Join Early Retirement Today

Duct Cleaning
Old 06-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Duct Cleaning

Furnace and A/C ducting.
While in the process of having my A/C serviced, I asked the Service guy, about having my ducts cleaned professionally. He kinda smiled and said, "Better think that over long and hard."
We got sidetracked with another issue and I never got back to him for an explanation.

Anyone had any experience with this type of service? I'm guessing, it costs about $150-200, to do this. Is it worth the expense, or is it just a rip off?

I'd appreciate the straight skinny, from the "Pros." Thanks!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Hey, thefed! This one's for you...

(Sundance, he's got a duct cleaning business... )

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had it done in the house we moved into. Former owners had rigged a wood burner to the ductwork, and it was way funky. I think it was a couple hundred bucks.

thefed was very helpful with info regarding duct cleaning, too. Thanks again fed!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is about dryer ducts -- sorry for the hijack.

While visiting a friend in the Bay Area, he mentioned that the dryer took a long time to dry. Looked down under the lint screen area with a flashlight, and sure enough there was lots and lots of built-up lint. I was able to get some out, but not much because he didn't have any tubes or hose sections in the house (for taping onto the vacuum cleaner).

I reached into the dryer duct from the outside, and found a rat's nest (literally!). I told him that unless he routinely has a lot of sticks and twigs in his clothing, that there was a rat living in his duct. I couldn't get it all out because of the geometry of the duct, and suggested he change the shield on the outside so that he can get the duct cleaned and keep the animals out.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Al...two words: leaf blower.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
One word:
Old 06-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

One word:

Naptha.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I dunno...sparks from the blower might set it off and...ohhhh...I see where you're going with this...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Duct Cleaning
Old 06-12-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Duct Cleaning

CFB:
Thanks for your response!! I couldn't reply to your message, as I'm still trying to figure out how, to use this board.

I appreciate your time!!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:29 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance Kid View Post
CFB:
Thanks for your response!! I couldn't reply to your message, as I'm still trying to figure out how, to use this board.

I appreciate your time!!
CFB defnitely knows where the "post" button is...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:50 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

You did just fine...I got it.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

GREAT! I'll sleep well.
Now, If I can just GET LUCKY!!
Old 06-12-2007, 10:49 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Back to the topic...

A few years ago, we bought a 30-y3ear-old house that was sound but needed work. Previous owners had dogs. My wife and daughter are allergic to dog and cat hair, so we had the ducts vacuumed. Man, were those ducts dirty. Some of the ducts had separated at joints under the house and the cleaners fixed them for us. We were glad we had it done.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance Kid View Post
Furnace and A/C ducting.
While in the process of having my A/C serviced, I asked the Service guy, about having my ducts cleaned professionally. He kinda smiled and said, "Better think that over long and hard."
We got sidetracked with another issue and I never got back to him for an explanation.

Anyone had any experience with this type of service? I'm guessing, it costs about $150-200, to do this. Is it worth the expense, or is it just a rip off?

I'd appreciate the straight skinny, from the "Pros." Thanks!!!

Im not sure why the service guy would say that....maybe he's been associated with and/or seen a shady company or two...or perhaps he's uneducated. OR, perhaps he wants your furnace to contiunally take on dirt and debris, so he can keep makign service/cleaning calls!

Feel free to check out ym website, ayden.biz

also google the NADCA for some good info. Dont put any merit into their pre-screened members...it costs 500 bucks and you're in....no qualifications whatsoever. My website will help guide you to a trustworthy company.

If you want, post the answers to the following questions,and I'll tell you the going rate in my area. If you only expect to pay 150 bucks, dont even do it. A quality cleanign with the RIGHT equipment will cost more,unless you live in a single wide trailer...lol

How many square ft is the home? 2-story, or a ranch? Basement? Age of home. Where's the furnace located?

Dont get it done by a company who cleans carpets...they use inferior equipment (they acutally convert their carpet cleaners to duct cleaning equipment!) DONT go for the 79 dollar special...you WILL be disappointed when 2 guys come to the house and try to upsell you to a 500 dollar service, and their techniques are less than credible

Feel free to ask any ?'s after you check out our site
Old 06-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

thefed:

Many thanks, for your reply!!