Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I think I'm going to give up on the internet and television altogether. Probably toss the newspaper too.

They all do the same thing. Fill your head with lots of disparate ideas, situations and problems from all over the world. While your head likes to be expanded in all these areas, I have a feeling that sending your brain in a bunch of disorganized directions (especially first thing in the morning or last thing at night) leads to a day of disorganization and distraction. Plus it makes you worry about a whole lot of stuff that has nothing to do with you and that you can have no real effect on.

Or I can follow along Gabes path and just watch Dora the Explorer. Only one primary objective involved, and your biggest worry is that Swiper the fox will steal your map and you'll have to go look in a tree for it.

A hundred years ago you spent your brains on your family, friends and your local town/region. Really important things from other parts of the world came to you eventually by news or word of mouth, but you were so embroiled in things that directly mattered that they were just interesting.

Now its the flip side. Theres so much really, really important stuff all over the world...your own life has to take a back seat to it. How could it not?

"SWIPER....NO SWIPING!!!" Over the hill, through the gate,and.... AAAHHHHH!!! I cant take it anymore!!!!!

On a serious note, my question to the OP is this: Does SHE think she needs to cut down? Has she always been like this?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:58 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Now its the flip side. Theres so much really, really important stuff all over the world...your own life has to take a back seat to it. How could it not?
Imagine a world where people thought globally and acted locally.
Imagine a world where the average household didn't watch 40+ hrs of TV a week
Imagine a world where those people excercised - affordable health care for all?
Imagine a world where those people joined clubs - better political leaders
Imagine a world where those people weren't looking for satisfaction through buying - financial security
Imagine a world where those people who did watch 40+ hrs a week were required to be hooked up to a stationary bicycle that generated electricity and returned the excess to the grid - no global warming; no energy crisis.
Imagine...

Old 03-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
On a serious note, my question to the OP is this: Does SHE think she needs to cut down? Has she always been like this?
She doesn't think she needs to cut down, but she's clearly (by her own admission) bored.

Dangermouse: We (DW too) did the exercise from How to Retire Happy, Wild & Free where you have to come up with 50 activities of interest. Basically you reflect on
- things you currently like to do,
- things you used to do/enjoy that have fallen by the wayside,
- things you've never done but always been curious about, and
- physical activity/exercise. It's been interesting and I hope it helps us both lead more active lives.

To me, excessive TV can easily be the worst/most passive activity of all. You have to be careful with internet and reading, but at least you have to be engaged on the internet (if you're on a forum you're interacting with others at least) and you're presumably reading something of interest vs watching TV even when 'there's nothing any good on.' I read a lot, strictly non-fiction, to learn - seems better than watching endless TV.

I'm not judging anyone, just asking for other methods to intervene.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

It probably wouldn't work with adults, but if you have children in the house, then it's easier to make rules for the benefit of the kids. For instance, our house rule is no TV on school days, we simply don't turn it on Monday - Friday. That rule was originally made for children, however, my DH and I abide by it, too (besides if we turn the TV on, the children magically migrate towards it like zombies... no matter what is on and how interesting or not interesting it is).

I don't want my children to grow up thinking that TV is THE main form of entertainment available to them. Hopefully, sports, outdoor activities, games, cards and books will happen instead. I tell the kids that TV makes their brains mushy. (I think they believe me, too).

Charlotte
Old 03-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

A couple of times I've done a "No TV Month". Usually August. Very interesting experiment! The book recommended above was quite an eye-opener....

We also had the rule for kids in school - no TV at all during the week. In bed by 8 pm with up to 30 minutes of reading or listening to stories on tape. By high school it was 9 pm with occasional later hours for projects when needed.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

One way to cut way down on TV watching is use broadcast only. There is almost nothing you would want to watch.

If I am home and have some time I watch 2 1/2 Men reruns (Charlie Sheen) during my dinner. It makes me guffaw. When I have seen so many that I start getting doubles I will be down to football in season and college basketball this time of year. Even there I can't watch many games, I start to feel like the day is blowing by without my participation.

I enjoy reading, and usually have a project going involving some author or historical period. I might read an historical novel, study maps of the area, and then read some non-fiction about the same era. But I usually don't get to it until late evening, so maybe max of 1 hour before bed. Things like mysteries and "page-turners" have never interested me, though from time to time I try a mystery.

I have this forum on whenever I am home. I usually only read items that I think I may want to sound off on.

My other big time-claims are going out with people, going dancing, and walking around town. Yesterday I walked 11 miles, mostly around town. It is just very engaging to my mind and soul. So I guess I am addicted- but so what? I guess I am addicted to breathing too.

A huge amount of my time is dedicated to finding promising investments. Or lately anyway, looking for them but it remains to be seen if I am finding them.

Ha
Old 03-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #27

This is funny my wife loves TV, even if there is nothing on! She will watch endless reruns of I Love Lucy!

Gotta love it!
Old 03-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
I tell the kids that TV makes their brains mushy. (I think they believe me, too).

Charlotte

Best line I heard on that is that "If you watch enough TV you'll get to be as smart as Howdy Doody".

