Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Interesting. I haven't paid much attention to cell tower configuration other than the one our phones connect to a couple of miles from the house. It has a large generator and propane fuel tank, and I assumed that was the standard configuration. If that isn't the case, I see the problem. But I wonder how reliable either cell or land lines would be after a severe storm or earthquake. Once those copper wires break, it is very labor intensive to splice them back together.
I was going by reports of what happened after the big northeast power failure in 2003. Perhaps some of those issues have been fixed.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
BTW, whenever I first saw this thread title my initial thought was guillotines, hanging, electrocution, drug overdose...
Glad I'm not the only weird one.
My first thought was tie-dyed t-shirts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dye.jpg (12.5 KB, 158 views)

Old 01-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

I think I'm a lady. Everyone says I act so much like one

I wouldn't be without 2 ovens - baking pizza in one, cookies in the other; roasting beef in one, potatoes in the other....A microwave doesn't give the same results, especially with baked goods, and the countertop oven - while useful for quick snacks - can't handle volume orders.

The double-oven is still expected in homes in our area.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Besides that, does anybody actually use a built-in conventional oven any more, other than ladies baking mountains of cookies and pies? With all the great countertop devices (microwaves, electric grills, electric woks, toaster ovens, and more) I just don't think the built-in conventional ovens can compete...
Old 01-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
I was going by reports of what happened after the big northeast power failure in 2003. Perhaps some of those issues have been fixed.
Not sure they were fixed, but the FCC did take action in 2007 to require back-up power: FCC ruling requiring backup power for cell towers

EDIT: Here's an article on how the above ruling improved the availability of cell service after Hurricane Sandy:In Sandy’s wake, here’s why millions of Americans have cell service but no power – Quartz

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You can recharge from the car, right?
I guess this is right. Alternately I think (?) there are devices one can buy that provide emergency charging. Or maybe a charged 2nd phone battery? As you may have noticed, my answers are kind of tentative.

Maybe I could partly justify the smartphone cost (+ data plan) if I ditch the landline? We have cordless phones in 4 places in the house. It would be a real change to carry a smartphone from room to room and there would be no house phone as DW would have her own number.

Present cost per month is about $56 for landline and 2 Tracphones. I'm pretty sure our costs would rise as I'd want a decent data plan but don't need a lot of talk minutes.

I have not really thought this through. Maybe I should start a new thread on this? Might title it: Rethinking the phone situation
Old 01-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Phone is interesting. So if I have a cell phone, it never hits a physical line(ever)? Or the opposite? Just curious.

MRG
Old 01-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Phone is interesting. So if I have a cell phone, it never hits a physical line(ever)? Or the opposite? Just curious.

MRG
It hits wired internet connection from the cell tower to whereever the cell phone companies switch is. They don't use analog phone lines. Its basically a T3 or above digital connection back to a routing service. Then the voice is split off and switched as needed.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
BTW, whenever I first saw this thread title my initial thought was guillotines, hanging, electrocution, drug overdose...
No, that would be "Killer devices" thread, not "Dying".

Speaking of guillotines, does anyone know the last time the guillotine was used?

Think about it for 10 seconds, then search the Web. The answer would surprise you.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
No, that would be "Killer devices" thread, not "Dying".
Depends on whether you were the "doer" or the "doee".

Old 01-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

About 2 yrs ago I stopped wearing a wristwatch because I always have an iPhone with me. I check the time on the phone. BTW, I hardly ever talk on the phone. The iPhone is basically a mobile pocket computer. I split my communication between some email, FB messages, and texting.

When I retired I got rid of my desktop PC and bought a 13" MacBook Air.

I'm a foodie. I do a fair amount of cooking so the oven get a decent amount of use.

I had a Pioneer GPS, CD player, iPod player installed into my car. My entire music collection is on the 60 GB iPod. Sometime I use the Waze app for navigation from my iPhone because it has real-time traffic info.

I stopped buying CD's many years ago. I still have a stereo system in the living room but I plug my iPhone or iPod into it to play music. I'm thinking about getting some wireless speakers to expand the music throughout the house and outside.

I would like to get rid of the landline but my wife wants to keep it for communication during our rare power outages.

My wife got her father a Kindle. I think she is intrigued by it. She may be heading for a purchase in the future. Othewise we still read paper books. I get most of my news off the internet including digital subscriptions to the local paper and the NY Times.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

So...should I stay with Betamax or make the switch to VHS?
Old 01-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I think I'm a lady. Everyone says I act so much like one
I just recalled this song from the 70s.

I looked up Tom Jones, and found that he's still alive and at 73 years of age. Hmm... I thought he would be older than that.

PS. And I just learned that the song was written by Paul Anka. Anka wrote many songs that became associated with other singers who recorded them, Sinatra included.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

I've been through two earthquakes and several big storms that have knocked out power for days. The old POTS phone line is the only thing that worked all the time.

Having said that I no longer have POTS. $360 a year was just to expensive.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I've been through two earthquakes and several big storms that have knocked out power for days. The old POTS phone line is the only thing that worked all the time.

Having said that I no longer have POTS. $360 a year was just to expensive.
Did your cell phones go down too during extended outages?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Did your cell phones go down too during extended outages?
The towers went down making it difficult to make calls for many people. I had my neighbors using my land line to call relatives and friends.

I believe the newer towers have more backup power.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The towers went down making it difficult to make calls for many people. I had my neighbors using my land line to call relatives and friends.

I believe the newer towers have more backup power.
Were the earthquakes and storms post 2007? I poster earlier in the thread that the FCC required cell tower power backup as a result of problems experienced with Katrina.

Quote:
Not sure they were fixed, but the FCC did take action in 2007 to require back-up power: FCC ruling requiring backup power for cell towers

EDIT: Here's an article on how the above ruling improved the availability of cell service after Hurricane Sandy:In Sandy’s wake, here’s why millions of Americans have cell service but no power – Quartz

Old 01-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Were the erthquakes and storms post 2007? I poster earlier in the thread that the FCC required cell tower power backup as a result of problems experienced with Katrina.
Yes.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Were the earthquakes and storms post 2007? I poster earlier in the thread that the FCC required cell tower power backup as a result of problems experienced with Katrina.
I was in Alabama during the big tornado outbreak of 2011 and yes, cell phones went down for 3-4 days while the landline kept working just fine.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #79

Sounds to me like land lines are a better bet in a disaster than cell phones. I wouldn't think that would be the case when I see all those above ground poles and wires, but it is difficult to argue with real-world experience.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #80

Because part of my career has been designing IT infrastructures for availability, I tend to shy away from the "putting all the eggs in one basket" approach for technology. Sure, a single smartphone for calls, pictures, web, GPS, etc is great, but lose that one device (or have it stolen) and you've lost multiple functions. So at the moment I'll keep my GPS in the car, use a point and shoot camera for events and vacations, and use my laptop and computer (tough to write a lot of code or design things on a tablet), and keep my landline as backup for my cell phone. Sure it costs money but it is within my budget, and I like having the flexibility and availability.