the academy....)

I got blitzed and I knew it but only blew a .09. So when someone blew .08 or higher and said they "only had two drinks" I knew they were either lying or had faulty memories. And I also knew they were very dangerous to other people driving.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I want a biotech company to develop a daily pill that turns a person's skin orange if they take a drink. Oh wait, I just saw John Boehner on the tv, so we'd have to pick a different color.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I do hope the program in SD really does work. But I seriously have doubts about drunks having to show up every morning and evening, for an average of five months, to visit a police facility to take a breathalyzer test. I think most people with addictions have a life long pattern of being irresponsible. I find it hard to believe these drunks can change their habits so easily. I believe we need to have harsher punishments for drunk driving. And not just alcohol, either.

Around here, after the drunks have lost their license, (and assuming they did not kill or maim someone), they buy a moped. We call them, "Liquor Cycles". It does not require a license nor insurance and they can get back on the road to go to work or the liquor store. I used to believe that mopeds should be licensed and insured. But after talking to a lawyer friend, he changed my opinion.

This is what he says: "So what's the answer: give him (or her) the means for transportation that will not KILL YOU. No insurance?? You think the guy is going to buy insurance if they get another car (which will most likely be unregistered?). Let him, (or her) drive around on their mopeds. Hell, I'll run them down or let them hit me. I DON'T LOSE either way what that dumb drunk does. Unless we give these folks good public transportation, (which we don't have), they are going to get around some way. Keep them out of cars or trucks and let them ride their little scooters.

Otherwise...The guy who hit you with the moped is not longer on a moped, he is driving drunk in a 1978 Cadillac that is uninsured and unregistered. He strikes your car, killing the passenger and rendering you hemiplegic; your car is totaled. He may go to jail, but who cares? YOU are screwed, to say the least. Same no insurance, no license, no nothing, and YOU lose."

So, my answer to the drunk driving problem is to make them use mopeds. Unless the South Dakota program really works for five months. What after the five months?
Old 08-19-2015, 07:37 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
But I seriously have doubts about drunks having to show up every morning and evening, for an average of five months, to visit a police facility to take a breathalyzer test. I think most people with addictions have a life long pattern of being irresponsible. I find it hard to believe these drunks can change their habits so easily.
The article says 99% of the people are showing up for the tests. That's pretty good. And for those who don't show up? They can be easily identified and arrested. When a person has their license revoked, there's pretty much no way to follow up as effectively--they often just start driving again and enforcement only occurs when they get in an accident or get a ticket.

Quote:
Around here, after the drunks have lost their license, (and assuming they did not kill or maim someone), they buy a moped.
I'm with your lawyer friend--that's great if they cause offenders to use a mode of transportation that poses little threat of killing somebody else, and it's a responsible move on the part of the offender. But you are in SC where the weather is fairly moderate all year. When it is 10F outside and the roads are slushy, I'll bet many of those offenders with revoked licenses are driving cars.

Quote:
Unless the South Dakota program really works for five months. What after the five months?
We've got the same problem after a person has had a suspended license--what then? At least in the case of this Sobriety 24/7 program, the person has shown that they can live their life while keeping two appointments per day, and be sober at those times. That's more of a positive track record than we'd have to go on if we'd suspended their license.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:16 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good points SamClem. I have lived around drunks and am a bit skeptical and have a biased opinion. I admit that.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Depends on whether the four drinks were one per hour, or all four in an hour...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
also depends on the weight of the individual
and the gender.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Curious what your findings were? Are you saying that one or two beers (12 oz., not big blokes) during dinner sometimes put you near the .08 limit? The BAC chart seems to show that your average size male would be well under the limit with just two drinks.
Yes. And I followed the instructions (not eating or drinking anything for 20 minutes before the test). It sounds like my device (first device), which I sent back once to have calibrated, might have been set very conservatively. It was very consistent in the readings, but two beers with a meal often put me near .08. That device finally failed, and I got another one, a different brand, but not a cheapy either, which was showing much higher readings than my old device with the same alcohol consumption. That one still works, but I don't use it because it's just got to be way wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
and the gender.
Male, 165 lb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
.... Although I didn't normally put it on my resume, I am a professional drunk. ...
A buddy of mine walked into the police station and asked for a BAC test (so he could 'calibrate' his device). The cops refused. He'll have to enter the profession as you did.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #48

^ this is why any good attorney can get a .09-.12 discredited in court.

Those devices are pretty twitchy.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:38 PM   #49

Quote:
Good points SamClem. I have lived around drunks and am a bit skeptical and have a biased opinion. I admit that.
I agree and yet I know half a dozen alcoholics who have been sober for between 10 and 25 years. It all depends upon motivation. The figurative "gun to the head - don't you dare drink" varies from person to person. MOST quit to save their j*bs (after losing driving privileges, spouses, children, houses, cars, etc.) Still others realize that they are slowly (or maybe more rapidly) killing themselves. I know the statistics are bad for alcoholics, but it IS possible to escape if the motivation is right. I hope the breathalyzer-twice-a-day program is effective and spreads to other states.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:40 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Drunks quit all the time. My Dad was a weekend binge drinker, always at parties, never alone and never during the week. I don't think he ever missed work, or was even late for work. He and his brother would from time to time "take the pledge". He was definitely a heavy drinker, but it didn't seem to mess up his work, or even our family life. Never any violence or loud yelling. I think going on the wagon had a religious backing. Finally in his early fifties he fell down in the snow walking home from the tavern-in the city, not on a country road. My teenage brother came home late that night and saw that Dad's coat was missing, and traced his pathway from our house to the tavern. There Dad was, out like a light but alive. Brother got a few guys from the bar to help get him home. He never again drank, and brother didn't ever drink much either. Dad lived over 30 years past this event.

I think drinking to excess is really fun, but also a very bad idea in so many ways. The last time I was drunk was in my late 20s, drove from Spokane to Airway Heights, drunk as a skunk. I have never even had a real buzz since then, and I sure have't even had a tot and got behind the wheel. My reason for quitting was I got tired of being a moron.

Ha