Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Fer all intensive purposes, it's prolly do two a more ejucated groop of peeple.
(actual spellings I've seen on other forums)

Not wanting to derail the main subject of the thread, and I know this is a subject that has been beaten to death, but I came across another friend yesterday who is lucid and intelligent yet despite all that, used the following phrase in a written sentence,

"I would of done that."

This is like nails on a chalkboard to me, but I know there are many other things that are far more worthy of my attention.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #62

Quote:
... I came across another friend yesterday who is lucid and intelligent yet despite all that, used the following phrase in a written sentence,

"I would of done that."

This is like nails on a chalkboard to me, but I know there are many other things that are far more worthy of my attention.
Things like this are basically the reason I do not carry a gun. I'm sure I'd be forced to use it

Old 05-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Words is hard
Old 05-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Words is hard
No they isn't.

Grammar police raid! Run!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
"I would of done that."

Supposably...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The concept of critical mass in reference to ER and portfolios has been discussed a number of times, most recently in this thread started by nash031. Obviously from that thread, once you've strayed from the strict scientific definition of critical mass, you're free to define it however you want.
Heh. I made a pretty good paycheck out of the original definition.

Quote:
My questions for you are -
How long have you been here, and how does E-R.org fit into your life? Is it a place you come to occasionally to see the latest chat on financial issues, or does it mean more to you than that? How long was it before this place felt like Cheers - or maybe you're not there yet? Perhaps you think we're just a bunch of weird old fuddy-duddies who do that really bizarre thing called saving money, and we merely represent a passing curiosity to you?
I came here from Greaney's RetireEarlyHomepage.com in 2002 (about six months after I ER'd) and lurked the comments about Greaney's articles. Back then you could read E-R.org's daily posts in about 10 minutes. Sometimes zero minutes.

I'm not sure when I put up my first post here-- later on one of the early trolls induced a frenzied spate of post deletion as we tried to remove our personal info from his clutches. I think my first post was in early 2004, musing that the ER life seemed too good to be true and wondering whether I was missing something. The responses were reassuring, although ol' Ted flounced out of here shortly after I started posting. He wanted to try to do something more useful with his life, which convinced me even more firmly that I'd made the right choice.

In retrospect, this was a pretty quiet little place for its first few years. Dory actually used to log in on his cell phone (after he tied up his boat for the day) to see how everyone was doing. Eventually Dory needed moderators, though, and after that this mellow neighborhood bar started turning into Studio 54... or maybe Gilley's is a better metaphor. Our first crew of moderators still keeps in touch at our own quiet little bar in a secure undisclosed location.

I liked the way that Bob Clyatt used the forums to help write "Work Less, Live More", and I think we did a pretty good job on "The Military Guide" too. After I sold the manuscript and started blogging, I discovered plenty of other outlets for my writing. These days I'm finding most of my readers (and fellow bloggers) at MrMoneyMustache.com, and I just stop by here weekly for a keyword search or to respond to a subscribed thread. I'm mostly capping off old threads and starting my new ones elsewhere.

In a couple weeks I'll cap off one of my older threads. For now let's just say that LOL! made a particularly prescient comment nearly seven years ago, backed up by a few other vehemently-opinionated posters, and the project that they inspired is finally coming to fruition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
As the local Navy officer with an eye on not working once the 20 year mark hits, I sometimes feel like Nords's little brother.
Thanks-- it's the biggest family I've ever seen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Stumbled upon it from a Naval officer's forum where someone recommended Nords' book for military retirees.
Could you let me know which forum that is? I'm seeking beta readers for my next book (just as soon as I have something worth beta reading) and I want to spread the net a little wider this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Forever. I was one of the first three dozen to register on the forum when it came online in June of 2002. The latest stats show only six of those first 36 are still active on the forum.
Not many survivors among the first 65, either. Buncha short-timers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
I joined in 2005? I would have thought it was earlier. I know I was a lurker while w*rking in 2003. I like the knowledge/experience of the posters. No matter what your problem is, somebody here has seen it and (probably) solved it. There was a time when I read every post, but I now I disregard those I deem non-interesting. But hey, it's a good forum. Speaking of meeting members, I have only met one, down in South Texas. There was a meetup a few years ago in the Hill Country, and somebody posted a photo of the backs (or maybe their faces were covered by menus) of those present. Unfortunately I missed it.
Ah, yes: the photo of SC, Leslie, and REWahoo! I still have that t-shirt, too.

