Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I don't like eating out. Most of the food is overly starchy/greasy/salty. I prefer to cook my own stuff.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

We've managed to find family and locally owned restaurants in our area of Tampa, and we enjoy them as much as ever -- including catching up with the owners and regulars. Food is good, prices moderate and close to home mostly. We go out twice a week most weeks, but that is a big form of entertainment for us. Our regular Friday dinner friends enjoy funky places as we do. This is a big restaurant town.

I am kind of immune to high profile expensive restaurants except on special occasions. Plenty of them around town here.

Moe - I have the perfect cure for your restaurant blues: you name the type of food, then we find a place in Tampa, and then you and your SO come up for that dinner we owe you. Maybe even somewhere mid way, in Pinellas (Bella Brava, maybe? Outdoor dining in St. Pete).

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My choices are pretty limited, and I really don't like to drive an hour one-way for better choices, so I've learned to cook a lot of diverse ethnic foods myself. I can buy a whole lotta shrimp and scallops, spread over several meals for what I would spend eating out.
We still go out to Red Lobster and our Adirondack prime rib place on special occasions. Other than that, if we do eat out, we go to standard restaurant chains.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

Moe - I have the perfect cure for your restaurant blues: you name the type of food, then we find a place in Tampa, and then you and your SO come up for that dinner we owe you. Maybe even somewhere mid way, in Pinellas (Bella Brava, maybe? Outdoor dining in St. Pete).

Thanks Rich and as soon as I stop travelling I'll take you up on it !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW and I go out to eat two, maybe three times a week but nothing high end. We like the local family restaurants where I can get meatloaf, mashed potatoes with gravey and green beans for $6.95 and comes with corn bread. After 4PM its all you can eat for $8.95. You can't eat all they give you in the first place. Every nite is something different as their feature like liver and onions, fish, spaghetti and meatballs, etc. Great grilled chicken salad. For pizza we go a local place that makes the best pizza crust. Thursday and Sat the pizza is on special for $6.95 for a large but we get three toppings that brings it up to $13. Those places are just to replace cooking at home when you get sick of it. Love to go out for prime rib specials at a local joint. $11.95 for a queen cut with all the trimmings. And, we always drink water as the drinks run the tab up another $4. Call us tight, but we have a couple before we go out so why pay good money for some stupid tea. However, a mug of ice cold beer is great with the pizza.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Since my husband retired in March, and even before that, he discovered a new passion for cooking, and he is wonderful at it!! What he makes would be hard to beat in most restaurants, and I find myself more and more just wanting to stay home and eat his cooking together. He has learned to grocery shop (though I still make sure we have staples) and sometimes even cleans up. Other than a couple of favorite haunts that make specialties we both like, we eat out far less often than we used to by choice. We are also both losing weight because home cooking done carefully has much fewer fat and calories.
BlondieMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I don't like eating out. Most of the food is overly starchy/greasy/salty. I prefer to cook my own stuff.
Note to self: Don't dine out in the Dayton area!
Old 08-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
It's nice to have someone serve me.
we're not worthy, we're not worthy...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I eat lunch out with co-workers mostly for social reasons. I do bring lunch to work twice a week or so and eat out 2 or 3 times a week. We like going to Korean places. They usually have very good prices for lunch and they give you upwards of 7 side dishes with free refills on all of them. And Dim sums are good too. If I had to cook that kind of food, it would take me a lot of time/money/effort, so it makes sense to eat them in restaurants, and it's hard to beat their lunch prices. Good diners are hard to come by around here and they charge a lot for midiocre quality food. I like Reuben sandwiches but I haven't had a decent Reuben in a long long time. I guess I will have to wait until St. Patrick's day (that's about the only time I cook corned beef.)

We don't go out much for dinner. When we do go out, we tend to choose something different from our usual fare - Mexican, Japanese tapas, Peruvian, etc... The regular stuff we just tend to cook at home. I tend to do a lot of Italian and good ol' american comfort food like stuffed peppers, meatloaf, chicken pot pie, BBQ ribs....

I am getting hungry!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
we're not worthy, we're not worthy...

Oh....I think you'll do just fine....as long as you wear that outfit I have in mind....
Old 08-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

http://inventorspot.com/files/images/French%20Maid.jpg

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hmmmm...on second thought...I'll help myself....
Old 08-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I thought so.

But then, please share an image of what you have in mind. Perhaps someone here might oblige.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I thought so.

But then, please share an image of what you have in mind. Perhaps someone here might oblige.
Oh no...can't do that darlin'. That would have to be on a totally different forum.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I thought so too. I won't ask further.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:08 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

We don't go out for dinner very often. After a steak dinner at a restaurant a few months back, we were looking at the total check of about $60 with drinks and tip. We agreed that we could have BBQ'd steaks at home and enjoyed them with some microbrews for about 1/3 that amount.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:36 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

No loss of luster in the Chicago suburban area - good variety of tasty food. Usually only dine out once or twice a week. Its great to search out little family owned places. Makes dining out an adventure.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:37 AM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieMM View Post
We are also both losing weight because home cooking done carefully has much fewer fat and calories.

That is what I thought until my daughter and I saw the movie "Julie & Julia "and we both wanted to start cooking french with loads of butter .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:45 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm a picky eater so dining out has never been a big thrill for me although I do enjoy to have a steak or BBQ out once in a while. My actual preference for dining out is to go for breakfast, usually a lot cheaper and on weekdays, most places in the area have specials so I try to do this a couple of times per month.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:59 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Dw & I have always spent considerable time traveling. For many years it was by airplane to faraway places. Several years ago, we decided to try the "road trip" model and see the USA in a more leisurely manner. The first trip -- Denver-Arkansas-Memphis-Nashville-Atlanta-St. Augustine-Miami-Tallahasee-New Orleans-El Paso-Sante Fe-Taos-Denver -- pointed out two major flaws in that plan. Some hotels (within the same to be unnamed major chain) were fabulous and others were comparable to "by the hour" dumps. The other problem was finding places to eat. Bottom line, we were very disappointed in paying $70-$80 for dinner and leaving, on our plates, as much as we'd eaten -- always left feeling robbed. (Leaving aside the fact that the food was never that great anyway.)

Anyway, as a result, we discovered the RV lifestyle (will be eternally grateful) and haven't been inside a restaurant for a couple years now. Or a hotel for that matter.
RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote