Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This dovetails well with the cheery suicide post from the other day. DW and I are childfree and the youngest of our various blood relatives. Furthermore my family is generally longer lived than hers. So guess who wins the lucky die alone prize.

Basically my assumption has always been that I will enjoy the hell out of the next few decades with DW (the whole reason for ER) and then care for her when the time comes... and then hopefully have enough wherewithal to do what's necessary for myself.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Yeah. I'm guessing having magpies and crows picking out your eyeballs isn't as much fun as it sounds!
Or how about state assigned guardians? See other thread.

Man, this is getting depressing.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #23

I agree with the sentiment above that dying alone I don't think would bother me much, but becoming a "ward of the state" due to my mind/body falling apart, would be terrible imo.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
I agree with the sentiment above that dying alone I don't think would bother me much, but becoming a "ward of the state" due to my mind/body falling apart, would be terrible imo.
Got that right. The guardian-elder-abuse thread is scary enough.

But then there are state run homes. My grandfather was in one in the early 80s, and I can say that it was truly hell on earth. As a young man of 18 or 19, I couldn't believe my eyes, and images, sounds and smells are seared in my memory of hell forever. The picture of urine dripping off the nice lady's chair. Or most disturbingly, the zombie-like gentleman beseeching me to get him the hell out of there, grabbing and reaching at me while he cried out.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Or how about state assigned guardians? See other thread.

Man, this is getting depressing.
Well, the title of the thread should have told you that it wouldn't be a wonderful discussion!

But yes, the "other thread" is what gave me pause when I was thinking about posting this or not.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
We don't have kids either. We've gotten close to all our neighbors and have good friends from childhood, not that they would be responsible for us. We're letting our nieces and nephews know they are our beneficiaries, so they might care for us if one of us is alone. I fear that state guardian issue presented in one of the threads. That said, there are many elderly with children who do not keep in contact with relatives or parents. I guess everyone is alone to some extent. Blood relatives are not guaranteed to care about family members in need.

I almost died when I was in high school and strangely my parents and family were the furthest thing from my mind. Like you're a part of a much bigger family or universe. Sorry, I'm getting spiritual here, even though I'm agnostic.
+1 about the blood relatives not guaranteed to care about family members in need. I think seeing how they reacted with previous members who were in need or died is a good indicator on how they'd act when your turn for help.

Don't want to steer this thread off course, but sounds like you had a NDE. Interested about the bigger family or universe part. I don't mind you sharing if you wish to. If not, totally understood too.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
Not exactly dying, but I'm reminded of family members and friends who have faced some serious health issue and have had family that were advocates for them as they faced treatment related issues, helping to navigate the system and to secure the kind of treatment that was required.

More than once I've commented about how difficult this must be when there is no one to go to bat for you.

I think that securing suitable LTC when needed is a similar issue. What happens if there is no "advocate"?

I had a close friend who drew a bad hand from the deck of life and had a terminal illness in his 40's. He was in and out of treatments and hospital facilities for the last two years of his life. He happened to be a senior executive at a hospital. His personal relationships with the heads of the hospital departments helped navigate his treatment in a way that would have been impossible for you or me. Yet, even with his top-notch, head-of-the-line treatments he suffered terribly, tortured actually, the last six months of his life. A few weeks before he died, while in the hospital, he asked me to put the pillow over his head and suffocate him. He begged me to do it telling me it was humane and would be easy for me since he had no strength left. That was arguably the worst moment in my life. I didn't do it and he died soon after from his disease. I still have occasional nightmares about that day and my friend's suffering.
pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo View Post
he asked me to put the pillow over his head and suffocate him. He begged me to do it telling me it was humane and would be easy for me since he had no strength left. That was arguably the worst moment in my life. I didn't do it and he died soon after from his disease. I still have occasional nightmares about that day and my friend's suffering.
The ultimate lose-lose...a horrible situation for both of you to be in. I hope I never have to face something like that.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #29

This is not a fun topic but some form of exit awaits all of us. I'd like to see physician-assisted suicide made legal in more states. Boomers are running out of time for that to happen.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

