Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GregLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Waimanalo, HI
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The use of "grow" as a transitive verb, as in "grow the economy".
"Grow" is a transitive verb; cf. "grow corn", "grow a beard".
__________________

__________________
Greg (retired in 2010 at age 68, state pension)
GregLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GregLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Waimanalo, HI
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
When you say "The reason I go to school is because I want to learn" you are not answering the question "why do you go to school?" but "Why is the reason you go to school?" which doesn't make sense.
No you're not. You're answering the question "What is the reason you go to school?", which makes sense and is grammatical, though prolix (since "Why do you go to school?" would have done). I don't think there is any failure of logic in the example you complained about.
__________________

__________________
Greg (retired in 2010 at age 68, state pension)
GregLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.
mountaintosea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 553
What irritates me is when politicians claim to be for the "American people" or the "American people" want this, that or whatever. I think you don't speak for me! I know they claim they do and it is a representative government, but I find a lot of their comments insulting.
__________________
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #44
Dryer sheet wannabe
FIREngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Catonsville, MD
Posts: 21
My pet peeve is the use of "impact", as a noun or a verb, for anything other than a case where an object literally hits another object. Worse yet, "impactful" just makes me shudder.
__________________
FIREngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,283
Images of baseball bat to the speaker's head whenever I hear (usually on NPR) :

"Speaks to", "Informs", "Is informed by", and "goes to" horribly misused by the interviewer and the pseudointellectual being interviewed.
__________________
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,283
Starting the answer to a question with the word "So".

Q. Why are interest rates rising?

A. So, blah, blah, blah.

This happens on NPR a lot.
__________________
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 309
This video is like good. you know what I am saying?
Typography on Vimeo
__________________
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 39
Hope I didn't miss that someone already posted this one:

You Know?
__________________
unallowable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,196
Last night we watched

Kissing Jessica Stein

which I recommend -- great movie.

Much of the movie is how Jessica Stein rejects many of her suitors because of their lack of language skills (for example, one of her dates says "Well, I'm a self-defecating individual.").

But, can you catch the grammatical error that Jessica Stein makes in this trailer?

__________________
Al
TromboneAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Tadpole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,169
"And coming up after the break...."
"WEATHER next, after the break...."
"Your five day for cast in the next segment...."

At the end of the day you might just move to WA where the for cast is almost a given. Oh, I just did.
__________________
Tadpole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Last night we watched

Kissing Jessica Stein

which I recommend -- great movie.

Much of the movie is how Jessica Stein rejects many of her suitors because of their lack of language skills (for example, one of her dates says "Well, I'm a self-defecating individual.").

But, can you catch the grammatical error that Jessica Stein makes in this trailer?
Well, I can't. But I also just realized that if I want to ruin any appeal I might have for women on this planet all I have to do is to add being critical of their grammar to being choosey about their bottoms. Many divorced men (including me) will admit that being too critical too often helped them achieve that marital status.

I just want to see examples of men screwing up, and in ways that an average person would notice- so that I can improve my own performance.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,792
Just look in her eyes intently and sing:

__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #53
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
"Grow" is a transitive verb; cf. "grow corn", "grow a beard".
Although it has come to be used in some circumstances as a transitive verb, I contend such usage is incorrect. The corn grows; you cultivate it.
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Nice! Thanks.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #55
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GregLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Waimanalo, HI
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Although it has come to be used in some circumstances as a transitive verb, I contend such usage is incorrect.
Do you have any evidence at all for your contention? It seems to be something you just made up. I just looked at several dictionaries, and I find several transitive uses of "grow" listed.

Let me suggest to you that what you find peculiar about "grow the economy" is not that "grow" is used transitively, but rather that it is used causatively, to mean "cause the economy to grow". At first blush, it might seem that the ordinary transitive use of "grow" is causative, since when you grow corn, you cause corn to grow. But the reverse implication doesn't hold, since the sun may cause corn to grow, but it would be unusual to speak of the sun growing corn.
__________________
Greg (retired in 2010 at age 68, state pension)
GregLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

But, can you catch the grammatical error that Jessica Stein makes in this trailer?
At 0:52 she says "I'm going to have to go slow" instead of "I'm going to have to go slowly." Like saying "I talk good."
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #57
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Do you have any evidence at all for your contention? It seems to be something you just made up. I just looked at several dictionaries, and I find several transitive uses of "grow" listed.

Let me suggest to you that what you find peculiar about "grow the economy" is not that "grow" is used transitively, but rather that it is used causatively, to mean "cause the economy to grow". At first blush, it might seem that the ordinary transitive use of "grow" is causative, since when you grow corn, you cause corn to grow. But the reverse implication doesn't hold, since the sun may cause corn to grow, but it would be unusual to speak of the sun growing corn.
I'll admit that "grow corn" does not offend me as much as "grow the economy". Perhaps it is for the reason you describe. In any event, it is just a personal dislike of mine.
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
At 0:52 she says "I'm going to have to go slow" instead of "I'm going to have to go slowly." Like saying "I talk good."
Even when I talk greatly I still talk great...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GregLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Waimanalo, HI
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Like saying "I talk good."
But of course what would be proper is "I talk well."
__________________
Greg (retired in 2010 at age 68, state pension)
GregLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,971
I'm rarely bothered by grammer. The one thing I really do dislike, however, is when people use a double negative. An example would be last week when my helper said: "I aint doin' nuthin tonight". I said "so that means your doing something,right?" She just gave me a dirty look.
__________________

__________________
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
50 office-speak phrases you love to hate Onward Other topics 56 11-10-2010 03:55 PM
DRINKERs (Dual Retirement Income No-Kids Early Retirement) Kroeran Life after FIRE 58 11-24-2009 07:11 PM
Favorite Phrases Your Dad/Mom Used on You......... FinanceDude Other topics 106 06-14-2007 09:09 PM
500 search phrases for 2006 dory36 Other topics 2 01-16-2007 08:00 AM
Early Retirement in the early 21th century? Danny FIRE and Money 12 12-12-2005 11:00 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:15 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.