Join Early Retirement Today

Dumb purchase sighting
Old 05-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dumb purchase sighting

OK... I just HAD to post this since most of us are LBYM types... here is an example of someone who does not have a clue...

Today while in line for lunch, the girl in front of me bought her lunch with a medium drink... the drink is probably $2 with tax (maybe less... I did not look)... I pay for my lunch and get a cup for water... I get to the soda fountain and watch as the girl puts WATER into her $2 cup... I put my water in to my free cup...

What other stupid things have you seen people do and they do not have a clue
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Buy bottled water that is just from a tap anyway?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Maybe that $2 cup contained something that needed a little cutting with water....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
OK... I just HAD to post this since most of us are LBYM types... here is an example of someone who does not have a clue...

Today while in line for lunch, the girl in front of me bought her lunch with a medium drink... the drink is probably $2 with tax (maybe less... I did not look)... I pay for my lunch and get a cup for water... I get to the soda fountain and watch as the girl puts WATER into her $2 cup... I put my water in to my free cup...

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's not what stupid things I have seen other people do; it's what stupid things I have done myself despite all efforts to the contrary. And the answer is, I'm not telling!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It's not what stupid things I have seen other people do; it's what stupid things I have done myself despite all efforts to the contrary. And the answer is, I'm not telling!
Ditto!

heh heh heh - My lips are sealed about some of my doozers also.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
+2, great answer W2R!
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #7

I can't claim that I've never had a "D'oh" moment either. But I won't elaborate on them.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday I came home from work, to find my roommate asleep on the couch, under a blanket. Thermostat for the a/c was set on 79 degrees. I put it down slightly to 78, as it felt a little warm to me, and went into another room.

About 5 minutes later, I walked back into the living room, and saw that the thermostat was lit up, which means that someone just touched it. Turns out the roommate got up, cranked it down to 75 degrees and then...wait for it...GOT BACK UNDER THE BLANKET!!

Needless to day, I hollered at him for that one. And then put it back up to 78.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I depend on the kindness of strangers to save me from stupid purchases.

Visiting DH in Dallas in January, we decided to cook dinner for him and DIL. We went to Central Market (I love CM--it makes Dallas a destination vacation for us) to buy some dried oregano for the recipe. I asked where the spices were and explained I wanted a jar of oregano. The clerk pointed at the $6/jar for maybe 2 oz., but before I could take it off the shelf she said, "You can get the same amount for about 25 cents in the bulk spices area." We did.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #10

I notice something similar more often in supermarkets these days. I always check the unit price, and the other day I was looking at two boxes of cereal. One was nearly twice the size of the other, but the cost per ounce of the small box was practically half the cost of the large box. Exactly the opposite of what you'd expect, and I wonder how many people contributed to the store's bottom line by not checking.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #11

Quote:

I SO want to ask if she was a blonde, but I'll refrain
Old 05-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
I SO want to ask if she was a blonde, but I'll refrain

Nope.... but I am not answering....
Old 05-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #13

As long as she didn't turn around and ask if you could spare a couple bucks.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #14

Well I just threw away a $5 container of meatball meat beacuase it expired 2 days ago ... direct order from DW.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I notice something similar more often in supermarkets these days. I always check the unit price, and the other day I was looking at two boxes of cereal. One was nearly twice the size of the other, but the cost per ounce of the small box was practically half the cost of the large box. Exactly the opposite of what you'd expect, and I wonder how many people contributed to the store's bottom line by not checking.

I can actually understand it a bit more in a supermarket... most people look at the size they want and buy it... not looking to see if buying two smaller ones is cheaper... they actually did get something that was not free for their money...
Old 05-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

The supermarket often puts things in it's flyer as if they are on sale, but they are really just normal price.

I once replaced a fridge partly because I noticed that it was running all the time. I since learned that they are designed to do that.

I once almost got a small woodstove for our bedroom. We would never have used it because we only sleep in there, and we like it cold when we sleep.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #17

One thing on our last cruise a member of our group bought the drink package so that she could have fresh squeezed orange juice each am. At over $20 per day, that was some pretty expensive OJ. Especially when she could have just bought a glass each am.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... it's what stupid things I have done myself despite all efforts to the contrary. And the answer is, I'm not telling!
Back when I was doing stupid things, after I sobered up I usually couldn't remember them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Exactly the opposite of what you'd expect, and I wonder how many people contributed to the store's bottom line by not checking.
I see that all the time. Another passive math tax.

Our local commissary is using LED price tags (on the shelf bullnoses) that display the unit price, but I still end up doing math because they'll show one unit price in gallons and the other in ounces.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Back when I was doing stupid things, after I sobered up I usually couldn't remember them...

I see that all the time. Another passive math tax.

Our local commissary is using LED price tags (on the shelf bullnoses) that display the unit price, but I still end up doing math because they'll show one unit price in gallons and the other in ounces.
My hand held calculator got me sent out to the car on several occasions while she finished buying what she 'knew' she was gonna get.

As for stupid - I hated it when she recounted what I couldn't remember.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I once replaced a fridge partly because I noticed that it was running all the time. I since learned that they are designed to do that.
? I've never seen one run all the time. A 50% duty cycle seems normal for the three that we have had that I've checked.

They cycle on/off with the thermostat.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote