Join Early Retirement Today

Dryer sheets
Old 06-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dryer sheets

Perhaps this is old news but it was new to me.
snopes.com: Clean Lint Filter Extends Life of Dryer

The claim is that dryer sheets over time muck up the lint filter making drying less efficient and shortening heater life. Cleaning the filter (beyond removing the lint) can help restore normal operation.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

18 years for mine so far.

I stopped using dryer sheets a few years ago because of developing a severe reaction to laundry residue. My clothes are much softer now. It took a while to get the dryer sheet residue out. I think they use parafin in them, so no wonder.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't use dryer sheets anymore because of said reason. Depending on what I am drying, I either use a cup of vinegar or prescribed amount of Downey. Vinegar helps in hard water. I like the smell of fabric softener in sheets and towels. Sometimes I use a combination of vinegar and fabric softener. Clothes turn out soft either way.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Dryer sheets are a Shariah Jihad plot propagated by the Muslim Brotherhood to destroy the western civilizations. Because of that fact, I never use them.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Why would you put smelly greasy stuff on your clothes/laundry after going through the trouble of washing them?
Old 06-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I forwarded the Snopes link to the person in charge of such things here.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #7

I never use dryer sheets either.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Why would you put smelly greasy stuff on your clothes/laundry after going through the trouble of washing them?
Amen! I never use dryer sheets or fabric softener...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I just KNEW there was a good reason behind the fact that I do not use dryer sheets...
other than being too miserly to spring for them...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My puss says....

Old 06-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I admit I use TWO dryer sheets in the winter to keep our clothes from clinging to every surface possible including our skin (which is also so dry that the fabric gets caught and scratches it) and generating that unusable electricity and shocking us every two seconds. We could light up our block with the miniflares when we touch anything, metal or not, and it's not pleasant.

Dryers' controls break after six or seven years--not related to dryer sheets. I don't think. Maybe.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #12

I've never used dryer sheets in my new front loading washer that I purchased about a year ago. My daughter didn't like that when she was still living here. When she moved out she said "NOW I can buy dryer sheets!".
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #13

A while back I forwarded a link to an ER posting to a friend of mine. The poster had one of those "recycles dryer sheets" things under his name.

The next time I saw him, my friend went to his dryer and retrieved a dryer sheet cut in half to show me. He checks them when after use, and saves them if they seem to have some life left in them. He didn't think it was funny at all.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Funny. Probably over 6 mos. ago, I tried to run water over my lint screen like the original email in the snopes link says. The email in the link says that water may not run through the lint screen. After using our dryer for over 7 years, only pulling the lint off by hand, and never previously washing, the water ran right through. Despite using thousands of dryer sheets over the period of 7 years. Snopes might say "true", but our dryer never had the buildup to begin with that would prevent water from passing through the screen.

So, what makes me so special? The needle on my bull$hit meter is pegged. Or, Bounce doesn't build up.

Getting my wife to remove the lint buildup manually, that's another story.

-CC
Old 06-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Tried same experiment, same result. Water ran through filter fine. +1 vote for BS.

Who fact checks the fact checkers? Now try saying that fast 5 times.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I use 1/3 of a sheet for a load of clothes and it works fine. I never use fabric softener on towels.
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote