Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

"Dude, is that a fin?" redux
Old 06-07-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

"Dude, is that a fin?" redux

Yesterday a hammerhead came ashore at Kailua Beach.

Rumor has it that the shark was caught in a net just offshore early in the morning and was in the process of giving birth.* The fisherman assisted in the birth of 3 shark pups, released them into the bay, and then dragged the mother shark to shore to cut the net away.* Unfortunately the shark died.*

I think we all remember what happened next in thatdramatic tour-de-force masterpiece "Orca".* I'm talking about the shark's performance, not Bo Derek's.

Hammerheads don't usually hang out in sandy shallow waters, but they do give birth in bays & estuaries where the young can hide & grow.* Kailua Beach is an immensly popular Windward beach for windsurfing & kitesurfing due to its tradewind breezes, but I think I'll be sticking to the south shore...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kailua Beach hammerhead 64K.jpg (61.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Kailua Beach hammerhead underside 64K.jpg (63.1 KB, 112 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Kailua Beach hammerhead 64K.jpg_thumb (23.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg_thumb Kailua Beach hammerhead underside 64K.jpg_thumb (27.2 KB, 0 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: "Dude, is that a fin?" redux
Old 06-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nords,

I heard a while back that sharks were pretty fished out around Hawaii. People had been going after them so vigorously that they ain't there no' mo'. Heard that there was a movement to stop shark fishing for a while there.

True?

Not true?

Thanks.

Ed
Old 06-08-2006, 05:03 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Late last summer 3 surfer dudes quickly got out of the water. They suggested I do the same because they had spotted a shark. I asked if they were going to alert the surfers downbeach..."Nah".
Old 06-08-2006, 05:54 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
Late last summer 3 surfer dudes quickly got out of the water. They suggested I do the same because they had spotted a shark.* I asked if they were going to alert the surfers downbeach..."Nah".
Locals Only!
Old 06-08-2006, 06:14 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Nords,

I heard a while back that sharks were pretty fished out around Hawaii.* People had been going after them so vigorously that they ain't there no' mo'.* Heard that there was a movement to stop shark fishing for a while there.

True?

Not true?

Thanks.

Ed
Sharks as a whole hae been massively overfished for many years. It is extremely stupid. Shark fishing should be greatly reduced, IMO.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
I heard a while back that sharks were pretty fished out around Hawaii.* People had been going after them so vigorously that they ain't there no' mo'.* Heard that there was a movement to stop shark fishing for a while there.
Swordfish & honu have spent more time in the news than sharks, although we get a sharkbite or two every year. The honu & monk seals have come roaring back from the brink of 1970s extinction so now the sharks spend more time around the beaches.

I don't think anyone's legally fishing Hawaii for sharks but a lot of critters get trapped during netting. Everyone gripes about it but the fish markets are still full of customers. There's a strong cultural demand around here for shark-fin soup (and no doubt other parts as well) so I'm sure there's a brisk black market.

The photos actually came from Mike Stott, a realtor. I haven't seen anything in the local papers yet although people always suspect the Hawaii Visitors & Conventions Bureau of suppressing this sort of news.

White Plains Beach has a flat, sandy bottom. Even a couple hundred yards out the water's only about six feet deep. Sharks hate that environment-- apparently it messes with their senses or their gills-- so White Plains hasn't had a shark sighting since the '40s. But when the local monk seal buzzes through the lineup heading for the beach it sure raises the pucker factor!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:49 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
(and no doubt other parts as well)
Actually, demand for shark fin soup results in a lot of sharks being caught, having fins hacked off and then being dumped back into the water.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:39 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the reminder Nords!

Last week some teenagers were freediving off Lanai and encountered a reef shark moving around erratically. One of the boys poked at the shark which promptly turned around a bit him in the knee.

Killing sharks is a no-no among the Hawaiians. They possess 'the mana'. A few years ago a friend who's a lifeguard dragged a large dead tiger shark onto the beach. Some locals got very upset and he wasn't sure what to do. They ended up towing the shark offshore and having a blessing.

Last week a cow fell off a cliff near Hookipa Beach and was eaten by sharks. I biked down there and watched the rescue workers being lowered into the water so they could search for the carcass. There weren't many surfers out that day.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote