Join Early Retirement Today

DW is a horrible driver
Old 12-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW is a horrible driver

... telling her so won't be constructive , so I'll just rant a little here if you don't mind.

the good: she hasn't totaled a car in 12 years.. (ran a red light and was t-boned, luckily with no injuries to either driver).
the bad: she rides the brakes, is tentative and indecisive, not assertive, hugs the right side of the lane...

Her driving skills were fine for the smaller town we lived in. Traffic was not a big problem. In the big city people drive so much more aggressively and if you don't drive a little more determined and engaged, you'll get in trouble. I don't mean that she should drive too aggressive, just with a little more enthusiasm.

I only ride with her when I must.

All this being said, she likewise thinks I'm a lousy driver I've encouraged her to wear a blindfold, but haven't been successful.

Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mine scares the heck out of me and I am afraid form the grandkids to ride with her.

Sha refuses to use her mirrors and will not pass anyone running slower than her.

Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Until DW had admitted she "couldn't see well" because of her cataracts, she banged up our NEW Santa Few four (yes, 4) times.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #4

Driverless cars will soon come to the rescue...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You could look into something like this:
Driver Improvement Courses For Seniors

If you both signed up for it, then there wouldn't be any stigma attached to recommending it for her.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:21 AM   #6

Plus buying/leasing a new car with Level 2 automation
(forward collision warning w/ autonomous emergency braking, lane keep assist, etc.)
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

tfudtuckerpucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #8

First of all, let's hope DW never sees this post!

I know what you mean; I could have written the OP. My DW is tentative as well. Now, I'm not saying we should pull out in front of people, speed, pass on the double line, etc. DW is so tentative she waits too long at stop signs to the point that the other drivers assume she's letting them go, then she pulls out and complains about the other driver cutting her off. I also threaten to blindfold her when I drive, too. But riding with her for over a quarter-century has taught me to keep my mouth shut.

Bless her heart!
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

If you both signed up for it, then there wouldn't be any stigma attached to recommending it for her.
That's a smart idea.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
... telling her so won't be constructive , so I'll just rant a little here if you don't mind.

the good: she hasn't totaled a car in 12 years.. (ran a red light and was t-boned, luckily with no injuries to either driver).
the bad: she rides the brakes, is tentative and indecisive, not assertive, hugs the right side of the lane...

Her driving skills were fine for the smaller town we lived in. Traffic was not a big problem. In the big city people drive so much more aggressively and if you don't drive a little more determined and engaged, you'll get in trouble. I don't mean that she should drive too aggressive, just with a little more enthusiasm.

I only ride with her when I must.

All this being said, she likewise thinks I'm a lousy driver I've encouraged her to wear a blindfold, but haven't been successful.
Lucky You! My wife totaled her 2009 turbo Jetta a little over two years ago. She ran into the back of a stopped school bus - while waiting at a light.

The only good thing that came out of this was she received a pretty high insurance reimbursement in conjunction with a $2,500 VW settlement due to their legal issues.

Our insurance premiums with the lizard doubled and fortunately another carrier picked us up without penalty. Outside of her having to go to w*rk, I try to do all of the driving.

I
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:37 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

You have my sympathy. DH has ADDD—attention deficit driving disorder—and loses focus if he sees a red winged blackbird or a pretty sunset, or heaven help us if a song comes on that he likes, which causes him to slow down down down until it’s over. He also doesn’t see a problem on a two-lane road to drive straddling the center if no one is coming—one memorable night he went a couple of miles in the oncoming lane waiting I guess for an oncoming car to show up and need it (I finally spoke up). He has never had an accident, though. Fortunately he doesn’t really like to drive so I do most of it.

I highly recommend a new car with assisted everything. And big rubber bumpers would be a nice invention just in case.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

+1

I have offered the below linked class to DW as she also tends to be too slow and tentative. It is more aggressive than a solely classroom experience (you can use your car or theirs). There is of course some class time but there is time on the track as well. There is also skid training on a skid pad. From personal experience (at work we received annual driving classes) I know that is VERY useful. It goes far beyond spinning donuts on a snowy parking lot. The 5-minute video at the second link is worth watching.

Where I worked the most common cause of injury or death was traffic accidents simply because we spent so much time on the road. So the employer naturally made driver training a priority.

Accident Avoidance | Summit Point Motorsports Park

https://www.accidentavoidance.com/

Perhaps there is something like that near Tailgate?
Old 12-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Same here.

I basically drive the speed limit or up to 5 mph more, but Im always driving WAY too fast or WAY too slow - not sure how it can be both. She was fine with our driving until she had a serious accident about 10 years ago, shes been very skittish in cars ever since. She always thinks Im too close to other cars, guard rails, lane markers and she goes ape when we have to drive next to concrete barriers - I think her depth perception isnt what it used to be. And shes admitted she cant see as well at night, so that compounds it all. But I love her all the same...

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
(forward collision warning w/ autonomous emergency braking, lane keep assist, etc.)
True story: I was driving wife's 2016 E350 on a trip (I hardly ever drive her car), and a car in front slammed on brakes. Our car beeped a couple of times, and assisted with braking until the other car was moving again and no danger. I said, "what was that beeping?", she said, " I don't know, it does that all the time!"

I looked it up in the owners manual later and determined it was Forward Collision Warning system. I didn't even know about it. Once I told her what it was, and she remembered/realized what she had said "...it does that all the time", we had a good 5 minute laugh.
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #15

Quote:

Her driving skills were fine for the smaller town we lived in. Traffic was not a big problem. In the big city people drive so much more aggressively and if you don't drive a little more determined and engaged, you'll get in trouble.
Sounds like you could live and/or drive in the Houston area. Possibly the worse (or at least the most aggressive drivers) I've ever seen.
Car-Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:00 PM   #16

I have to say my wife is a great driver. The thing is with me I trust my own driving over anyone else but that doesn't mean I'm a better driver then anyone else. I like to have control of the wheel. LOL
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:06 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
Well said.

The only thing I have to add is that the vehicle tends to go where the driver is looking. Perhaps OP's DW is focusing on the right shoulder to almost the exclusion of everything else.

Observed that my DW, an excellent driver, makes millions of course corrections in the span of a mile. She's obsessive about keeping the vehicle in the absolute center of the driving lane - jab of the wheel to the right, over correction to the left, etc., etc.

My driving style is more of picking a target in the center of the driving lane a quarter of a mile up the road. Steering is more of an imperceivable lean to port or starboard.

DW is near-sighted. I'm far-sighted. Just saying.
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post

Bless her heart!
I see what you did there!

and I am shutting up. And i have the bruises on my right bicep to prove it
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Sha refuses to use her mirrors and will not pass anyone running slower than her.
How do you not pass someone running slower than you? Rear-end them?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Unless a new car is out of the picture, this is the absolute best answer - it is not a luxury brand thing anymore at all, and the auto braking and lane assists are fantastic these days. Gentle steering widely available as well.

And if its the car beeping at the wife instead of me then I just stay quiet

DanP is offline   Reply With Quote