Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I have the exact repair to make in my garage ceiling. The ceiling is 10' high and not so easy to deal with.

If there is a smooth finish, it is an easy repair. If textured, it sometimes takes a pro.
I did a few drywall repairs recently when I repainted my family room. The walls and ceiling have a knockdown texture so not really sure how it compares to the OP's 'light texture' but I found the texturing actually helps to hide the repair work. I used Homax brand spray wall texture that can be found in most home centers. It worked good for me but does take some practice beforehand to get the hang of it, I used old cardboard boxes to practice on. After painting I couldn't tell where the repair work was done.

The difficulty I had with the textured walls and ceiling was painting it afterwards, in my case the ceilings and walls are painted a different color. Very difficult to get a straight line cut in between the walls and ceiling, painters tape by itself just doesn't work in this case.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2018, 09:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I am looking to get an idea as to what is a fair price to pay to repair a hole in my ceiling. I had a plumbing leak upstairs and it was necesary to cut a hole into the downstairs ceiling to ge to the leak and repair it.

I now have a section of ceiling about 3x4 feet that needs replacing. It will need a new piece of drywall, taping, mud work and some light texturing. I will paint it myself.

I realize prices vary quite a bit depending on where one lives and the cost of doing business in that area, but I would like to get some idea of what such a repair will cost.
It should not cost more than $150-$200 dollars. The material cost would be about $12. If I were you I would buy the the drywall piece and install it yourself with drywall screws. If you are not comfortable doing your own taping, plastering, and texture coating, hire someone to do that part. They would probably charge about $75-$100. What every you do, don't call a general contractor. Most painters can do the work.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #23

It it were I, I would scour the YouTube videos, and see if there aren't a few "how to" videos on doing such a repair.
You might not want to do it yourself after watching a few, but you might. I have found, on a few occasions, that doing smallish repairs, after learning a bit on YouTube about how to do it, was less work than trying to find someone to do a reasonable job.

Good luck!
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I have found, on a few occasions, that doing smallish repairs, after learning a bit on YouTube about how to do it, was less work than trying to find someone to do a reasonable job.
I would agree, just take your time and you'll likely learn a useful skill in the process, and get a lot of satisfaction when it's finished. The worst that could happen doing it yourself is that it ends up looking like s*** and you're back where you started looking to hire someone to do it.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I have the exact repair to make in my garage ceiling. The ceiling is 10' high and not so easy to deal with.

If there is a smooth finish, it is an easy repair. If textured, it sometimes takes a pro.
A popcorn ceiling is very easy... The ceiling part makes it difficult.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1129171608a.jpg (441.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 1519217239025.jpg (255.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 1519217533617.jpg (362.3 KB, 27 views)
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:16 AM   #26

I am having a piece of drywall replaced 8'x 16" replaced because of a dumba$$ tenant, who has rented from me for 17 years. I would normally do it myself, but my blood boils over her stupidity of ignoring her self created water leak. The repair includes cutting out and replacing the bad piece, scrapping surrounding loose material, and repainting using my paint, quoted at $285, making 3 visits.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:19 AM   #27

A good drywall guy would use 5 minute setting (hot) mud and get the job done in an hour finish and all. But you’d still probably pay $100 to get it fixed, not worth it otherwise. Very hard to not get cracks if you have a hole cut out due to having to fill the gap with a drying mud that will shrink and crack.
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
A popcorn ceiling is very easy... The ceiling part makes it difficult.

Nice work senator
Old 02-21-2018, 06:40 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Unfortunately, some dust is unavoidable.
For a small job like this, I would not use a sander. You can get the same (if not better) results by taking a bucket of clean water, soaking a dishrag/dishtowel in the water and repeatedly running them over the seam of the sheetrock paste (after the paste dries). Sometimes takes a minute or two to re-activate the paste..... I have been finishing walls/ceilings to a "glass smooth" finish with this method for years.
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:21 AM   #30

I did the exact same repair several years ago, and for same reason. It's OK, but I've never been totally happy with the result. You can see a faint line along the edges if the light hits it a certain way. And the texture is close but noticeably different. The texture in that room is "crow's foot," which cannot be sprayed on. I bought the proper texture brush and practiced on some scrap drywall. But the finished result was just... blah. I think I may have overdone it, i.e. tried to make too many crow's feet in a small area.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably hire a painter or handyman who has more experience than I do. We had a painter replace a 15 X 10 foot section of ceiling in our master bedroom after a leak. He charged $900 and that included re-texturing the entire ceiling and painting. He did a reasonably nice job. After he was done, I had to do some touch-up painting where the ceiling meets the wall. Wall and ceiling are different colors and I wasn't happy with the line.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

My lifelong hobby has been remodeling. I've done everything from replace water heaters to install pocket doors, and of course, lots and lots of drywall. I frequently do stuff like this with my friends for the low-low price of materials, conversation and beers. I help and guide them as they do the actual work.

