Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW has the towel issues under control. I'm just a user.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
OK, ready for this? Here's the technique I use to put the water down the drain instead of on the towels.

1. Buy some microfiber camp towels (something like these).
  2. Cut them into squares about 8 x 8 inches.
  3. After your shower dry successive parts of your body, and squeeze the towel so that the water goes down the drain (e.g. dry hair, squeeze, dry arms, squeeze, etc.).
Al,

If you squeeze the towel over a bowl, you can then use the water for outside plants.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I forgot about the camp towels--we got a couple of the medium sized ones from Campmor (and they have a handy loop for hanging). We use them on the RV and we took them to Mongolia with us as well. Very absorbent, fast drying, and you don't really need a giant towel anyway.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Source for thin towels: If you know anyone in the military, ask them to buy you some of the official issue olive drab Army towels from AFEES Clothing Sales. Thin, cheap, a little scratchy (helps to exfoliate that outer layer of dead skin leaving you pink and refreshed, and helps you abrade away those extra pounds). Best of all you, can never tell if they are dirty, so it's easy to re-use one for months even if you hang them outside in a dust storm daily to dry.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
You guys need to move down south. I spend less than 800/year on electricity - no gas - single person 2700' townhome. With global cooling the summers are cooler. I don't have a washer/dryer - use the laundromat.
Just out of curiosity, how much do you spend at the laudromat? DD uses our washer/dryer but may need to start using the laundromat if she moves. Seems like it would be a lot more expensive than paying for the electricity and water, although certainly much cheaper than buying a new washer/dryer.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

It has come to my attention that there is some interest in magic drying balls, there size, shape and other facts.

They are blue balls, about the size of tennis balls. They are covered with little teats to increase the surface area I guess. The package says

"Softens fabrics, decreases drying time, hypoallergenic, save money on fabric softener, dryer sheets and energy!"

Also says you will get even better results if you use 4 balls. It emphasizes that "they are reusable, over and over again!!"

This last part has me sold, as I am weary of single use balls.

Ha
Old 04-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Thanks very much for sharing, Ha--as one of the interested parties in the reusable blue balls, I am delighted to learn more about these devices.

Considering I am both a busy housewife and professional lady-folk, I am always appreciative of things that might make my domestic duties more pleasant.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Blue balls the size of tennis balls. Serious case. Towel drying. Some research subject.

To think in my single years my front loading Equator washer dryer was the hamper. When full of clothes towels, etc. add soap slam door shut. Hit go button. Off to w*rk When I got home from w*rk remove clean and dry stuff, put on hangers or fold.

Repeat.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

I have looked at these balls many times but I've never been convinced of their long term potential .I would think that after many loads they would not be at their peek performance and tend to make the other items not last as long and maybe even slightly limp.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Old 04-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am weary of single use balls.
Ha
Well...I....ummm....errrr....so...
Old 04-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
OK, ready for this? Here's the technique I use to put the water down the drain instead of on the towels.
  1. Buy some microfiber camp towels (something like these).
  2. Cut them into squares about 8 x 8 inches.
  3. After your shower dry successive parts of your body, and squeeze the towel so that the water goes down the drain (e.g. dry hair, squeeze, dry arms, squeeze, etc.).
  4. You can finish off with a cozy real towel, but you'll be mostly dry at this point.
I do this because we have a problem with high humidity, so I want that moisture out of the room.
Just fyi - you can get "almost" the same results by using a damp washcloth in the same way.

Kindest regards,
spncity
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

This reminds me of the Dilbert cartoon where Wally asks: "After a shower I'm the cleanest thing in the house. Why would I wash my towel after I've used it?"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone!

Koolau

I would LOVE to be where you are! At any electricity rate.

Freebird

I tried hanging things up one time and it took a long time to dry and the towels stunk like mold after they were dry.....I think it's just too damp here....it rains so much. But besides that I have a family member that would freak out if I hung things up.

Dex

I know what you mean about global cooling. We saw record 15 year lows here this winter. Last summer it only hit 90* like twice. And we are into April now and it's still 30* and snowing...we had a record snowfall for yesterday or the day before.

TromboneAl

Overall (per year) the dryer is the #1 electricity user for us. The the air conditioner then refrigerator then the stove then everything else is a mix of stuff that uses a few bucks a month or less. If you ever go out and look at an electric meter when the dryer is running it just spins and spins. Per hour it uses maybe 7 times the next closest electricity user.

Rustyshakleford

I have a front loader and it saves so much water over the old top loader and is much more quiet. I leave the door open also.

Jim
summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote