Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
DW is finally retiring
Old 06-28-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Richards
Posts: 954
DW is finally retiring

Ok I have been retired for over a year , have no interest to sit in the office cage again . DW has been planning and planning , now we are down to what day of the week she give her resignation .
Her boss returned from vacation yesterday and was told a supervisor was leaving . Out of frustration he asked her who else is leaving . I think it terrified her so she postponed to next week .
She has this attachment to her job that she feels that nobody can do it but her . She works for a megacorp and she feels the person to take her job has not taken any interest or care . It is time for her to go hopefully next week will be it !
__________________

Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Dash man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Limerick
Posts: 2,386
I retired three years before DW. When she finally decided it was time, she still found reasons to hold off giving notice. She eventually gave notice six months later, intending it to be a three month transition. They gave her an offer she couldn’t refuse to work six more months for a years pay including bonus and vesting options. All in all it was very lucrative for her, but at the end she wishes she had just quit when she wanted to.
__________________

Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:08 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Ok I have been retired for over a year , have no interest to sit in the office cage again . DW has been planning and planning , now we are down to what day of the week she give her resignation .
Her boss returned from vacation yesterday and was told a supervisor was leaving . Out of frustration he asked her who else is leaving . I think it terrified her so she postponed to next week .
She has this attachment to her job that she feels that nobody can do it but her . She works for a megacorp and she feels the person to take her job has not taken any interest or care . It is time for her to go hopefully next week will be it !


The sad thing is that even if she’s right, Megacorp will quickly forget. My experience has been that once people are gone, their former co-workers move on quickly.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:26 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 23,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
....DW has been planning and planning , now we are down to what day of the week she give her resignation .
Her boss returned from vacation yesterday and was told a supervisor was leaving . Out of frustration he asked her who else is leaving . I think it terrified her so she postponed to next week . ....
That was a prime opportunity.... "Well since you asked.... me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
The sad thing is that even if she’s right, Megacorp will quickly forget. My experience has been that once people are gone, their former co-workers move on quickly.
Unfortunately true.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:24 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Florence, AL/Helen, GA
Posts: 3,692
Give notice to my old Megacorp and they would usually call HR, speak with the big boss in corporate headquarters and tell you to go ahead and leave then--not even at the end of the day.

No gold watch, no going away employee lunch. Just adios.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:26 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 4,380
I accepted a package and still was gone by 9am.
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:05 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Cobra9777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,951
DW worked for 3 years after I retired. The original plan was that she would retire same time as me. I would ask when she's going to put in her notice and she just avoided the question.

Now, after 18 months of ER, she's struggling a bit. She liked her job and loved the daily interaction with coworkers, many of whom were her friends and social network. She had worked for the same boss for 26 years and they both retired at the same time. They had been discussing the right timing for years. I think she might have kept working a while longer if her boss had stayed. She's slowly building up a new social network away from work and finding a daily rhythm that works for her.

When I first retired, I didn't really understand all this as well as I should have. I wrongly assumed she would want to ER as soon as possible for all the same reasons I did.
__________________
Retired at 52 in July 2013. On to better things...
AA: 55% stock, 15% real estate, 27% bonds, 3% cash
WR: 2.7% SI: 2 pensions, some rental income, SS later
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:43 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
DW worked for 3 years after I retired. The original plan was that she would retire same time as me. I would ask when she's going to put in her notice and she just avoided the question.

Now, after 18 months of ER, she's struggling a bit. She liked her job and loved the daily interaction with coworkers, many of whom were her friends and social network. She had worked for the same boss for 26 years and they both retired at the same time. They had been discussing the right timing for years. I think she might have kept working a while longer if her boss had stayed. She's slowly building up a new social network away from work and finding a daily rhythm that works for her.

When I first retired, I didn't really understand all this as well as I should have. I wrongly assumed she would want to ER as soon as possible for all the same reasons I did.

+1 We tend to forget that those of us who are ready and want to get out ASAP are the exception, rather than the rule. I've fallen into the same trap.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:17 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
UnrealizedPotential's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
The sad thing is that even if she’s right, Megacorp will quickly forget. My experience has been that once people are gone, their former co-workers move on quickly.
Absolutely! That was my experience as well.
__________________
Understanding both the power of compound interest and the difficulty of getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:41 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Richards
Posts: 954
DW , once again has moved it out to the end of the month , she wants to get the close done next week and then close some loose ends . I don't think she can cut the chains.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:14 PM   #11
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
she feels that nobody can do it but her
She will learn how wrong that is sooner or later.
__________________

joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fed up .. Retiring or Semi-Retiring next year cyber888 Hi, I am... 19 11-10-2015 10:09 PM
Retiring FROM vs. Retiring TO. stepford Life after FIRE 56 11-04-2015 08:42 PM
Retiring Fully in 2016 at 60 Finally Dogman FIRE and Money 15 10-07-2015 09:22 AM
arrete finally signs on arrete Hi, I am... 1 07-04-2002 10:06 AM
Finally, finally out of lurkerdom.... panhead Hi, I am... 1 06-26-2002 10:18 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:15 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×