DVR DVD combo - questions

RonBoyd...

Welcome aboard... yes, the price was about $50 less than any other place I could find... some more comments...

The color sees to be to 'bright'... the greens are TO green, the reds seem a bit more purple... except bright red which seems to overpower the screen.... so I went and changed the color a bit on my TV and it looks more natural now... still a bit strong and for some reason more 'green' than I would think... but this could be just me thinking this because I just saw a NICE blue sky when yesterday it was green (prior to me changing the color on the TV)...

As for the double black bars.... I have figured this out.... when you have it set for 4:3... then the screen is set to show the wide screen on your 4:3 TV... so if they are sending a wide screen shot, you only have the bars on the top and bottom... but when they send a 4:3 over that same setting... you then get the side black bars... so your TV has now shrunk in size....

You can fix it by changing the aspect ration to 4:3 pan and scan... it fills your screen up nicely, but you do lose the wide screen shots if they are sending them.... I am leaving mine on the pan and scan unless it is a movie or a sport event...

Another difference is that the sound is lower by a bit... so when I change from the unit to the TV tuner, I get a louder sound and have to cut it down a few clicks... nothing bad.. just a difference..

I still need to learn how to record and watch at the same time.... don't know if you can, but I did read somewhere you could... but it might only be the DVD... so, if I want to watch a TV show I recorded and also be recording a new one.... I guess I need to dub the original to DVD and watch while recording....

And my latest issue.... I paused the TV when my mom called... but we talked for a bit longer than I thought we were... and I wanted to change channels as my original program was ending and a new one I wanted to watch was coming on.... if I could have 'saved' the pause live and gone to the new one... or whatever... I would have loved to know how... or IF you could do it..

All in all... I am GLAD to have started going down this path... but there might be something better, but I think the price is a lot higher and not for me...

As for the guide.... I got this from the Echostar link...

"the TR-50 will receive free guide data from PBS and CBS stations 8-VSB datacast. Guide data " And I had read where there was a TV guide machine that did not cost anything.... as of today... I think this does not support a TV guide in the unit...

The color sees to be to 'bright'... the greens are TO green, the reds seem a bit more purple... except bright red which seems to overpower the screen.... so I went and changed the color a bit on my TV and it looks more natural now... still a bit strong and for some reason more 'green' than I would think... but this could be just me thinking this because I just saw a NICE blue sky when yesterday it was green (prior to me changing the color on the TV)...

Yeah, that kinda describes what I have also. I am uninterested in adjusting the TV to accomodate so I wrote to Philips about this asking their advise. I am patiently waiting ("Thank you for contacting Philips, your e-mail has been assigned to an agent who will respond within 24 hours.")

I also have another problem: I cannot get sound using the HDMI connection -- I have to connect Audio cables in addition. I suspect it is a analog/digital switch I can't find but asked about that too.

You can fix it by changing the aspect ration to 4:3 pan and scan...

Yeah, I have a wide screen ans switching it 16:3 fixed it for me.

Another difference is that the sound is lower by a bit...

I hadn't noticed that. Of course, I pipe the sound through a receiver (5.1) so that may make a difference.

I still need to learn how to record and watch at the same time...

Yeah, I am really struggling with the User's Manual. There is way too much information... and no index. I just spent an hour to figure out how to delete recorded segments from the HDD.

And my latest issue.... I paused the TV when my mom called... but we talked for a bit longer than I thought we were... and I wanted to change channels as my original program was ending and a new one I wanted to watch was coming on.... if I could have 'saved' the pause live and gone to the new one... or whatever... I would have loved to know how... or IF you could do it.....

Yikes! I don't like where this is going.

All in all... I am GLAD to have started going down this path... but there might be something better, but I think the price is a lot higher and not for me...

I concur.

As for the guide.... I got this from the Echostar link...

"the TR-50 will receive free guide data from PBS and CBS stations 8-VSB datacast. Guide data " And I had read where there was a TV guide machine that did not cost anything.... as of today... I think this does not support a TV guide in the unit...

Let us know how this turns out.

Back
Top Bottom