Join Early Retirement Today

DW Left for Work, Didn't Arrive
Old 07-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW Left for Work, Didn't Arrive

DW Left for her weekly volunteer job at the hospital this morning, but didn't arrive. She's never been late.

Turns out that she first went to a doctor's appointment she'd forgotten to mention.

After the worry that this caused, and the calls to the police and highway patrol, perhaps we should start having our tracfone cell phones with us and on all the time. We keep one in the car, but rarely turn it on.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #2

Yes, you should! Would save a lot of worry and it is so easy just to leave them turned on--get a car charger, though. Sorry you had to be so worried!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I have a Virgin Mobile phone in my car and I just leave it on and plugged in all the time. Apparently the battery doesn't mind. That way, anyone can reach me when I'm driving and I have it for an emergency or just to call if I'm going to be late. It was free and costs $5 a month for the service.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

who doesn't have an always-on cell phone with them at all times

Old 07-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #5

I don't.

I'm same as TromboneAl, have cell phone in car but it's never on. Have it for car emergencies, don't want to be tied to communication.

What is this virgin phone for $5 you speak of?
Old 07-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #6

I don't want to have an always-on cell phone on me, especially since it could be w*rk calling me on my off-hours, pulling on my electronic leash.

As long as people who need to know where you are know not to worry, I like being unreachable sometimes. Technology is neat, but it can also be intrusive and privacy-infringing.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
I don't.

I'm same as TromboneAl, have cell phone in car but it's never on. Have it for car emergencies, don't want to be tied to communication.
I have one on my hip - it's never off. Of course it's required for work, but even after ER I imagine I'll have it with me. You never know when you will NEED to snap a photo in the middle of nowhere and send it to all your Facebook friends.

LOL
Old 07-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #8

ziggy said it... if I had a cell phone people from my work would call me all hours. They've tried to force me to get a company cell phone and I've flat out refused, there are enough software developer jobs around here that me having a work cell phone ain't gonna happen.

It's sad man we go out to lunch for one hour and the three coworkers I'm with will all repeatedly answer their cell phones to respond to things that could definitely have been sent via email and responded to at their convenience.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes when I'm out DH calls me and he hears my cell phone ring in our bedroom. I'm always forgettting to take mine or to keep it charged up. It would make sense to do what T-Al does and just keep it in the car (but charging/turned on ).
Old 07-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #10

Quote:
there are enough software developer jobs around here that me having a work cell phone ain't gonna happen.
I didn't know you were in India...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
--get a car charger, though.
Yes, get a car charger, but not one that is specific to your phone. That will likely be obsolete when you eventually get a new phone.

Instead, get one of those little power inverters, and get one that also has the dummy (power only) USB power port. That way, the same charger you use in the house will work, it might come in handy for some other device, and when they standardize on USB powered chargers in a few years, a cable will be all you need for any phone.

-ERD50
Old 07-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #12

Um, for you guys worried about work calling...hows about looking at the number and just ignoring it if it is from work? Who says you have to answer the phone just because you can hear it?
Jeesh! The simplest solutions!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Um, for you guys worried about work calling...hows about looking at the number and just ignoring it if it is from work? Who says you have to answer the phone just because you can hear it?
I have my cell phone on and with me almost always. 90% plus of the calls I receive are desirable. Earlier this morning, my son sent me a pic from the beach where he and his family are vacationing. A few mins later he and my oldest grandson (8 yo) called to follow-up and give me a quick update on the fun they were having. It was great! DW occasionally calls if her plans change just to let me know she'll be arriving home at a different time, etc. Very convenient.

Admittedly, I'm retired now so no work related calls to worry about. But even in my pre-retirement days, I simply turned off my employer supplied phone during times I preferred not to receive calls.

It really is possible to have a cell phone with you and have the convenience be all pros and no cons if you handle it properly.

What I find intrusive is email. Many friends have grown to expect me to check email multiple times per day.......blaaaaah....... Someone wants you to join them for dinner this evening and they send you an email that afternoon? Call my cell which I have conveniently with me. Or even text message. But pu-leeez don't expect me to open my email account multiple times per day!
Old 07-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

What is this virgin phone for $5 you speak of?
When I signed up it was $20 every 90 days or $15 if you have autopay via a credit card. Not sure if that discount is still available. The fee applies to minutes used

Virgin Mobile Help for Prepaid Cell Phone and Plans

Quote:
To keep your service active, you need to add at least $20 every 90 days to keep your service working, even if you still have money in your account. A $10 Top-Up will keep your account active for an additional 45 days (up to a maximum of 90 days).

Or, if you're enrolled in one of our Monthly Plans, just make sure you pay the monthly charge plus taxes and surcharges each month. Register a credit/debit card or your PayPal account and make it really easy. Or if you'd rather use Top-Up cards, make sure you have enough in your balance to cover the cost of the monthly charge (plus taxes and surcharges) and the cost of any features or additional minutes that you use.

Want to break the rules? Click here to learn about our other Top-Up options.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

T-Al, I don't know about your wife's doctor, but mine asks patients to turn their cell phone off. So if I forgot to tell my wife I had a doctor's appointment, she wouldn't be able to reach me on my cell phone anyways (I did try once to use my cell phone while waiting -for 4 hours!- to see the doctor and the calls kept dropping... wonder if he has some kind of cell phone blocking device...).

Anyways. I used to be allergic to cell phones. For about 7 years I had one but kept it turned off at all times, unless I had to call someone. Then I got an iphone... It's so bad, I am hooked... Got to have it on me at all times.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

My DH usually has the cell and keeps it turned on. Unfortunately, when he's gone, he's usually playing music or riding the motorcycle. So...he doesn't hear it and doesn't check for msgs.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Or, just don't give your cell phone number to work. I know people who only give their cell # to 3 or 4 people.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #18
Administrator

Al, you must have been frantic!! I am SO GLAD that it turned out as it did. It's not your wife's fault, and I doubt it will happen again, so give her an extra hug tonight and tell her how much she means to you.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
who doesn't have an always-on cell phone with them at all times

Your shoe is ringing...

Quote:
Unless you are Pavlov's dog, there's no reason to jump off the toilet or out of the shower to answer the phone...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Unless you are Pavlov's dog, there's no reason to jump off the toilet or out of the shower to answer the phone...
Yeah, but after a certain number of years, most of us become Pavlov's dog when it comes to responding to a work call.

Calls from work are extremely annoying, even when it isn't anything vitally important but more along the lines of "Do you remember what we did with situation xyz? The boss wants to know, nobody here remembers, and I don't know how to answer the e-mail.". A call like that can make me feel as though I had never left work. Unwind? Not likely. But if I ignored a call from work instead of answering, I would assume that the call was about something more important that I was ducking. Calls from work just do not put me in a good mood. Good thing I don't receive them frequently even though I do carry my cell phone and it is turned on.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote