Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Elliptical exercise machine. Only cost us $300 per use.

Why did it seem cool at the store yet felt so ridiculous at home, having your arms and legs swinging back and forth.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
My least favorite four letter word: boat.

Worst yet - I repeated the mistake at least four times over several decades before I got it thru my thick skull - for me -

Dat's a No! No!

heh heh heh -
I've been cured of the boat thing, well almost. I do have a kayak, much enjoyed. It does not eat dollar bills by the minute.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
2001 Hyundai Accent
No doubt. Had it as a rental car. The gas pedal is really a leading indicator to perhaps some acceleration. Well, at least the racket gave you plenty of notice of future forward movement.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
Elliptical exercise machine. Only cost us $300 per use.

Why did it seem cool at the store yet felt so ridiculous at home, having your arms and legs swinging back and forth.

I bought several stationary bikes that were great sweater dryers !
Old 01-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ok, I'll 'fess up. A GIGANTIC weight machine/body builder...we call it "The Monster." DH was the one that purchased it. We've had it for 11 years and have used it maybe 50 times. He's said his job takes up too much of his time, so it sits there collecting dust. Well, in about 2 months he'll be retiring. We'll see what happens....

Scrap metal anyone?
Never ceases to amaze me what these exercise equipment makers can foist on people. I found out early when I was a dirty poor grad student that the only things I needed were 200 push ups a day, a backpack full of engineer text books, a solid chair, and insane amount of motivation. I wish I have that motivation now. Now 20-40 pushups, and I'm done. Then again, school had other motivations for me to keep in shape.

I'm not entirely free of guilt from exercise equipment binge. At one time I had 3 bikes and about 8 sets of wheels plus so much riding gear that I didn't need to wash anything for a week, and I still have a closet full of TKD sparring gear. My new place has a TKD gym literally 1 block away. I walked past it tonight to dinner and never bother even looking in.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #46

Yes, I too am dumb.
Bought something called Muzicdepot.com in 2001.

Free
Old 01-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I've been cured of the boat thing, well almost. I do have a kayak, much enjoyed. It does not eat dollar bills by the minute.
I bought a used Porta-bote (A Folding Foldable Portable Fishing Boat And Dinghy By Porta-Bote also known as Portabote Porta-Boat Portaboat Foldboat, Instaboat * Portabot) and a 5-hp Briggs & Stratton outboard. With that I can spend a whole day on the river for less than $5.

The boat folds up and leans against the wall in a corner of the garage.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #48

Finance Dude, your Grandmother now holds a record in my mind for worst car purchases!
My parents bought a new Vega, though!

The purchase that comes to mind as one I regret is probably my first car, where my payments were more than my rent. But it did teach me a great lesson (never have payments on a car) and I did get 375,000 miles out of it before I sold it to the junkyard for $500. Live and learn.

I was very happy when we sold our sailboat, but I do not regret the purchase one bit. It was a vehicle for our dreams, and it carried us happily there and safely back home.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

First car, because it was really cheap!
'57 Nash station wagon - Pink and gray- drove fixed it for a year and sold it for $100. Good riddance!!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
A 1975 Corvette as my only car in 1977 when I was 23 years old, single, and knew everything. .
Funny you should say that, I'm the original owner of a 75' Vette and will never sell it. It has so many memories and is a reliable car although I don't use it as a daily driver. I'm so glad I purchased it and I'm hoping one day I'll pass it on to my son or daughter.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Our dumbest purchase: A North Shore (Pupukea) house at the peak of the Hawaii housing bubble in 1990. We were seriously considering buying the property for very little down, renting out the basement, and commuting an hour (each way) to Pearl Harbor. Of course we also needed to sell the home we'd bought the year before, even though we'd stripped the master bath down to the studs and hadn't yet rebuilt it. And we would've needed two mortgages, one of them taking back paper from the seller without him bothering to record the loan (which lien might have upset the primary lender).

The whole deal fell apart when the realtor's verbal assurances didn't translate to a written contract. Animosity & recriminations took over and we eventually forfeited our $5000 deposit. That hurt almost as much as the housing bubble popping shortly afterward. Our prospective $625K purchase (if we'd even been able to keep renting it out and paying the mortgage during the 1990s) would have appreciated today to about $2M, or roughly 6%/year. Of course it would've crashed to less than $400K first, and that appreciation would have barely paid the fuel bills for our commute. Oh, and the Navy transferred us to San Diego four years later. Keeping two renters in that property during our absence would've been a bit problematic.

The experience was well worth the tuition. We finished our master bath renovation, hunkered down around our equity with other improvements, and weathered the storm. (We also implemented Plan B of starting a family.) Today our first home has appreciated at the same ratio as the Pupukea estate, but in a much more affordable manner while we were able to keep paying the mortgage during our entire time there. And when spouse eventually found our "dream home" a decade later we had the experience, skills, & confidence to pounce on the deal.

For all those of you still holding on to your own dumbest purchases, the liquidation solution may be: Craigslist. We've bought dozens of deals from Craigslist, many of them furniture or appliances that qualified in the original owner's mind as "dumb".

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
As of today, without question............Nortel Stock!!!!!
FRIG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ouch.......
Add me to that club. Glad I bailed in 2006, and I think I'll be sitting out this bankruptcy analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Never ceases to amaze me what these exercise equipment makers can foist on people. I found out early when I was a dirty poor grad student that the only things I needed were 200 push ups a day, a backpack full of engineer text books, a solid chair, and insane amount of motivation. I wish I have that motivation now. Now 20-40 pushups, and I'm done. Then again, school had other motivations for me to keep in shape.
We've bought an elliptical, a treadmill, a universal machine, a weight bench, and a set of weights from Craigslist-- all for under $250. (We spent more than that on the flooring for our storage shed.) As soon as our kid got her driver's license, she stopped using the home gym in favor of picking up hot soldiers working out at the local military base. But spouse and I enjoy using our gym, and it was a great starter parent-kid home-improvement project.

200 pushups a day is about the max I'm capable of building up to. (Thanks to StrengthBuilder.com.) Next week I'm going to see if I've made any improvements on my pullups.

Quote:
... and I still have a closet full of TKD sparring gear. My new place has a TKD gym literally 1 block away.
Do you see yourself ever using the gear again? What made you stop sparring? I'm asking the question because our kid is leaving the next in 576 days and without her inspiration I might find it difficult to keep reporting in for my Friday-night thrashings.

The dojang might appreciate your donation. All of our "old" pads & hogu (that our kid grew out of) have found a second life in our dojang's gear bin. We used donated gear for almost our first year of training and we were able to learn what worked for us before we bought our own.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianteddy View Post
it was one of those talking cars that announced "Your door is ajar" That phrase makes me cringe to this day.
I have a different memory of this - our daughter was about 5. The first time she heard the voice, she got a quizzical look on her face and asked, "A door is a JAR?"
Old 01-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #53

Quote:
200 pushups a day is about the max I'm capable of building up to. (Thanks to StrengthBuilder.com.) Next week I'm going to see if I've made any improvements on my pullups.
Where do you find the motivation? Oh, wait, you're on the beach everyday. Never mind. Good weather and a conducive environment does make a difference.

Quote:

Do you see yourself ever using the gear again? What made you stop sparring? I'm asking the question because our kid is leaving the next in 576 days and without her inspiration I might find it difficult to keep reporting in for my Friday-night thrashings.

The dojang might appreciate your donation. All of our "old" pads & hogu (that our kid grew out of) have found a second life in our dojang's gear bin. We used donated gear for almost our first year of training and we were able to learn what worked for us before we bought our own.
Perhaps. The reason I stopped is that the need to the a bad mofo no longer burns as intensely after 35. Also, if I were to take up sparring again, it will be more complete with self defense, grappling, and floor fighting thrown in. TKD sparring is hard, but I always felt I was not getting to practice the entire fight. That or I'll join a boxing gym.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #54

Quote:
That or I'll join a boxing gym.
Back in '87, I bought a $1200 non-refundable one year gym membership. I went a couple of times and lost interest. That's $600 per workout - a bit steep
Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Ditto on the exercise equipment. About 15 years ago on a business trip a Nordic Track treadmill (not ski machine) was in my hotel room. Seemed for those 2 days if this monster was a non electric wizard that would last forever and be easy to get to like at home. The card in the hotel room said to call this # and get one just like it at home. I've moved this thing around, it works ok, but just doesn't seem to ever has been as attractive to use once at home vs. in the hotel room. With the advent of more modern and advanced and lower cost electric models this out of date and little used item still sits. Having it seems like a memory of $$$ spent too fast and not doing any comparison shopping at the time...value today I'm guessing is maybe $10 at a garage sale....paid more than $500 I believe.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

A plate joiner and containers of birchwood wafers. A bit of specialized toolage that cuts slots in opposing pieces of wood which then are joined with glue and the birch wafers. not at all cheap, and i've used it maybe a couple times. Then there are the brokedown cars and trucks that seemed like they would be a good idea to fix up, but never got around to them.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Saw this cutter and the biscuits used in "This Old House". Thought it was neat!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #58

(8) 1000w hps lights, 350 1 gal pots, and some plywood
Old 01-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
(8) 1000w hps lights, 350 1 gal pots, and some plywood
And 5000 arugula seeds?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
And 5000 arugula seeds?