Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is the spirit! I want you as my CCRC buddy/ally.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Most likely, if they served food I didn't like, I work for a change - especially in the reduction of butter. I could but my own seasoning and add it to the food. If I'm paying for it, the can d*&$ well accommodate me to a small degree,mor find out what a PIA I could be lol.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not big on free food, because I associate it with low quality or mass consumption (EDIT - I know not all free food is low quality, but in the back of my head, it's just how I perceive it)

The IT company I'm at has a catering service that delivers free buffet-style lunches once a week, and by the crowds of workers who flock to it, you'd think it was manna from heaven.

But I won't touch it. One, because I don't think it tastes that great, and second, because I like to get away from the office during lunch.

I've never been the type to bring my own lunch, or hang around the office at lunch, free food or not. I'd rather get out, go somewhere, sit down, and have a decent lunch and clear my head.

As a side note, I'm not big on leftovers either. Once I'm done with a meal, I'm done with it.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I only time I get to eat crap, is away from home.

thrashers.jpg
Old 11-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - college dorm food, free hotel stuff, company cafferteria, seminar buffet. I think there is a mental aspect hidden here somewhere.

heh heh heh - now the ole logging camp of memory - beef, butter, potatoes, high sugar pies, etc, etc. Yum! Now I eat lean and take pills while my heart lusts for a cheeseburger with grilled onions, chili cheese fries and a Green River.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

OK. I just finished writing my Thanksgiving sermon--about how we need to be grateful for the "bounty" that we have to chooose from. We sure can overlook those around us who don't have the chance to "not eat free food."

OK, sermon finished. Now pass the cornbread!
Old 11-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #46

I'll eat most things once, but wouldn't eat an overall diet that was bad for me, regardless of whether it was "free" or not.

Free pizza once in a while? Definitely. Several times a week? Maybe not.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post

Attachment 20432
OMG, that's Thrasher's French fries, isn't it?? They are the best. Only place I'll eat fries is Thrasher and this little food stand on the Macungie fair grounds (not fairground but forget right name).
Old 11-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #48

More than once in the service I had the opportunity to eat C-rations, K-rations, and MRE's, FREE! I can absolutely guarantee you that when given the chance I would eat just about anything else I could find at McDonalds, well if you could find a McDonalds. But the German bakery was a big hit!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
OMG, that's Thrasher's French fries, isn't it?? They are the best. Only place I'll eat fries is Thrasher and this little food stand on the Macungie fair grounds (not fairground but forget right name).
I had not been to "The Shore" for years living here in Arizona. This was the one good reason to go to Rehoboth Beach. By the way I know the Allentown Fairgrounds well after living in Fogelsville for a bunch of years we always get the pizza kits.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Did somebody just say all you can eat buffet?
Those a fighting words !

The allure of free food is hard to resist in an evolutionary sense. I believe the ingrained cost benefit analysis is overwhelmed by the offer. Reminds me of college, sure draw.

Now seriously, if the food was ok I would eat it once in a while even if it wasn't the greatest, just to try different dishes. Or maybe eat some items there and prepare others at home. Hard to believe they could be that bad with everything they served, every day, and for nothing to change.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

You won't be getting THAT in the CCRC, I'd bet! Looks fabulous.

Quote:

Attachment 20432
Old 11-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
Now pass the cornbread!
As soon as my husband makes another batch in the cast-iron skillet I'll send you a piece!

Another example: when I was a kid my Mom and Dad went somewhere on vacation with another couple, back in the days when airlines served decent meals on almost all flights (late 1960s). Mom reported that Dad and the other guy, both jaded business travelers, had turned down the food. They didn't like airline meals. I was stunned. How could you NOT enjoy a meal in the glamorous setting of an airplane?

Now I understand.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #53

If the free food was that bad I'd raise a fuss about it until it was better or they took the cost off my bill.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
As soon as my husband makes another batch in the cast-iron skillet I'll send you a piece!

