Eating Food Just Because "It's Paid For"

Now pass the cornbread!

As soon as my husband makes another batch in the cast-iron skillet I'll send you a piece!

Another example: when I was a kid my Mom and Dad went somewhere on vacation with another couple, back in the days when airlines served decent meals on almost all flights (late 1960s). Mom reported that Dad and the other guy, both jaded business travelers, had turned down the food. They didn't like airline meals. I was stunned. How could you NOT enjoy a meal in the glamorous setting of an airplane?

Now I understand.

If the free food was that bad I'd raise a fuss about it until it was better or they took the cost off my bill.

As soon as my husband makes another batch in the cast-iron skillet I'll send you a piece!

Another example: when I was a kid my Mom and Dad went somewhere on vacation with another couple, back in the days when airlines served decent meals on almost all flights (late 1960s). Mom reported that Dad and the other guy, both jaded business travelers, had turned down the food. They didn't like airline meals. I was stunned. How could you NOT enjoy a meal in the glamorous setting of an airplane?

Now I understand.

Count me in on the cornbread. (GF won't allow cast iron skillets in her kitchen; I cannot make decent cornbread without one; time to visit mom.)

As for original question:

• I do still eat the airline meal when it is offered.
My days of flying up front were they still feed you and liquor you with the cost of the flight should be a thing of the past soon.
  • But, I think I would draw the line at military MRE's if anything resembling food was available for purchase at a reasonable price.

I had not been to "The Shore" for years living here in Arizona. This was the one good reason to go to Rehoboth Beach. By the way I know the Allentown Fairgrounds well after living in Fogelsville for a bunch of years we always get the pizza kits.

FOGELSVILLE! never been just pass on the way to Kunkletown, Lenhartsville, Schuylkill Haven and Hawk Mountain in Kempton
The fairground I was thinking of was the Macungie Memorial Park. We use to go for car shows.
My friends have a condo in Ocean City where I've spent some great vacations. First stop is Thrashers, sometimes before I even unpack. Ever go to Fager's Island when you were there? We always schedule dinner for the sunset sitting. They play the 1812 Overture and have it timed for the setting sun. Love those canons.

We have recently visited and eaten in a couple of local CCRCs. The food that we were served was delicious and quite nutritious. The food was served restaurant style though I think they mentioned an occasional (Friday?) buffet.

We are seriously considering a move to such a place in a few years. DW loves to cook and I love to dine on her end products but in conversations that we have had with current CCRC residents there seem to agree that the food served is as good as Mama makes and can be delivered to your residence for an additional $1. The ease at eating out at no added cost is tough to pass up.

One place grants each resident over $400 per person, per month in dining credits. Prices charged are quite reasonable. One place had a $19 prime rib special. Use it or lose it.

But what if the other residents like the food, and you don't? Then you will be labeled a crank, which may be "remembered" when you are no longer as able to stand up for yourself.

Then again, maybe I have read too many Stephen King and Patricia Highsmith novels featuring nursing home scenarios....:blush:

Amethyst

If the free food was that bad I'd raise a fuss about it until it was better or they took the cost off my bill.

I think it possible that the daughter's complaint could be a reflection of her tastes and preferences and not her parents. Maybe she doesn't want her parents in a CCRC for whatever reason (depletion of assets?).

My late uncle was in a nice assisted living on Cape Cod for a couple of years in his late eighties (he had a two-room suite with views of the Atlantic and was able to have his cat). He was a retired foods chemist and quite particular about what he ate, particularly pesticide content. His daughter would take him out on occasion for lunch, rides, doctor visits and he was always anxious to get back to his new abode in time for cocktail hour and dinner. My cousin said she offered him a cocktail or a glass of wine or a bite to eat at her house but he wouldn't hear of it...had to get back. He had been widowed twice and lived alone for a couple of years (was not a "mixer", left the social aspects up to the wives) and she deduced he liked the socialization. She also suspected that this fever to "get back" had to do with a certain lady that he had his eye on.

Last edited:
But what if the other residents like the food, and you don't? Then you will be labeled a crank, which may be "remembered" when you are no longer as able to stand up for yourself.

I'd be in very deep doodoo. It wouldn't be the first time I was called rude names.:D

Let us know how that works. Right after [-]they throw you out[/-] you relocate. :LOL:

Food service in a CCRC is like eating from the daily early-bird special menu of a diner. Options are limited. No amount of griping is going to improve it, but that will alienate the staff. Food prep is a cost center, so when the facility is under a budget crunch, quality will suffer. Limited meal hours also take some getting used to.

Some people seem to adapt easily to that lifestyle, others have a hard time. Issues probably have as much to do with control as they do with food quality. If you want to have a social life within the CCRC you have to be there at mealtime, it's the most important social activity. Some people must feel trapped by that.

Another thought on the quality of "it's paid for" food: there would be a double cost to improving it. Suppose the Hampton Inns switched to breakfast that included homemade muesli, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, Cinnabons (maybe a smaller version), genuine bagels with hummus and high-quality jam (no high-fructose corn syrup), and Starbucks coffee. In addition to the additional cost of providing it, demand would skyrocket. People who formerly just grabbed coffee and ran out the door would get up earlier. Some would "fill up" at breakfast to save money at lunch. And you know there would be people who stuffed extras into their purses/pockets for later.

This would also be true of retirement homes- fewer people would eat elsewhere, people would eat more and maybe take some with them. They have some incentive to keep the offerings mediocre!

My Dad lives in CCRC and the food is pretty good. The monthly fee (he owns his apartment but pays monthly for services and LT insurance) includes a continental breakfast and one other meal each day. For each meal, they have a printed menu and also some standard additions. They will deliver to a person's apartment if people are ill without additional cost and charge $17.50 for each guest meal.

They do have a weekly buffet on Monday, which started for those who watched Monday night football. They also have the regular restaurant meals for those who do not want the buffet. They have holiday buffets also, with everything you can think of, including wine. And luaus, Cinco de Mayo, Easter brunch etc....all with wine of champagne.

It seems that his CCRC is a more deluxe place than some others, because they have lots and lots of other benefits. So, a comparison would be a good idea if thinking about moving to one.

Back
Top Bottom