A good friend of mine survived stage 4 ovarian cancer 7 times and then got dementia froma ll the chemo. Then her DH got terminal cancer. She had no kids and his kids did not live in town. For a year we helped them stay together in their home, drove them to all appointments, etc. I had him sign papers to appoint me as guardian because being a ward of the state is terrible. As a previous SW I knew this. Eventually we can't do it anymore and his son takes him in to die with hospice care and I put her in a home. All of her friends had long before abandoned her during some of the cancer treatments. I was the only friend she had left except one out of town that called her once in a while. I had to put her in a facility an hour drive from me because she only had so much $ and that would not pay for anything decent in this area. We went every week for a year and then tapered off to every few weeks as she did not know us anymore and it took most of the day. the home called when they thought she was dying and we rushed up there. She really suffered that last year and a half of her life between the dementia and cancer coming back.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
A good friend of mine survived stage 4 ovarian cancer 7 times and then got dementia froma ll the chemo. Then her DH got terminal cancer. She had no kids and his kids did not live in town. For a year we helped them stay together in their home, drove them to all appointments, etc. I had him sign papers to appoint me as guardian because being a ward of the state is terrible. As a previous SW I knew this. Eventually we can't do it anymore and his son takes him in to die with hospice care and I put her in a home. All of her friends had long before abandoned her during some of the cancer treatments. I was the only friend she had left except one out of town that called her once in a while. I had to put her in a facility an hour drive from me because she only had so much $ and that would not pay for anything decent in this area. We went every week for a year and then tapered off to every few weeks as she did not know us anymore and it took most of the day. the home called when they thought she was dying and we rushed up there. She really suffered that last year and a half of her life between the dementia and cancer coming back.
Anyone who knows me will take me out back and shoot me. Or take me to our Veterinarian friend and dose me with a sweet goodbye shot. What you just described sounds like hell on earth. I would not allow our dogs to live a life like that. Why should we?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
One of the reasons I'm getting re-married is to not die alone. Mondo depressing.
Interesting perspective- one of the reasons I'm not interested in re-marrying is that I don't want to watch someone I love get sick and die again.

I was profoundly grateful that my early retirement, while prompted by toxic politics, meant that DH and I had 3 years together after that- 2+ years in which we got in a lot of good travel, and the last 6 months with me being able to focus on getting him through his final illness. I have to admit, that frequently a whiny voice would ask. "Who's going to do this for ME?" There was a lot to do: keeping track of his prescriptions, making sure he took them as scheduled, going out and getting food if he suddenly decided something sounded good to his greatly-diminished appetite, picking him up when he fell, changing the bandages daily on some lesions on his back...you can hire people to do most of that (and I will if necessary) but it's not the same. If I remarry, there's no guarantee that I'll be on the receiving end of all this instead of the giving end.

I'm fortunate that I believe DS and DDIL would be around and would take care of me, but still plan to get whatever help is necessary so that I don't become a burden.

As for being alone at the actual moment of death: not a concern. I just hope they find my body before it gets too ripe.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

My Mom took care of my Dad for 14 long years. At 73 he died and there was no way she would ever have another man in her life. She was so done with all the responsibility. She was very attractive and the old men at the senior center were after her too which was funny.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #34

"Strong social relationships boost a person’s chances of staying alive by 50 percent, according to a comprehensive 2010 review of 148 studies that followed 309,000 people for an average of 7.5 years. That’s about the same improvement to mortality as the one that comes from quitting smoking."

Well then, my plan is to not smoke & have tons of friends...then I'll live forever (50% + 50% = 100%).

In all seriousness, having a good death (accompanied or alone) is what I'm most concerned about. To me, that means doing as much as possible in advance to control the conditions of death; DNR, Advance Medical Directive with POA, living in a state where assisted dying is legal (there are six of them + DC; Oregon, Washington, Vermont, California, Montana, Colorado and Washington DC). If you don't live in one of these locations, and cannot move there to qualify, traveling to Switzerland (or a country with similar 'aid in dying' laws & services) is also an option.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

She's 10 years my junior -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #36
Gone but not forgotten

A very casual acquaintance of ours disappeared on Set.8. He had a girlfriend for several years but they did not live together . He has medium dementia and so does she . It was finally discovered that he had a stroke and was in a local hospital . The girlfriend goes to visit him but they do not let her in since it is family only .The only family he has is a daughter whom he has not seen in over 20 years and a angry ex wife .He has now no longer in the hospital but no one can locate were he is . Daughter & ex wife will not answer any attempts to locate him and he had no power of attorney for health care or finances .Bizarre but true .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
A very casual acquaintance of ours disappeared on Set.8. He had a girlfriend for several years but they did not live together . He has medium dementia and so does she . It was finally discovered that he had a stroke and was in a local hospital . The girlfriend goes to visit him but they do not let her in since it is family only .The only family he has is a daughter whom he has not seen in over 20 years and a angry ex wife .He has now no longer in the hospital but no one can locate were he is . Daughter & ex wife will not answer any attempts to locate him and he had no power of attorney for health care or finances .Bizarre but true .
Can't he be reported as missing, the dementia issue should make that possible, and the Police can certainly ask the hospital (if not done already), when and where was he discharged ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #38

After watching dementia and geriatric illnesses ravage my dad for several years up to his death, I developed a swift but detailed exit plan. Time will tell if I need it, and, if I can "execute" it.

But, like Ike said, "Plans are useless. Planning is essential."
Old 10-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

There are, no surprise, professional patient advocates and geriatric care managers who are paid to navigate the health-care and legal systems for lonely old people with money. There is one who works with our estate attorney's office. I am not sure how different this is from the "guardians," since the person gets paid from the old person's estate.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Can't he be reported as missing, the dementia issue should make that possible, and the Police can certainly ask the hospital (if not done already), when and where was he discharged ?
This story has a happy ending .Someone was finally able to contact the daughter . She stepped up to the plate which I give her tons of credit for . He is in a Special Care nursing home.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote