Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-15-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 140
Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

They should all be ashamed. In the beginning, all involved with this case the DA, Duke University, the Durham officials, many of the nationís black leadership and even the local CBS station WRAL were part of a witch hunt to convict these 3 lacrosse students. it was never about the evidence. They should all be ashamed!!----- and accountable. District Atty, Nifong has other problems as well. The state bar has filed ethics charges against him for disparaging the defendants in public. And his legal tactics are also under scrutiny. Next month the judge in the case will decide whether the police lineup the accuser used to identify the defendants is admissible in court; Nifong had suggested that officers include only members of the lacrosse team and no "fillers," as is common practice. Too many lives have been destroyed. Why What is the underlying reason for this behavior?? Political ambition --- surely Nifong didnít believe he would get away with concealing evidence, etc.
__________________

__________________
janeeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

Jusat a message to anyone who wasn't already clued in -not must "justice" in our criminal justice system.

ha
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

You can have all the justice you can afford.

Usually the DA can afford more than the average defendant.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-15-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,798
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

Anyone who's gone to court knows it's more show than fact. The one who puts on the more believable show is the victor.
__________________
You don't want to work. You want to live like a king, but the big bad world don't owe you a thing. Get over it--The Eagles
lets-retire is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-15-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeeyre
They should all be ashamed. In the beginning, all involved with this case the DA, Duke University, the Durham officials, many of the nationís black leadership and even the local CBS station WRAL were part of a witch hunt to convict these 3 lacrosse students. it was never about the evidence. They should all be ashamed!!----- and accountable. District Atty, Nifong has other problems as well. The state bar has filed ethics charges against him for disparaging the defendants in public. And his legal tactics are also under scrutiny. Next month the judge in the case will decide whether the police lineup the accuser used to identify the defendants is admissible in court; Nifong had suggested that officers include only members of the lacrosse team and no "fillers," as is common practice. Too many lives have been destroyed. Why What is the underlying reason for this behavior?? Political ambition --- surely Nifong didnít believe he would get away with concealing evidence, etc.
The only thing that surprises me is that you're suprised. It has been estimated that over 10% of death row inmates are innocent. Now that is injustice!

__________________
  Reply With Quote
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-15-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 260
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

Whatever our feelings on this matter, is this the correct forum for this thread? I thought politics and such were supposed to be discussed in "Other Topics."

__________________
peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-15-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggy
Whatever our feelings on this matter, is this the correct forum for this thread? I thought politics and such were supposed to be discussed in "Other Topics."

I moved it!
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-15-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 714
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

Where was it ... Life After FIRE? From Nifong's perspective, that might be the correct forum ...


I agree, the guy looks like a real loser. Perhaps if the Bar hangs him out to dry it will discourage a few more unethical prosecutors from such behavior.
__________________
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 696
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

Nifong makes me sick. He should be disbarred and hopefully/probably will be. He intentionally used this case to get re-elected. He withheld exculpatory evidence from the defense. He never even met with the defendants! He is a pathetic, race baiting, loser. I really hope they prosectute him for prosecutorial misconduct and make the rest of his life a living hell. He deserves nothing less. did I metion this guy makes me sick?
__________________
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.--Drew Carey
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-15-2007, 11:31 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,253
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Nifong makes me sick. He should be disbarred and hopefully/probably will be. He intentionally used this case to get re-elected. He withheld exculpatory evidence from the defense. He never even met with the defendants! He is a pathetic, race baiting, loser. I really hope they prosectute him for prosecutorial misconduct and make the rest of his life a living hell. He deserves nothing less. did I metion this guy makes me sick?
Alex... don't hold back... tell us how you REALLY feel....

Yes, I wish the families could sue him for his misconduct... but I bet that he is exempt from a lawsuit... OR that it would be the city that would have to pay....

But as the OP had put down... it was ALL of the parties that hung them out to dry... but most came to their senses after awhile.. but still to late for the three guys... their lives are ruined, sorry to say...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-16-2007, 06:42 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,798
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

With the short attention span of most American's, I'll bet after three or four years and most people won't even remember who the defendants were.
__________________
You don't want to work. You want to live like a king, but the big bad world don't owe you a thing. Get over it--The Eagles
lets-retire is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-16-2007, 07:05 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,253
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
With the short attention span of most American's, I'll bet after three or four years and most people won't even remember who the defendants were.
As one of the father's pointed out in this new day and age... most employers are starting to Google the people they hire... Google one of these kids names and what are you going to get This will follow them the rest of their lives in todays electronic world... yes, if it had been one of us way back when.... I agree.
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-16-2007, 07:18 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
teejayevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,219
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
Alex... don't hold back... tell us how you REALLY feel....

Yes, I wish the families could sue him for his misconduct... but I bet that he is exempt from a lawsuit... OR that it would be the city that would have to pay....
He is protected from lawsuits, BUT according to 1 expert I saw on TV, he loses that
protection if he has broken the law. I'm sure he'll say the various mistakes were
simply oversights.

The question is will his fellow lawyers pursue him to the full extent of the law.

The most interesting comment made in the CBS interview of the parents:
"Every time someone googles my son's name, for the rest of his life, the
results will be about this rape case."

__________________
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-16-2007, 08:25 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Eagle43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,879
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

Nifong's punishment? He should be forced to strip in Cell Block D.
__________________
Resist much. Obey Little. . . . Ed Abbey

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,005
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

Is anyone going to blame the victim here?

