Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Soo I had NO idea when I joined ... then I looked under my avatar (very clever !)

I really enjoyed "sparring" with some of the BS artists. Particularly regarding real estate as an investment. No emotion, no bullying. But let's get the FACTS right so someone doesn't make a life changing MISTAKE.

Funny thing (to me) the BS artists are gone.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #42

I joined 9 years ago. I had recently found out that I could retire at 55 with a pension, not 58 like I thought. WOW, that was only 5 years away, I needed to get down to some serious planning, so I did some Googling and found this forum. I had never joined any online forum before so I was very much new to this. It didn't take me long to appreciate the folks and the advice they gave, and I learned a lot and the folks here, present and past, definitely made a big difference to how I prepared for ER, and not just from a financial standpoint.

After joining ER.org I did look at other forums and soon appreciated how well run this site was, and how well behaved were the members. The month before I retired I was invited to join the Moderator Team and it has been a privilege to be able to give back to a site that has become so important to me. I have also had the chance to meet several members in person which has been an added, enriching, bonus.

DW and I do an awful lot of traveling since we have been retired so I go "missing" at times for long periods, but I always come back.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #43

I joined in March of 2009, the absolute bottom of the great recession. The forum helped me hang in there and not panic which got me over the hump to FI. I also signed up with the Bogleheads, however while I find it informative, I see no compelling reason to post there.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I still feel like a noob around here sometimes, but this has always been a great forum. I didn't realize FUEGO's blog as his for a little while, but it was really cool to connect the dots on that one. And I must agree, the quality of the posts and regulars here crushes almost all other forums. The maturity and non-troll nature of this place is truly outstanding. As the local Navy officer with an eye on not working once the 20 year mark hits, I sometimes feel like Nords's little brother.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:09 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I joined less than a year ago and am still more of a reader than a poster. Still a true newbie. I found this site while I was looking for a retirement calculator and stumbled upon a FireCalc thread. It's become the forum I read the most.

I also appreciate the work of the moderators to control the forum and keep the politics out. They do an awesome job.

I've picked up a few tips already and look forward to continue learning. I also hope that I'll read enough RE stories to finally convince myself to climb out of the OMY trap.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #46

I love the advice I can find here on all kinda of subjects, not limited to ER.

And the chance to get to meet some of you very cool folks in person! I've been lucky to get to meet quite a few and it has always been a pleasure.

This is a nice home for me to find like-minded people, and I've been very grateful for the support in good and bad times from many of you.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:43 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I discovered this board last year, about the time I finally came to terms with the fact that we really did appear to have enough in our portfolio to see us through our remaining years. At that point I hung up my 'frugality' mindset and started looking for someplace to, well, just rejoice in being FIRE'd. I think I even said as much in my first post here.

It's interesting to me that there are tons of forums and blogs on how to achieve FI, but virtually zero that discuss what to do once you arrive. And yet that's the funnest part! So finding others to party with here at E-R.org was a nice day indeed.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #48

I am a relative newbie, but do feel like an accepted member. I have learned a lot from the board, and hopefully have contributed back to help others. I got real interested when my job had major change and had to make some significant life and career changes. found the forum here and saw the value for myself. I believe in giving back, so now tend to be more answers and less questions.

I do appreciate the level of maturity and knoweldge that is available here. I hang out on several forums, but the others are related to my hobbies. This is my primary financial and life planning resource. I think that says a lot about the content here. Or it says we all think alike!

It sure would be a different world if more people would follow the general advice of members here on E-R.org

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It just occurred to me that another thing that sets this forum apart is the consistently good grammar and spelling. I know that we have a number of members whose first language is not English, but the posts don't show it. Careful editing before posting? Looking up questionable words or phrases? I don't know, but the effect is wonderful!

