Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

ERD...

I do have an attic antenna, but never mounted it properly... and my house was wired with the 300 ohm flat wires.... so I go from 75 off the antenna to 300, back to 75... for awhile I was using a booster which made it work pretty well, but things started to go downhill for some reason... did not want to run wire all over the place and could not get the old out of the wall as someone tacked it in....

SO, I went rabbit ears... with a 10 db boost and it worked relatively well.... sometimes not so good, most of the time good enough for me...

I am watching a digital baseball game and the colors just seem a bit 'off'... don't know why, but just off a bit.. but it does not have any snow or ghosts or anything... so as sharp as I can expect with my analog TV..

I am hoping to move sometime soon... if the people will sign the short sale papers or the bank will get off the dime and foreclose on the property... but I have been waiting 3 months already... but I can wait them out... I am in no hurry for a deal.. then I will get it all set up properly...

TromboneAl... I think it is true with signal strength.... I went to a channel where I knew I did not get a signal and it took a LONG time to tell me there was no signal... went to one with a 'good' signal and it was faster... so maybe us 'fringe' people have to pay for living so far away...

BUT, why I get the analog signals all the time... and changing channels is almost instant... why is digital different? Why do they not 'keep track' of all the signals out there ready and waiting to go... it is not like the signal is not at the machine when I change the channel... it is there...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
ERD...

I do have an attic antenna, but never mounted it properly... and my house was wired with the 300 ohm flat wires....

I am watching a digital baseball game and the colors just seem a bit 'off'...

BUT, why I get the analog signals all the time... and changing channels is almost instant... why is digital different?
Yes, w/o good clean wiring, the attic antenna might not be any better than rabbit ears.

Don't blame 'off colors' on digital. With digital, you either get a signal or not. It goes to a 'blue screen' if it can't pull it in, if it can pull it in, it is as good as it gets, there is no in-between. If you are right on the hairy edge, you will see some big square blocks come and go (like when they try to edit out a person's face on TV - those big pixelated areas).

Put an analog set next to the digital on the same station - you will see and hear that the digital is maybe a second or two later than the analog. The analog just gets displayed as it is received. The digital gets decoded, error detected, error corrected, processed buffered up, and THEN sent to the TV screen.

So, when a digital set changes channels, it has to get enough signal decoded to see that it really can decode it properly, and probably buffer up a few frames, and that seems to take a few seconds. I suspect that happens faster when you have a strong signal and fewer errors, but that is a bit of an educated guess on my part.

I'm not sure, but digital TV might send a 'key frame' every so often ( 1 or 2x /second?) and then only send the differences for the next frames - so it may need to wait for a 'key frame' to even get started - I know some compression schemes work that way.

-ERD50

Old 05-04-2008, 11:06 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

ERD50.... yes... I knew that digital was on or off.... just that the color did look different... and it could be from the source when they convert it to digital... or it could be the actual color.... just looked 'different'... not bad mind you...

And I am on the fringe... some of the channels I do not get... others I am getting OK late in the day, but was not getting them this afternoon (same problem with analog... signal seems to be stronger a night)... and I do see the boxes at times on some... I DO think I will like this when all is said and done... and also when I buy an HDTV...

RonBoyd.... I think what you are saying about TV guide is not what I was talking about... so it was a different model which had this feature... what is was was a listing of ALL the channels and what was coming up over the next week or two... it said it was like a 'cheap' TIVO... you could just look at the schedule and choose what you wanted to watch with one touch and not have to schedule the whole show.... which would make it a lot easier to program...

From what I see here.. I have to look up what I want to record this week and then go in and program each and every one as a 'timed recording'.. not a one touch pick 'em from a menu feature... I would have loved that feature...
Old 05-05-2008, 07:45 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
RonBoyd.... I think what you are saying about TV guide is not what I was talking about... not a one touch pick 'em from a menu feature... I would have loved that feature...
Yesterday, I went to Sam's, purchased a membership, and a DVDR3576H for $249 (+tax). The recorder was $309 at Amazon so it was easy(er) to accept the $40 Sam's membership fee.

Anyway, Everything seems to work properly but... to be honest, it is a little more complicated than I was prepared for. For example, I, too, had the problem of a small picture with surrounding black bars. There is no index in the manual and the solution was finally found with the direction on Page 101 to go to page 109 for instructions on changing the "TV Aspect."

I am, however, having concerns about the picture itself. It is what I would call "muddy" compared to the picture produced by the TV set independently. I have the TV Set and the Recorder hooked up to the OTA Antenna separately via a splitter. (The other TV and my computer are also on this same antenna -- I also had a analog recorder attached with the line currently connected to the DVDR3576 with no problems.) In addition, the analog channels are really terrible. I am suspecting it may be something wrong with the tuner but am probably wrong about that because it has separate analog and digital tuners. I am searching the manual for color/brightness/contrast controls but have, so far, been mostly unsuccessful.