Another example: when I was a kid my Mom and Dad went somewhere on vacation with another couple, back in the days when airlines served decent meals on almost all flights (late 1960s). Mom reported that Dad and the other guy, both jaded business travelers, had turned down the food. They didn't like airline meals. I was stunned. How could you NOT enjoy a meal in the glamorous setting of an airplane?

Now I understand.
Count me in on the cornbread. (GF won't allow cast iron skillets in her kitchen; I cannot make decent cornbread without one; time to visit mom.)

As for original question:
  • I do still eat the airline meal when it is offered.
My days of flying up front were they still feed you and liquor you with the cost of the flight should be a thing of the past soon.
  • But, I think I would draw the line at military MRE's if anything resembling food was available for purchase at a reasonable price.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #55

Quote:
I had not been to "The Shore" for years living here in Arizona. This was the one good reason to go to Rehoboth Beach. By the way I know the Allentown Fairgrounds well after living in Fogelsville for a bunch of years we always get the pizza kits.
FOGELSVILLE! never been just pass on the way to Kunkletown, Lenhartsville, Schuylkill Haven and Hawk Mountain in Kempton
The fairground I was thinking of was the Macungie Memorial Park. We use to go for car shows.
My friends have a condo in Ocean City where I've spent some great vacations. First stop is Thrashers, sometimes before I even unpack. Ever go to Fager's Island when you were there? We always schedule dinner for the sunset sitting. They play the 1812 Overture and have it timed for the setting sun. Love those canons.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

We have recently visited and eaten in a couple of local CCRCs. The food that we were served was delicious and quite nutritious. The food was served restaurant style though I think they mentioned an occasional (Friday?) buffet.

We are seriously considering a move to such a place in a few years. DW loves to cook and I love to dine on her end products but in conversations that we have had with current CCRC residents there seem to agree that the food served is as good as Mama makes and can be delivered to your residence for an additional $1. The ease at eating out at no added cost is tough to pass up.

One place grants each resident over $400 per person, per month in dining credits. Prices charged are quite reasonable. One place had a $19 prime rib special. Use it or lose it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

But what if the other residents like the food, and you don't? Then you will be labeled a crank, which may be "remembered" when you are no longer as able to stand up for yourself.

Then again, maybe I have read too many Stephen King and Patricia Highsmith novels featuring nursing home scenarios....

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
If the free food was that bad I'd raise a fuss about it until it was better or they took the cost off my bill.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #58

I think it possible that the daughter's complaint could be a reflection of her tastes and preferences and not her parents. Maybe she doesn't want her parents in a CCRC for whatever reason (depletion of assets?).

My late uncle was in a nice assisted living on Cape Cod for a couple of years in his late eighties (he had a two-room suite with views of the Atlantic and was able to have his cat). He was a retired foods chemist and quite particular about what he ate, particularly pesticide content. His daughter would take him out on occasion for lunch, rides, doctor visits and he was always anxious to get back to his new abode in time for cocktail hour and dinner. My cousin said she offered him a cocktail or a glass of wine or a bite to eat at her house but he wouldn't hear of it...had to get back. He had been widowed twice and lived alone for a couple of years (was not a "mixer", left the social aspects up to the wives) and she deduced he liked the socialization. She also suspected that this fever to "get back" had to do with a certain lady that he had his eye on.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
But what if the other residents like the food, and you don't? Then you will be labeled a crank, which may be "remembered" when you are no longer as able to stand up for yourself.
I'd be in very deep doodoo. It wouldn't be the first time I was called rude names.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Let us know how that works. Right after they throw you out you relocate.

Food service in a CCRC is like eating from the daily early-bird special menu of a diner. Options are limited. No amount of griping is going to improve it, but that will alienate the staff. Food prep is a cost center, so when the facility is under a budget crunch, quality will suffer. Limited meal hours also take some getting used to.

Some people seem to adapt easily to that lifestyle, others have a hard time. Issues probably have as much to do with control as they do with food quality. If you want to have a social life within the CCRC you have to be there at mealtime, it's the most important social activity. Some people must feel trapped by that.

Tags
ccrc, food, frugal, thrifty