Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hey...it's great to hear from you unclemick!....
Thanks. No reason - just sort of got busy doing nothing in particular for a while and drifted away from posting.

heh heh heh - taking a break from remodeling, visiting, etc., etc. and checking back into the forum. .
__________________

__________________
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hey...it's great to hear from you unclemick!....
+1, I was thinking about you the other day and hoping that all was well with you!
__________________

__________________
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,899
after all...being a champion cheap %(!#^(&$!! takes lots of time and earnestly applied effort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Thanks. No reason - just sort of got busy doing nothing in particular for a while and drifted away from posting.

heh heh heh - taking a break from remodeling, visiting, etc., etc. and checking back into the forum. .
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
obgyn65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: midwestern city
Posts: 4,061
Those of us who are (relatively) new here have heard a lot of about you, UncleMick . Welcome back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Thanks. No reason - just sort of got busy doing nothing in particular for a while and drifted away from posting.

heh heh heh - taking a break from remodeling, visiting, etc., etc. and checking back into the forum. .
__________________
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:29 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 230
"Whatnot"
__________________
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
steelyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Triangle
Posts: 3,218
I will add the use of the word "folks" to this list. It makes us all sound like we are the Beverly Hillbillies.

Could be an Obama effect (N.B. I approve of him).
__________________
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,978
No big deal, but:
orientated, when oriented will do
preventative, when preventive will do
__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #28
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,155
Things that annoy me:

The improper use of "beg the question" to mean "raise the question".

The improper use of "loathe" when "loath" is needed.

The use of "grow" as a transitive verb, as in "grow the economy".

The use of "at this point in time" or "at this juncture" instead of "now".
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
It seems that "To be honest" is becoming very common.
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.
toofrugalformycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 731
All of the above, plus
Refudiate
Obamacare
Lamestream media
man up
I could care less (s/b I could not)
__________________
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
"selfish"
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,193
It's finally seems to be dying out, but I really got tired of the term "disenfranchised", especially since it was rarely used correctly.

"pundits" is another one I hate.

"if you will"--what if I won't?
__________________
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Things that annoy me:

The improper use of "beg the question" to mean "raise the question".

The improper use of "loathe" when "loath" is needed.

The use of "grow" as a transitive verb, as in "grow the economy".

The use of "at this point in time" or "at this juncture" instead of "now".
You must be annoyed a lot because, from what I've seen, the errors you describe are more subtle than the ones I'm seeing all the time:

"I need some advise."

"I am having trouble peddling my bicycle"

"The breaks on my car aren't working"

"The reason I do that is because it's a good idea."

"Your not doing it right"

"Me and Bob are going fishing"

One of the headlines on our local paper is:

"Teachers Slashed" instead of "Teachers Jobs Slashed."

Sign at store: "Hel-lo" (no reason for the hypen.

Sign for Cafe: "CAEE"

Sign at trailer park: "WINTER PARK" with the "N" backwards.

"Pundents (instead of pundits)"

"Spring is literally around the corner"
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.
HawkeyeNFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside the Beltway
Posts: 573
"In order to" is almost always unnecessary. Just say "to."

"Save up to 15% or more." Enough said.

As a Navy guy, I hate when reporters say "chopper." It's a "helo," dammit!

And thank God I haven't heard the term "wall of water" in any reporting about Japan. Seems like every time there's a flood, the reporter talks about a "ten foot wall of water." Walls generally don't move, and water rises in a flood. A stack of ice cubes could be a wall of water, and the tsunami is close, but I'm glad that term seems to have dropped out of favor.
__________________
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:11 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You must be annoyed a lot because, from what I've seen, the errors you describe are more subtle than the ones I'm seeing all the time:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

"The reason I do that is because it's a good idea."
I am struggling to understand what is wrong with this one, but I think I may be just too tolerant. American English is made up on the fly.
Is it OK to say: "I do that because it is the correct thing to do?"

Is the problem with your original example that one cannot exactly "do" an idea, so the sentence is nonsensical- even though almost anyone would know what is meant?

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.
HawkeyeNFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside the Beltway
Posts: 573
I forgot one simple word: LIKE
__________________
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 48
In the category "No, it does not make you sound more intelligent just because there are more syllables" I nominate "Utilize".
__________________
Aruba50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
Quote:
"The reason I do that is because it's a good idea."

I am struggling to understand what is wrong with this one, but I think I may be just too tolerant.


Right, it's subtle and difficult to explain, yet it's a clearcut logical error. Most people don't get it, and I agree it's not worth thinking about, but it just as much an error as "I didn't eat nothing all day."

When you say "The reason I go to school is because I want to learn" you are not answering the question "why do you go to school?" but "Why is the reason you go to school?" which doesn't make sense. You want to say

"I go to school because I want to learn."

or

"The reason I go to school is that I want to learn."

or

...
because means “for the reason that” and therefore one would be saying, “The reason he failed is for the reason that . . . .” which is as redundant as saying “The because is because.”
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Right, it's subtle and difficult to explain, yet it's a clearcut logical error. Most people don't get it, and I agree it's not worth thinking about, but it just as much an error as "I didn't eat nothing all day."

When you say "The reason I go to school is because I want to learn" you are not answering the question "why do you go to school?" but "Why is the reason you go to school?" which doesn't make sense. You want to say

"I go to school because I want to learn."

or

"The reason I go to school is that I want to learn."

or

...because means “for the reason that” and therefore one would be saying, “The reason he failed is for the reason that . . . .” which is as redundant as saying “The because is because.”
Thank you. I appreciate this sort of grammar schooling.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,792
Eh, most kids go to school 'cause they hafta. Adults sometimes go 'cause they wanna.
__________________

__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
50 office-speak phrases you love to hate Onward Other topics 56 11-10-2010 03:55 PM
DRINKERs (Dual Retirement Income No-Kids Early Retirement) Kroeran Life after FIRE 58 11-24-2009 07:11 PM
Favorite Phrases Your Dad/Mom Used on You......... FinanceDude Other topics 106 06-14-2007 09:09 PM
500 search phrases for 2006 dory36 Other topics 2 01-16-2007 08:00 AM
Early Retirement in the early 21th century? Danny FIRE and Money 12 12-12-2005 11:00 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:57 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.