Dylan turning 70 - streaming music today

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The Current from Minnesota Public Radio

"Bob Dylan turns 70 on Tuesday, and The Current and MPR News have lined up some great Dylan programming to celebrate. On Sunday, May 22, Bill DeVille will host a six hour — yes, six hours — Dylan tribute as we play 70 Dylan songs in a row, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., right here on 89.3 The Current".

time for a bob dylan cover thread hijack. i'll start it off..

The Current from Minnesota Public Radio

"Bob Dylan turns 70 on Tuesday, and The Current and MPR News have lined up some great Dylan programming to celebrate. On Sunday, May 22, Bill DeVille will host a six hour — yes, six hours — Dylan tribute as we play 70 Dylan songs in a row, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., right here on 89.3 The Current".

time for a 'obscure bob dylan covers' thread hijack. i'll start it off..

YouTube - ‪Bill Frisell~Master's Of War‬‏

I wandered into a NYC coffeehouse sort of place about 1963 and listened to Bob Dylan bragging on the great guitar he'd just found in a pawn shop. He sang some songs, and my reaction at the time was that someone with such an awful voice really should find something better to do with his life. Not so perspicacious, as it turned out. Congratulations to him on his 70th.

I wandered into a NYC coffeehouse sort of place about 1963 and listened to Bob Dylan bragging on the great guitar he'd just found in a pawn shop. He sang some songs, and my reaction at the time was that someone with such an awful voice really should find something better to do with his life. Not so perspicacious, as it turned out. Congratulations to him on his 70th.

Well you weren't wrong about his voice. But he was/is a decent guitar player, and truly one of the best song writers in the last 50 years.

Him being 70 makes me feel old.

No question he was a great songwriter, but I much preferred the Byrds' versions of his songs.

Was listening to some rapper the other day and trying to convince myself that he was of the same weight as Dylan - all message and poetry, no voice. Didn't work for me, but maybe there are similarities. Why someone is popular is a mystery to me. Kris Kristofferson - singer? Really?

Am reminded of some old scifi story about popular idol-types. They had - something - that the people fed off of and in return were given something by them. Sort of a vampire/symbiote relationship. The artist/idols were not depicted as being at all attractive in normal ways.

Dylan and his peers are generally a bit older than me, but I was a child of the 60's, now 61 years young. Sometimes I wonder how those "kids" had the courage to do what they did. Their parents, like my parents, were part of the "greatest generation" and expected their kids to work hard, get an education, get married, etc. As a father, I can't imagine what my reaction would be if I found out my kid had dropped out of college, was doing mind altering drugs and having sex indiscriminately.

So what did Dylan's dad, or Janis Joplin's dad or Moma Cass (she went to Swarthmore, didn't she?)

But Dylan was the best lyric writer in my life time.

Back
Top Bottom