Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to posters who contributed to this thread. Lots of very nice photos.

Lack of artistic skills aside, I will need better equipment than my simple pocket point-and-shoot camera to take photos as crisp as the ones I see here. However, I will continue to take snapshots. These serve as reminders of things I have seen, places that I have been. In my later years, when I lose my mobility, I will look at these fondly.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

A few pictures taken along trails and in local parks (I am not a bird photographer and have actually little interest in birds):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5882.jpg (651.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4028.jpg (402.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9225.jpg (435.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4627.jpg (568.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7416.jpg (1,021.8 KB, 9 views)

Old 05-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I will need better equipment than my simple pocket point-and-shoot camera to take photos as crisp as the ones I see here.
Though I have succumbed to the bird photography disease and have humped heavy lenses around on various vacations I must admit that my wife, shooting with a compact super zoom digicam gets shots as nice or nicer than mine. It's the eye and the passion to see new things not the equipment that makes the shot.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
A few pictures taken along trails and in local parks (I am not a bird photographer and have actually little interest in birds):
Maybe that's true, but them is some good pitchers.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #45

I don't have too many duck pictures.
How about a Sharp-shinned Hawk?

This image was captured with moderately priced hand held Canon PowerShot S3 IS that I think is about ten years old.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:36 PM   #46

A few more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bird2.jpg (996.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg cardinal.jpg (383.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #47

Old 05-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #48

Flying non-ducks

Well shoot, if you folks are gonna start posting those pretty non-duck photos I'll throw in some of mine too. Always liked to get birds in flight when possible:

Black Shouldered Kite (with a tasty vole snack) near my house in SoCal

Black Kite Kakadu Australia

Violet Green Swallow at Mono Lake

Sandhill Cranes in New Mexico

Old 05-04-2015, 08:01 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Well shoot, if you folks are gonna start posting your non-duck photos I'll throw in some of mine too. Always liked to get birds in flight when possible:...
The thread is about "Duck and Birds Photos", although I started this thread as a dedication to my friend redduck.

Catching birds in flight? When possible? Never with me! Perhaps that's why I like to shoot duck. They don't swim too fast.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:21 AM   #50

Those flying pictures are fantastic.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
Those flying pictures are fantastic.
+1. Quite fantastic. Nicely done.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The thread is about "Duck and Birds Photos", although I started this thread as a dedication to my friend redduck.

Catching birds in flight? When possible? Never with me! Perhaps that's why I like to shoot duck. They don't swim too fast.
Thanks for the explanation. I wondered why it was ducks and birds as ducks are birds.

I'd thought it might be for redduck, or that ducks are the best tasting birds.

Actually I find ducks interesting, had some as pets as a kid, very social birds.

🐑
Old 05-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #53

Among a certain population, this is known as a Red Duck.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:19 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Redduck is not a motorcycle rider, unless I am very mistaken. And as far as I know - and I do not know much, particularly about posters here - redduck has not volunteered how he chose his screen name.

In the OP, I did suggest that perhaps his was an infatuation with the ferruginous duck (see below linked photo from Wikipedia), but he never confirmed nor denied it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I wondered why it was ducks and birds as ducks are birds.

I'd thought it might be for redduck, or that ducks are the best tasting birds.

Actually I find ducks interesting, had some as pets as a kid, very social birds.

��
Ducks are birds, yes, but more special. And tastier too.

We just had some roast duck when stopping in Calistoga recently, but I still harbor some craving for a bowl of Chinese roast duck noodle soup. I have been deprived of that for a few years now.

PS. My "superior" memory is failing! I had Chinese roast duck noodle soup in Montreal Chinatown last year. But, but, but it was not the same style as I had several times earlier. Then, I searched the Web and found out that what I had in Montreal was Cantonese style, while what I prefer would be HongKong style. Hence, my craving was not satisfied, and I still feel empty.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #55
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Raptor Identification

Had this problem/wondrous event. I have a couple bird feeders which mostly attracts finches & doves and occasional other birds. Well DW & I are watching one day and a finch, I think, maybe a dove, just left the feeder and boom, in mid air some raptor nails it and all we see is an explosion of feathers. I grabbed the iPhone and this was the best shot could get. I think its a Cooper's hawk DW thinks its a Peregrine , not a great view or pic. I felt terrible, I planned to be a bird feeder not a raptor feeder, DW went on about 'the circle of life'. Can anyone tell what the bird is from this pic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2702.jpg (450.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 05-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Had this problem/wondrous event. I have a couple bird feeders which mostly attracts finches & doves and occasional other birds. Well DW & I are watching one day and a finch, I think, maybe a dove, just left the feeder and boom, in mid air some raptor nails it and all we see is an explosion of feathers. I grabbed the iPhone and this was the best shot could get. I think its a Cooper's hawk DW thinks its a Peregrine , not a great view or pic. I felt terrible, I planned to be a bird feeder not a raptor feeder, DW went on about 'the circle of life'. Can anyone tell what the bird is from this pic?
I'm not a great birder, but that looks more like a Peregrine to me (from the "face mask" and the thick body). I think we all have those inadvertent "circle of life" moments. We have a number of backyard plants that Rufous and Annas Hummingbirds like to visit. DW and I love to just sit and watch them. Then one day our cat found out...
Old 05-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of hummingbirds and also the circle of life reminded me of this photo that I posted before, that of a more natural ending for a hummingbird. I found it hanging upside down on a vine when I was staining my house siding.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Looks like a Coopers Hawk to me.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #59

Quote:
Speaking of hummingbirds and also the circle of life reminded me of this photo that I posted before, that of a more natural ending for a hummingbird. I found it hanging upside down on a vine when I was staining my house siding.

No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'!
Old 07-26-2015, 12:50 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I just recalled this shot of Canada geese on Deschutes River that ran through the downtown of Bend, OR, taken in the recent RV trip.

Tags
bird, duck, photo