Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2012, 05:59 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

They cycle on/off with the thermostat.
Yeah ... but an older unit might run all the time just trying to keep up (bad seals, low freon ...)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Yeah ... but an older unit might run all the time just trying to keep up (bad seals, low freon ...)
Yes, but T-Al said hey were designed to run all the time, as if it was normal for them to do so. That's what I don't get.

-ERD50

Old 05-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes, but T-Al said hey were designed to run all the time, as if it was normal for them to do so. That's what I don't get.
-ERD50
The "new, improved" energy-efficient ones sometimes do. Mine has a computer motherboard in it, variable speed fans and four thermostats in the interior. The fans run all the time but at varying speeds. When we restock after a grocery run I can hear them spooling up.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The "new, improved" energy-efficient ones sometimes do. Mine has a computer motherboard in it, variable speed fans and four thermostats in the interior. The fans run all the time but at varying speeds. When we restock after a grocery run I can hear them spooling up.
Not to mention the fridge has to keep that light burning all the time
Old 05-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I could see where the new ones might be able to run in a variable mode, and that could be more efficient than on/off cycling.

But T-Al said he replaced this fridge. Do you realize how old a fridge would need to be for T-Al to replace it?

-ERD50
Old 05-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50

But T-Al said he replaced this fridge. Do you realize how old a fridge would need to be for T-Al to replace it?

-ERD50
To be fair, putting a new 50 pound block of ice in the top of the old fridge every week isn't as easy to do in ones 50s as when they were younger. T-Al deserves a little luxury...

;-)
Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
To be fair, putting a new 50 pound block of ice in the top of the old fridge every week isn't as easy to do in ones 50s as when they were younger. T-Al deserves a little luxury...

;-)
New?

Who said anything about new?

T-Al was buying used, and re-freezing!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
This is what I found in the fridge I replaced:

Looking around, I see that running all the time is indeed not normal. But I clearly remember reading something (1995) that said they were designed so that they ran most of the time.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:49 AM   #29

I once went to a drive-through, paid money at the first window, passed the second window (that's where you are supposed to pick up your order) and drove about 3 blocks and realized I forgot to pick up my order, and drove back...(I am not blonde. Hopefully not senile either. I did this when I was still in my forties.)
Old 06-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I notice something similar more often in supermarkets these days. I always check the unit price, and the other day I was looking at two boxes of cereal. One was nearly twice the size of the other, but the cost per ounce of the small box was practically half the cost of the large box. Exactly the opposite of what you'd expect, and I wonder how many people contributed to the store's bottom line by not checking.
This is very true. This made me think of all of the people who have been brainwashed to think that bigger is cheaper and also belong to warehouse clubs. I read years ago that in many cases one of the reasons the larger items cost more is because smaller quantities of the larger items are produced when compared to the smaller sizes.

There may be some good reasons to join a warehouse club, but I think that it is foolish to have to pay aprox $50.00 per year to shop at a WC!!?? Just about anything you may wish to buy at a warehouse club is on sale/promotion somewhere else for about the same price.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

We keep a pretty close eye on club store vs. grocery store sale items. For us, the club's still winning. Over the last few years, we've gone from buying 25% of grocery items at the club and 75% at the grocery store, to the inverse. The club offers coupons on items we actually buy; and (sorry to say), the club items have been hit by the shrink ray, much as grocery items have, so there is never any concern about finishing something before it spoils. Also, I get a break (through work) on the club dues ($40 for 15 months). We get that $40 back in less than 2 months.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrad View Post
I think that it is foolish to have to pay aprox $50.00 per year to shop at a WC!!?? Just about anything you may wish to buy at a warehouse club is on sale/promotion somewhere else for about the same price.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Duh moment heard on last night's news...They caught her when she used her loyalty card at the local grocery store to get the sale prices then paid for her purchases with a stolen credit card .
Old 06-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
Duh moment heard on last night's news...They caught her when she used her loyalty card at the local grocery store to get the sale prices then paid for her purchases with a stolen credit card .
Hopefully she's the one who stole Alan's card info.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I once replaced a fridge partly because I noticed that it was running all the time. I since learned that they are designed to do that.
I replaced a stove once then found out the wiring in the wall outlet was shorted. We kept the new stove anyway (it was cleaner ). Unfortunately that was not my dumbest mistake. I won't go into my penny stock adventure during the high tech boom.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrad View Post
There may be some good reasons to join a warehouse club, but I think that it is foolish to have to pay aprox $50.00 per year to shop at a WC!!?? Just about anything you may wish to buy at a warehouse club is on sale/promotion somewhere else for about the same price.
I completely disagree.

For $52/year we buy gas at the island's largest retailer, which frequently beats even the prices at the military bases.

Then we can shop for niche products in bulk (soy milk, frozen dinners, fudgesicles, oatmeal, Cheerios, protein bars, vitamins) that are cheaper per ounce than military commissaries... and 30% cheaper than grocery stores. And let's not forget the cheap reading glasses & contact lenses, to say nothing of the store's generous return policy on electronics. Plus I can pay for all those purchases with my 2% rewards American Express credit card.

We make the payback on that annual membership within a few months of renewing it.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #36

Come to think of it, I have never seen anyone actually buy any of the scandal sheets conveniently located at the checkout lines in supermarkets. Plenty of people thumb through them. How do they make money?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #37

Quote:

There may be some good reasons to join a warehouse club,
Like a gallon of milk for $1.87. Just went up to $2.19 .... but that will make me shop there (we need 2 gallons/week).

My guess is they lose money selling milk but know it'll get you in the door.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Like a gallon of milk for $1.87. Just went up to $2.19 .... but that will make me shop there (we need 2 gallons/week).

My guess is they lose money selling milk but know it'll get you in the door.
They did a one hour segment on CNBC on CostCo and I think they said CostCo's markup is only 15% while 30% is the norm for typical supermarkets. I think they said the markup at department stores is up to 50%. It makes sense to shop at CostCo especially if you could use up the bulk they sell.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Today while in line for lunch, the girl in front of me bought her lunch with a medium drink... the drink is probably $2 with tax (maybe less... I did not look)... I pay for my lunch and get a cup for water... I get to the soda fountain and watch as the girl puts WATER into her $2 cup... I put my water in to my free cup...

While it wouldn't surprise me if all she drank was water...I will readily admit that if it's really hot out, and I am dying of thirst, and I stop by a fast food place for a meal, I will put a decent amount of ice water in my cup for the first fill (to immediately guzzle down while standing at the drink station, before then refilling it with non-water, usually iced tea). Also, the 3rd (and the 4th refill for the road ) will also definitely be non-water!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
They did a one hour segment on CNBC on CostCo and I think they said CostCo's markup is only 15% while 30% is the norm for typical supermarkets. I think they said the markup at department stores is up to 50%. It makes sense to shop at CostCo especially if you could use up the bulk they sell.
I think I've found the link to the segment. It was a good (interesting and informative) documentary, IMHO.
News Headlines