Oh! Yeah. Your question. What you are looking for is something like the "Guide" under "TV & Movies" that Windows Media Center has. It is a subscription service, I believe. I don't know much more than that but you could start your search there.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Try this site for answers - here's a FAQ/sticky thread on the device, with links to other relevant threads:

Philips DVDR3575H/37 and DVDR3576H/37 Features, Setup and Operation - AVS Forum

-ERD50
Old 05-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Another OTA DVR option, no subscription required - but 'coming soon':

Echostar TR-50 HDTV DVR: Official Thread - AVS Forum

-ERD50
Old 05-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Try this site for answers - here's a FAQ/sticky thread on the device, with links to other relevant threads:

Philips DVDR3575H/37 and DVDR3576H/37 Features, Setup and Operation - AVS Forum

-ERD50
Yeah, that is the link I posted in thread #2 above. I really was hoping not to have to read through all 768 posts to the AVS thread. No such luck I guess. Yuck! (Thank you anyway.)
Old 05-06-2008, 12:17 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

RonBoyd...

Welcome aboard... yes, the price was about $50 less than any other place I could find... some more comments...

The color sees to be to 'bright'... the greens are TO green, the reds seem a bit more purple... except bright red which seems to overpower the screen.... so I went and changed the color a bit on my TV and it looks more natural now... still a bit strong and for some reason more 'green' than I would think... but this could be just me thinking this because I just saw a NICE blue sky when yesterday it was green (prior to me changing the color on the TV)...

As for the double black bars.... I have figured this out.... when you have it set for 4:3... then the screen is set to show the wide screen on your 4:3 TV... so if they are sending a wide screen shot, you only have the bars on the top and bottom... but when they send a 4:3 over that same setting... you then get the side black bars... so your TV has now shrunk in size....

You can fix it by changing the aspect ration to 4:3 pan and scan... it fills your screen up nicely, but you do lose the wide screen shots if they are sending them.... I am leaving mine on the pan and scan unless it is a movie or a sport event...

Another difference is that the sound is lower by a bit... so when I change from the unit to the TV tuner, I get a louder sound and have to cut it down a few clicks... nothing bad.. just a difference..

I still need to learn how to record and watch at the same time.... don't know if you can, but I did read somewhere you could... but it might only be the DVD... so, if I want to watch a TV show I recorded and also be recording a new one.... I guess I need to dub the original to DVD and watch while recording....

And my latest issue.... I paused the TV when my mom called... but we talked for a bit longer than I thought we were... and I wanted to change channels as my original program was ending and a new one I wanted to watch was coming on.... if I could have 'saved' the pause live and gone to the new one... or whatever... I would have loved to know how... or IF you could do it..

All in all... I am GLAD to have started going down this path... but there might be something better, but I think the price is a lot higher and not for me...

As for the guide.... I got this from the Echostar link...

"the TR-50 will receive free guide data from PBS and CBS stations 8-VSB datacast. Guide data " And I had read where there was a TV guide machine that did not cost anything.... as of today... I think this does not support a TV guide in the unit...
Old 05-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The color sees to be to 'bright'... the greens are TO green, the reds seem a bit more purple... except bright red which seems to overpower the screen.... so I went and changed the color a bit on my TV and it looks more natural now... still a bit strong and for some reason more 'green' than I would think... but this could be just me thinking this because I just saw a NICE blue sky when yesterday it was green (prior to me changing the color on the TV)...
Yeah, that kinda describes what I have also. I am uninterested in adjusting the TV to accomodate so I wrote to Philips about this asking their advise. I am patiently waiting ("Thank you for contacting Philips, your e-mail has been assigned to an agent who will respond within 24 hours.")

I also have another problem: I cannot get sound using the HDMI connection -- I have to connect Audio cables in addition. I suspect it is a analog/digital switch I can't find but asked about that too.

Quote:
You can fix it by changing the aspect ration to 4:3 pan and scan...
Yeah, I have a wide screen ans switching it 16:3 fixed it for me.

Quote:
Another difference is that the sound is lower by a bit...
I hadn't noticed that. Of course, I pipe the sound through a receiver (5.1) so that may make a difference.

Quote:
I still need to learn how to record and watch at the same time...
Yeah, I am really struggling with the User's Manual. There is way too much information... and no index. I just spent an hour to figure out how to delete recorded segments from the HDD.

Quote:
And my latest issue.... I paused the TV when my mom called... but we talked for a bit longer than I thought we were... and I wanted to change channels as my original program was ending and a new one I wanted to watch was coming on.... if I could have 'saved' the pause live and gone to the new one... or whatever... I would have loved to know how... or IF you could do it.....
Yikes! I don't like where this is going.

Quote:
All in all... I am GLAD to have started going down this path... but there might be something better, but I think the price is a lot higher and not for me...
I concur.

Quote:
As for the guide.... I got this from the Echostar link...

"the TR-50 will receive free guide data from PBS and CBS stations 8-VSB datacast. Guide data " And I had read where there was a TV guide machine that did not cost anything.... as of today... I think this does not support a TV guide in the unit...
Let us know how this turns out.