Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: how are you ballot-oriented?
i will be voting early 25 32.05%
i vote on election day 31 39.74%
i'll mail an absentee ballot 20 25.64%
what, me vote? 2 2.56%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2008, 01:34 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy View Post
Already sent it in.
In California, we have a lot of propositions. Some very noble sounding measures - high speed rail, kids hospitals, etc. I voted NO!!!!! on ANYTHING that involved bond measures - a fancy word for borrowing more money. The state already has way too much money. If those things are important enough then RE-PRIORITIZE!

Oh yes. Thats what I really want to vote on.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy View Post
Already sent it in.
In California, we have a lot of propositions. Some very noble sounding measures - high speed rail, kids hospitals, etc. I voted NO!!!!! on ANYTHING that involved bond measures - a fancy word for borrowing more money. The state already has way too much money. If those things are important enough then RE-PRIORITIZE!
a few years back we had some sponsor flood florida with ads for a high rail system from miami to disney or some such garbage. it would have cost over $1 billion (i don't recall the exact figure but i recall it was very expensive). fortunately that vote was later overturned by the same electorate. Florida High Speed Rail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

after that, florida voted in a measure such that amendments effecting budgets must list costs, including (examples from current ballot)...

annual costs:
Quote:
Shall the Charter be amended to create an advisory body to be known as the Metropolitan Transit Authority.

It is estimated that this amendment would result in an annual financial impact of approximately $72,000 in costs to Broward County. These costs are estimated to arise from annual administrative and legal support that would be provided by the County to the Metropolitan Transit Authority
periodic costs:
Quote:
Shall the Charter be amended to provide for the use of an independent redistricting consultant to develop plans and implement appropriate standards for redistricting of the County Commission single-member districts?
Quote:

It is estimated that this amendment would result in a financial impact of approximately $53,000 to $184,000 in Fiscal Year 2011, and an unquantifiable financial impact every ten (10) years thereafter.
one time costs:
Quote:
Shall the Charter be amended to create a Broward County Ethics Commission for the specific purpose of preparing a Code of Ethics regulating the behavior of Broward County Commissioners, to be considered by the County Commission and/ or the electors of Broward County?
Quote:

It is estimated that this amendment would result in a one-time, cost of approximately $73,000 to $100,000 to Broward County.
unknown costs:
Quote:
Shall an environmental policy statement be added to the Broward County Charter clarifying the Broward County government’s duty to enact ordinances which protect its citizens’ right to a sustainable environment, including clean air and
Quote:
clean water, while encouraging the stewardship of natural resources?

The financial impact of this amendment to Broward County cannot be determined. The financial impact of environmental sustenance ordinances, which have not yet been proposed or enacted, may not be estimated at this time. The financial impact may also not be estimated because the amendment does not contain a timeframe for the enactment of such sustenance ordinances.

and no costs:
Quote:
Shall the Charter be amended to designate County-owned parks as either Natural Area Parks or Regional Parks, and to prohibit the sale, transfer or change of use of such parks without an affirmative vote of sixty percent (60%) of the County electors?
Quote:

It is estimated that this amendment will have no financial impact to Broward County.
note: copied/pasted above from pdf file, can't seem to clean-up presentation.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #23

If I still lived in the city, I'd be voting early. But there are never any lines out here in the boonies. We don't even have lines at the post office during lunch hour.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #24
Administrator

The lines here were over an hour long yesterday. Voters were told to arrive with a "Mardi Gras spirit, although we DO realize voting is serious!". They were told to wear comfortable clothes and shoes, to enjoy themselves, and to realize that lines were going to be very long and they wouldn't be in and out of there very fast. Handicapped would be ushered to the head of the line, and they were urged to vote early.

I'll take my chances on election day! Can't be much longer than that, I hope.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #25

Our lines are usually pretty good. Ive rarely ever had to wait more than a couple minutes. We usually go about 7 at night.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
If I still lived in the city, I'd be voting early. But there are never any lines out here in the boonies. We don't even have lines at the post office during lunch hour.
We don't have lunchtime lines either because the post office CLOSES for lunch.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
.......I prefer to go to the polls on election day though, so on Nov. 4th, that's what I'll be doing! 8)
Well, circumstances changed. The banquet hall where we normally go vote (along with 2 other precincts) closed it's doors a couple of weeks ago, and is up for sale. It was very convenient because it was only a few blocks from home, and had a huge parking lot. The new polling place for us (and the other 2 precincts) is now at the parish hall of a local church quite a ways away in the middle of a of quiet residential neighborhood, and the parking is extremely limited due to narrow streets with parking on one side only.

Soooooo, we got up bright and early this morning, and went out to the county complex that's only a short distance from home......easy access, ample parking, no long lines, etc. There were 4 people ahead of us when we got there at 8:30am (that's when they unlock the doors). When we left after voting, there were about 6 people behind us.

So with our civic duty accomplished, we got back in the car and headed out to our favorite neighborhood restaurant for a nice breakfast! So all is well here in happy valley!
Old 10-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I voted yesterday morning. Only a few people ahead of me. By the time I was through, there were at least 20 people behind me.

I was impressed by the workers' knowledge and patience.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #29

Still voting, may finish up today, tomorrow, maybe Monday (absentee ballot).

-- Rita
Old 10-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I was impressed by the workers' knowledge and patience.
I, on the other hand, was amazed at the workers' lack of knowledge and ineptness! Had I not known that they were regular fulltime employees of the county clerk's office, I would have sworn that their normal occupation was working nights at the drive-up window at our McDonald's (ya want fries with that?). Dang! :confused:

I guess I was just used to dealing with all of those nice, well trained, volunteer, election judges that we normally deal with at the regular polling place. There was one of the clerk's office managers doing her thing....and quite well I might add.....and 2 others who had NO clue what to do, or how to do it.....even after being walked through each step, for each voter, by the office manager. It would have been semi-acceptable had this been their first day at this, but they've been doing this same thing for the last 2 weeks ....6 days per week, for 8-10 hours each day (depending on the day of the week)!

It's been rumored for the last few years that the clerk's office wasn't the most efficiently run office in our county, and I'd tend to have to agree on that after this morning. (and their keyboarding skills were of the '2-fingered hunt & poke' method.....my tax $$ at work!) So, since the clerk's position is up for election this year, I decided it was time to give someone else a chance to try and improve things.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Early voting wait long, but voters are committed by Molly Reid, The Times-Picayune Saturday October 25, 2008, 12:33 PM

The line of New Orleans residents waiting to cast an early ballot for the Nov. 4 elections stretched outside City Hall nearly halfway down Perdido Street around 11 a.m. today, with wait times averaging over three hours.
Early voting wait long, but voters are committed - Breaking News from New Orleans - Times-Picayune - NOLA.com

Notice the wait times for early voting here are AVERAGING over three hours. Some are probably waiting 4 or 5 hours 6 hours or longer to vote early. I wonder if maybe this is due to the intensity of not only the Presidential election, but also six other fiercely fought federal, state, and local positions on the same ballot. I have decided on all of them except the Louisiana Supreme Court Justice, and then I still need to study the seven state constitutional amendments and a Parish proposition.

At any rate, I'm glad that I am voting on election day! Usually 4 voting machines are squeezed into the 1-car garage that is the voting location for my precinct. The line forms outside. I hope it isn't raining.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:08 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm a poll worker and have ample opportunity to vote at the polls, but I still end up voting via mail. This can have it's downside. In the primaries, I ended up voting of a candidate that dropped out before the election. Then again voting in Florida (as the OP does), it is a crapshoot as to if and how it will be counted anyway.