OK, it's a very small point, but it's very much appreciated.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
It just occurred to me that another thing that sets this forum apart is the consistently good grammar and spelling.
Probably since most are detail-oriented and plan ahead, a requirement to FIRE. Admittedly a spell checker helps.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know that we have a number of members whose first language is not English, but the posts don't show it...
I hope I fall into that group.

And that is to be expected if a guy has lived here for almost 4 decades, and spent several years in college here, no?
Old 05-02-2014, 12:35 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I joined in April 2007. I was in a pretty bad place emotionally, having just resigned from a job that had melted down over the past year (was my dream job, turned into hell). I was pretty sure I wasn't in a position to RE at that point, but really appreciated the perspective people showed. I've since moved on to another job that was great for awhile, but got some major curveballs thrown at me that I've just been trying to keep in play for the last 11 months. Just learned what the longer term forecast is and I'm not sure what to think/do about it. Still mulling things over, figuring out how I feel/what I want to do. We would be able to FIRE if we sold our apartment and left Beijing, but DH is not ready to take that step yet.

I have been active in several forums over the years -- started way back in the late '90s with the frugal living forums at ivillage and armchair millionaire (where I was a moderator for a short period), then focused mainly on the Simple Living Network forums (where I was a moderator for several years, resigning last year), then this one and now also over at MMM. The forum format is something I like because you can get to know people quite well over time. I have several friends through forums that I have never met in person.

I like the diversity of this community and the wealth of experience that comes with it.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #53

I joined in 2005? I would have thought it was earlier. I know I was a lurker while w*rking in 2003. I like the knowledge/experience of the posters. No matter what your problem is, somebody here has seen it and (probably) solved it. There was a time when I read every post, but I now I disregard those I deem non-interesting. But hey, it's a good forum. Speaking of meeting members, I have only met one, down in South Texas. There was a meetup a few years ago in the Hill Country, and somebody posted a photo of the backs (or maybe their faces were covered by menus) of those present. Unfortunately I missed it.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It just occurred to me that another thing that sets this forum apart is the consistently good grammar and spelling. I know that we have a number of members whose first language is not English, but the posts don't show it. Careful editing before posting? Looking up questionable words or phrases? I don't know, but the effect is wonderful!

I am constantly amazed at people who claim they don't need to use punctuation.

Examples:

A woman without her man is nothing

OR

A woman, without her, man is nothing.

Two very different meanings with the exact same words in the exact same order.

If I were a lawyer looking for future business I would encourage the abandonment of punctuation. I would then see very many billable hours in my future.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

Examples:

OR

A woman, with her, man is nothing.
I know there's a snarky comment about consistent spelling in me somewhere, but I'm sitting here still waiting for the first cup of coffee of the morning
Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I find this a very cordial group over all. And I appreciate the good work of the moderators keeping it that way, even if it means some of my posts go into the dust bin from time to time.

I find that I have identified several contributors whose ideas and values seem close to mine. I pay a bit more attention to their posts. Others, I find myself in disagreement with rather often, but they obviously think, so I pay attention to them also. IMHO, if we ever got together over a cup of coffee I think we would find our areas of agreement greatly out number our areas of disagreement.

In actually there are very few people here who I don't pay attention to now that I think of it.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

Examples:

OR

A woman, with her, man is nothing.

Two very different meanings with the exact same words in the exact same order.

If I were a lawyer looking for future business I would encourage the abandonment of punctuation. I would then see very many billable hours in my future.
I don't understand, a woman with Herman or without Herman is nothing?
And who is Herman?

Edit---
Oh, is it Pee-wee?
Old 05-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I know there's a snarky comment about consistent spelling in me somewhere, but I'm sitting here still waiting for the first cup of coffee of the morning
Uh Oh!! My bad. I am also working on my first cup of coffee.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #59

Quote:

Fer all intensive purposes, it's prolly do two a more ejucated groop of peeple.
(actual spellings I've seen on other forums)

Old 05-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #60

Former engineers trying to reinvent themselves as english teachers.

I'm dyslexic and don't use spell check, so I should get a pass