Now for that to make sense you have to know who Howdy Doody was....
Old 03-16-2008, 07:58 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Have you tried hiding / disabling the remote? I would be helpless without it!
Old 03-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Best line I heard on that is that "If you watch enough TV you'll get to be as smart as Howdy Doody".

Its Howdy Doody time..its Howdy Doody time..Now I got that damn song stuck in my head. Thanks Walt34
Old 03-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #31

I really don't see why so many people have a problem with other adults spending there off-time watching TV. I watch 40+ hours per week and if I were retired i'd probably watch twice as much. I can maybe see a problem if the person is overweight and not getting any exercise but i'm 6'6 1/2" and 160lbs so I don't think I need to worry about getting too fat. I have a physically demanding job and need time to recover on my off-time so I can make it through my next shift. It also keeps me from going out and spending large amounts of money on things I don't need. It's a good source of entertainment for me. I'm usually on-line at the same time as well.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
She doesn't think she needs to cut down, but she's clearly (by her own admission) bored.

Dangermouse: We (DW too) did the exercise from How to Retire Happy, Wild & Free where you have to come up with 50 activities of interest. Basically you reflect on
- things you currently like to do,
- things you used to do/enjoy that have fallen by the wayside,
- things you've never done but always been curious about, and
- physical activity/exercise. It's been interesting and I hope it helps us both lead more active lives.
Hi Midpack,

What was on her list? Has she done any of them? If not, why not?

If she went through the motions, but is now not acting on the list, then the exercise didn't do what was intended.

I have been on the side of relationships where I was always the planner, and I know it is sometimes hard, but it IS a good way to get your wife engaged in non-TV activities. Suggest taking up a new hobby together, or volunteering somewhere, or doing things outside now that the weather is starting to get warmer.

And, all of this is good, but really, if she can't take responsibility for entertaining herself (as you said she is bored), there may not be a lot you can do. I can't remember the last time I was bored for an extended period of time...
Old 03-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #33

Kaudrey hit it on the head--you have to be responsible for your own entertainment. I remember marveling that DHs Dad had no hobbies or outside interests of any kind. I can ramble on about 5-6 different things I've got going on at a time, and still look for more stuff!

I wish you luck Midpack, because that would drive me crazy. I know people that talk about TV shows like the characters are people they know. It totally creeps me out. Please help her brainstorm for hobbies and interests, and encourage her in whatever direction gets her off the couch.

I fear that my DH will not have enough hobbies and interests once he retires (and I'm still working) and will just pick up vices instead! Thank god we don't have a TV!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #34

Martha, ironic that your avatar is a television character!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Reading wasn't necessarily that much "better" than TV.
At least one recent study has suggested that watching television increases the chances of obesity [see e.g. BBC NEWS | Health | Child TV hours obesity risk link]. I have never heard that said about reading. Also, reading generally demands more imagination than television (which is purely passive).

However, I do agree that spending lots of time in an essentially solo pursuit like reading would not promote healthy relationships with family and friends.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Is it the interaction you want or do you just want her to give up T.V. because it's a lowly ocupation in your mind ? Would you be as upset if she was addicted to reading historical novels ?
Old 03-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Is it the interaction you want or do you just want her to give up T.V. because it's a lowly ocupation in your mind ? Would you be as upset if she was addicted to reading historical novels ?
One has to be careful when he/she starts engineering a spouse. Sometimes they would rather do it their way-like Ol' Blue Eyes.

And sometimes they even come up with whole new addictions that might make you pine for the good old days with her sitting peacefully on your couch.

Ha
Old 03-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The interaction is secondary, and nothing wrong with a little TV for informaiton or even diversion but watching TV when 'there's nothing good on' is clearly not living life to the fullest (note my signature line at the bottom). Novels would be better, but novels to the exclusion of everything else would be a concern as well. After 28 years of marriage I recognize the perils of 'engineering a spouse' but as her spouse, I have to try but I know the direct approach won't work. Hence the activities approach - we just finished our 'trees' and now we're moving toward some of the activities. Spring and then summer weather can only help, winters here (Chicagoland) are awful. Thanks...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:34 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Isn't he the president?

For the life of me, I couldn't find 40 hours/wk of TV worth watching...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
r the life of me, I couldn't find 40 hours/wk of TV worth watching...

Me either that would be my idea of torture . Leave me in a room alone with non stop TV and I'll confess to anything but I have been known to read constantly .
Old 03-18-2008, 04:36 AM   #40

Aaronc879, the problem I have when I watch too much TV is that it encourages me to replace
reality by stories chosen and drafted by other people at their agenda (this even is true with the news)
real people by artificial characters
active social encounters by passive watching.
I feel more bored and dissatisfied with my life when I watch too much.
On the4 other hand I feel less tired coming home from work when I have something "real" to do in the evening.

Midpack, I am missing DW's point here. Is she happy with her habit? How does she feel about her mother's habit? How does she respond if you express your concerns for the future? Try to make a joint effort with the "No tv month" or other programs.
Do not teach her but help her realize what is in for her when she breaks the habit.
Is she watching so much because there is nothing else going on in your lifes?
Regarding soaps, it is often recommended to reduce the habit by watching only every other sequel. This will reduce the addiction but allows still to follow the story. At the same time one quickly realizes how shallow the whole thing is.
Good luck
Chris (also struggeling from time to time)