I also have the unedited images on my hard drive. If you want to see the photo without the menus, the bidding starts at $10,000. All proceeds will be donated to Wounded Warrior Project and Fisher House, but you're probably bidding against REWahoo!...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ER lunch with REWahoo, Leslie, SC, Nords.jpg (92.4 KB, 32 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:42 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

What I hate is when I come across a post of my own, and it is full of words with missing letters or worse.

I try to write reasonably good English, but to do so takes good editing because I miss a lot of errors as I move along.

Ha
Old 05-04-2014, 05:22 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What I hate is when I come across a post of my own, and it is full of words with missing letters or worse.

I try to write reasonably good English, but to do so takes good editing because I miss a lot of errors as I move along.

Ha
Well if it is any consolation Ha, I never notice that about your post. Lots of humor, and pithy statements, sprinkled with wisdom. Occasionally I do detect a wee bit of sarcasm though .

All I know is I am the world's worse proofreader of my own posts. It really is embarrassing at times, because my command of the English language isn't great but it isn't as bad as I come across on many of my posts.

What is especially awful is that have a horrible habit of leaving out the word NOT which changes the meaning of good portion of my posts.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Occasionally I do detect a wee bit of sarcasm though .
I plead nolo contendere.

Ha
Old 05-10-2014, 12:56 AM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

I come here for the punctuation lessons.

Love this forum.

Appreciate the "climate" of the forum, so to speak (thank you Moderators!) Yes, the decorum - the often elegant expression of ideas, strategies, encouragement. And I find myself laughing out loud on a regular basis.

I remember being both depressed and excited upon joining, only because then and now I feel like I'm the student who is behind, but who is trying to catch up. Or like one of the grade schoolers who is eavesdropping on the conversations of the bigger, cooler kids. It was difficult to keep reading sometimes, because of this dawning reality.

At the same time, it inspired me to both dream and act concerning FI. Sometimes it was big stuff like starting a Solo 401-K. Sometimes it was littler stuff, like still using the awful Maytag washer and dryer (built before they were bought by Whirlpool) when I really want to throw them out and start over. (We keep using them OMY...!!!!!)

I appreciate learning, and being able to ask questions, and having genuinely nice people offer answers.

Arriving late to the party doesn't mean you missed all the fun.

Kindest regards.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Posts #54 and #57-65 display why I ended up here in the first place!

Joined the week I ER'd, after 34 years of reading and correcting writing like #54 and #57-65.

This place has been a profound RELIEF! but I never considered the level of writing found here.........only the fact that the forum provided calm waters, no fingernails-on-the-chalkboard language.

Many thanks to everyone who helps this happen on ER.org!

Old 05-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I have been dropping by this place for a while now (see join date to the left). Edit~just noticed that it has now been 10 years!

Long ago, after reading a few posts, I ran across a mention of LBYM. What the heck is this code they are using? As I read on, the true meaning of LBYM came into view and I realized that I had been using LBYM all of my life without naming it. So had hundreds (now thousands) of other E-R folks.

This place is always a pleasure to visit.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #73

I joined in July of 2007, having found ER.org while looking for information on early retirement and how to generate income from investments. I was certain, at the time, that I'd be leaving my career behind mid-2009, when my DD graduated from HS and moved back to the States. My boss, the global CEO of megacorp, convinced me that the world would stop turning if I left when I expected (the golden handcuffs he offered were quite influential, given the market situation).

During the ensuing years until my 12/2012 departure, ER.org was often my "go-to" place for comfort, and a reminder of what was waiting for me beyond the rainbow.

Since I retired, I've gone on hiatus a few times as I've gotten busy with the business of being retired. I pop in now and then to see what I've missed, and once in a while I post. When a couple of major projects I'm handling around the house are finished, I'll probably be a little more visible around the forum, but for now, my online time us pretty limited.

Overall, ER.org has given me a couple of nice friendships, lots of knowledge, and the confidence to pull the plug when it was time.

R