Do you have a knowledgeable friend and can tackle this together? You might have a great time, learn a ton, and be able to do drywall yourself from now on. What an opportunity!
Old 02-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
The difficulty I had with the textured walls and ceiling was painting it afterwards, in my case the ceilings and walls are painted a different color. Very difficult to get a straight line cut in between the walls and ceiling, painters tape by itself just doesn't work in this case.
Saw a tip on Youtube once for that (never had to do it myself).

Take a flathead screwdriver and run the edge along the joint where the wall sheet meets the ceiling sheet. Essentially creating a shallow groove. Then when you paint there is a clearly delineated line between the wall and the ceiling. It makes a clean transition point that pleases the eye.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post

Take a flathead screwdriver and run the edge along the joint where the wall sheet meets the ceiling sheet. Essentially creating a shallow groove. Then when you paint there is a clearly delineated line between the wall and the ceiling. It makes a clean transition point that pleases the eye.
WOW! Thanks for that tip. I have the exact same problem. I try to fill in the little hills and valleys with a very fine tipped art style painters brush and it helps, but getting a straight line is not possible. I will try that the next time I paint a room.

The problem with doing the drywall repair myself is that it is the ceiling and I have doubts as to how well I can do that myself. I have done small repairs in walls and that is not a big issue. I often do small repairs myself. But doing it from a ladder looking up in a small cramped bathroom, while trying to attach a chunk of drywall that will probably be 3x5 feet once I cut out the messy junk, well.... not so sure it is worth the effort.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
WOW! Thanks for that tip. I have the exact same problem. I try to fill in the little hills and valleys with a very fine tipped art style painters brush and it helps, but getting a straight line is not possible. I will try that the next time I paint a room.

The problem with doing the drywall repair myself is that it is the ceiling and I have doubts as to how well I can do that myself. I have done small repairs in walls and that is not a big issue. I often do small repairs myself. But doing it from a ladder looking up in a small cramped bathroom, while trying to attach a chunk of drywall that will probably be 3x5 feet once I cut out the messy junk, well.... not so sure it is worth the effort.
Get a friend to help hold up the drywall.

If no friend, build simple "T" frame as your extra hands. Or should I say "H" frame using 2x4s.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:32 PM   #35

You could also screw a 2x4 to the wall to make a shelf to rest one end of the drywall on and then use a 2x4 to hold the other end up with, or just screw it in.
As you move away from the wall, screw the 2x4 in the next sheet right before the Joint to form the shelf. Works well on a lower ceiling, but anything over 8’ will be trickier.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #36

Quote:

Quote:
One thing I learned in painting over the years is that after you paint the ceiling (with some overlap onto the wall), it looks better to just take your brush and cut in along the ceiling. What I found out is that it looks bad if you don't go all the way to the ceiling because (obviously), you see the ceiling color on the wall (usually white and very noticeable). The "trick" is that you go up to the ceiling with your brush - cutting in the best you can. The reward is that if you get a little (very little, we're not being sloppy here), it is very difficult to see the wall color on the ceiling. You'd basically have to stand under the area being very close to the wall and look up. Otherwise, with natural shading and just the angle, you're not going to see the wall color on the ceiling. Long smooth strokes with the cut in bristles just touching the ceiling and you'll be looking good.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:02 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cutting paint in corners and applying mud are both skills that require some time to learn. I can do both competently now after lots of practice, but when I first started it looked horrible.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #38

Quote:

After some trial and error this is the tip I ended up using, may seem like extra work but the results were excellent. Place a nice bead of caulking between the wall and ceiling joint. This fills in any ridges from the texture and gives you a nice smooth joint to work with. Paint the ceiling and paint over the caulking completely going down the wall 1-2". Tape the joint along the caulking to get ready to paint the walls then paint the tape edge on the wall side with the same color used to paint the ceiling. This helps to seal the tape edge on the wall side and ensures none of the wall paint gets underneath the tape. Paint the walls. Ended up with a perfect straight line after pulling the tape, just don't let the paint completely dry.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:22 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

I’m pretty good at DIY but drywall is the one skill I’m not allowed to do in my own house. I think a good drywall person will be able to do this in one trip for around $100 if you are taking care of the painting.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote