Dune remake in the works?

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
One of my favorite books. Hopefully this time they can make a blockbuster that is as good as the book.

Story here https://deadline.com/2019/02/jason-momoa-dune-aquaman-frank-herbert-denis-villenueve-1202557876/
Legendary is in negotiations for Aquaman star Jason Momoa to join the cast of Denis Villeneuve’s film adaptation of Frank Herbert’s bestselling novel Dune. Momoa joins an already stellar cast of Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Dave Bautista, Stellan Skarsgård, Charlotte Rampling, Javier Bardem, and Josh Brolin. The script was written by Villeneuve, Eric Roth and Jon Spaihts.

Great book. Never saw the movie.

Great book. Never saw the movie.

There is a movie on Dune, then there is a TV series which covers multiple books of Dune. I like the TV series better. It's worth checking them out even just to compare against the books. Speaking of the books, the later ones turned into crap and I am glad the TV series only covered up to where it did.

Didn't see the movie, but read all the original books.
Although I enjoyed the original, with the sequels I got the impression that Frank Herbert was
a. paid by the word
b. taking himself and his story WAY too seriously.

"wheels within wheels"

I kind of got a kick out of the old move with Sting playing the lead.

Edit: yes it was a perverse thing.

Loved the book.

Last edited:
I actually rather liked the 1984 movie in a strange perverse way . . . loved the book although the sequels got rather tedious. The movie remake was horrible.

Though a great lover of s-f and fantasy, I never could get into Dune; and the movie was awful. Sting looked great in it, though.

I liked the first book.

Didn't see the movie, but read all the original books.
Although I enjoyed the original, with the sequels I got the impression that Frank Herbert was
a. paid by the word
b. taking himself and his story WAY too seriously.

"wheels within wheels"

I think "a." As I keep reading the next Dune book, I noticed it got progressively worse. The last few are clearly written to squeeze out more money from the 1st book's success.

After Dune I think Herbert conceived of the series as a trilogy and Dune Messiah and particularly Children of Dune were still pretty good. After that the cash cow disease began to afflict him and his writing more and more.

If you've read the book then the David Lynch movie is fun to watch as a (highly) idiosyncratic illustration of various scenes from the book. For those who haven't read the book it's pretty much incoherent.

I saw the later TV miniseries and it was 'OK' - more easily followed than the movie, but without the oddball Lynch visual approach that made the original movie fun to watch.

Any time I have read the book then seen the movie, the movie has been disappointing. I will take a pass on this one.

This was an earlier attempt on making a movie out of Dune, which was documented in this film of 2013:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodorowsky%27s_Dune

among some interesting (to me) tidbits:

I love the books, and have a strong dislike for the Lynch version. Looking forward to a decent version, won't be an easy feat though.

In fact, I'd rather have a TV series game of thrones style. Start with the prequels even.

This was an earlier attempt on making a movie out of Dune, which was documented in this film of 2013:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodorowsky%27s_Dune

among some interesting (to me) tidbits:

I love the books, and have a strong dislike for the Lynch version. Looking forward to a decent version, won't be an easy feat though.

In fact, I'd rather have a TV series game of thrones style. Start with the prequels even.
Interesting link, thanks. That was some cast, eh?

A truly tedious movie, never read the book.

+1... my friend that went with me to the movie had read the book and was wanting to walk out... I stuck it out to the end but it got even worse the longer the movie was going...

Not the worst movie I have ever seen, but probably in the bottom 10.. (or top 10 worse if you want to go that way...)

OH, BTW, my friend said that there were scenes that were seconds in the movie that were really important in the book... but if you had not read them you were scratching your head of why did I just see that....

Back
Top Bottom