I think she's done a frame job on the three lacrosse players.

She had a public relations firm a few days after the alleged incident. Her story doesn't add up at all. The story has changed significantly. A dozen times!

I can't figure out what exactly she had planned, but here's my tin-foil hat theory:

She had a couple of dudes gang rape her, so she would have physical trauma consistent with rape. She finds a PR firm. Then she lines up the stripping job at the house of the lacrosse players. What was her motive? To sue the boys for all they are worth (duke students come from rich families who might be willing to pay hush money)? To get a book or movie deal out of this? Who knows.

I've been a skeptic from day 1 (maybe day 2?). Since this case is local to me, I've been following it off and on and it doesn't smell right. I don't think Nifong is involved in any scandal. Just the stripper girl "victim".
__________________
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-16-2007, 09:48 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Is anyone going to blame the victim here?

I think she's done a frame job on the three lacrosse players.

She had a public relations firm a few days after the alleged incident. Her story doesn't add up at all. The story has changed significantly. A dozen times!

I can't figure out what exactly she had planned, but here's my tin-foil hat theory:

She had a couple of dudes gang rape her, so she would have physical trauma consistent with rape. She finds a PR firm. Then she lines up the stripping job at the house of the lacrosse players. What was her motive? To sue the boys for all they are worth (duke students come from rich families who might be willing to pay hush money)? To get a book or movie deal out of this? Who knows.

I've been a skeptic from day 1 (maybe day 2?). Since this case is local to me, I've been following it off and on and it doesn't smell right. I don't think Nifong is involved in any scandal. Just the stripper girl "victim".
Nifong, would fit in well up in corrupt new jersey.

He should be disbarred.

From what I have read he IS responsible for moving forward WITHOUT information that he was too stupid to seek out!

He sure makes my new state look well as bad as all the northeastern places we have come from.
__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-16-2007, 11:01 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I don't think Nifong is involved in any scandal. Just the stripper girl "victim".
For thinking these things Justin you will be remanded to 1 year of consciousness raising.

But -perish the thought-even if you are right about the woman, I believe that you are wrong about Nifong. The woman isn't a public servant; Nifong is. His job isn't to prosecute in the nastiest, dirtiest way possible the juiciest suspects he can find, but rather to decide whether a crime has been committed, what crime it is, and who did it.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-16-2007, 11:22 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,005
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
But -perish the thought-even if you are right about the woman, I believe that you are wrong about Nifong. The woman isn't a public servant; Nifong is. His job isn't to prosecute in the nastiest, dirtiest way possible the juiciest suspects he can find, but rather to decide whether a crime has been committed, what crime it is, and who did it.
I meant to say "I don't believe Nifong was involved with the conspiracy/frame job I think the stripper girl "victim" was plotting".

It is starting to look like Nifong has his own scandal. Wouldn't be the first public official in Durham to be involved in a scandal. In fact, I can't remember the last time that Durham didn't have a public official or a candidate for public office involved in some sort of scandal...

I'm hoping the lacrosse players sue the stripper girl "victim" for slander and defamation of character, etc. so they can get a piece of the pie when the "victim" sells her story in a book deal or a made for tv movie deal. If she "writes" a book, I'm sure it will make Oprah's book club. Plus I bet Jesse Jackson will pimp it as well (or has he backed down in his support of the "victim"?). Her ghost writer will put some catch phrases about "race relations in the 21st century" in there.
__________________
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Plus I bet Jesse Jackson will pimp it as well (or has he backed down in his support of the "victim"?). Her ghost writer will put some catch phrases about "race relations in the 21st century" in there.
Remember Tawana Brawley?
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???
Old 01-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 403
Re: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Is anyone going to blame the victim here?

I think she's done a frame job on the three lacrosse players.

She had a public relations firm a few days after the alleged incident. Her story doesn't add up at all. The story has changed significantly. A dozen times!

I can't figure out what exactly she had planned, but here's my tin-foil hat theory:

She had a couple of dudes gang rape her, so she would have physical trauma consistent with rape. She finds a PR firm. Then she lines up the stripping job at the house of the lacrosse players. What was her motive? To sue the boys for all they are worth (duke students come from rich families who might be willing to pay hush money)? To get a book or movie deal out of this? Who knows.

I've been a skeptic from day 1 (maybe day 2?). Since this case is local to me, I've been following it off and on and it doesn't smell right. I don't think Nifong is involved in any scandal. Just the stripper girl "victim".
I think if she planned to frame them ahead of time, she would have tried to have sex with one or more of them (who knows, maybe she did). If the hospital had been able to find any player's DNA on her, then I think they'd be screwed, even if it was consentual.
__________________

__________________
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dated rape lazygood4nothinbum Other topics 25 04-11-2007 02:14 AM
MOVED: Duke Lacrosse rape scandal-- is it??? Cut-Throat Life after FIRE 0 01-15-2007 06:06 PM
Click here if you like a good trumped-up sex scandal mickeyd Other topics 12 12-24-2006 11:55 AM
TPA kickback scandal mickeyd FIRE and Money 3 10-30-2006 08:44 PM
Wow - the Duke "Rape" Prosecutor is Even More Clueless than We Realized Craig Other topics 17 10-29-2006 07:28 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:16 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.