Eating out day & time

Note: I never go out to eat on Valentine's Day. Absolutely, the worst day to eat out in regards, to food, atmosphere and crowds. I'll make my sweetie a home made meal instead.

Same goes for New Years Eve - expensive, crowded, cheap champagne and awful traffic after 12:01 AM. Tonight - to celebrate the 12th day of Christmas and as part of bringing in the New Year - we are going out to eat and hear a very good band at a great dinner/music place. 1/2 the cost of New Year's Eve and no crowds (with drunks) to deal with. :)

Last edited:
We eat out mainly at lunch--usually during the week. We find that portions are so large most place we eat half of the meal and take the other half home to eat for dinner or for lunch next days. By getting 2 meals out of one we cut the cost of the meal and the calories in half. We have so many good places to eat where we like to try out places we have not eaten before.

One thing I have not seen mentioned which is not eating in a restaurant but is eating away from the house--PICNICS. In good weather (not today!) we pack picnic lunch (sandwiches, salads, etc) and go somewhere for a picnic--to a park, nature preserve, lake, etc. That way we feel like we have gone out to eat but without the cost. Before or after the picnic we usually go on a hike too so we are getting some exercise. I love picnics!! Can't wait for the weather to get warmer so we can go on a picnic--maybe next week.

We go out for nice dinners every Sat & Sun, not often during the week. We go out for breakfast or lunch on weekends occasionally. We eat early, so crowds are rarely a problem for us even on Sat & Sun. If time gets away from us on a Sat or Sun and it's 7pm or after, we'll skip table service places and go to a Panera Bread or the like.

I am sure it's less expensive and/or less waiting weekdays, maybe someday we'll try that.

And if we need to cut costs, we'll probably go out for lunch every Sat & Sun instead of dinner, and have something lighter at home. Lots of ways to vary dining, entertainment and other spending!

Last edited:
I'm reminded how some people like to cling to habits.

There is this group of 75 -> 90 yr olds and they go out for supper on Saturday.. They have to go early to avoid the crowd.
I told a couple of them, why not just go on the weekdays... or go for lunch on weekdays... no crowds.

But they stick to their routine.....

We only eat out maybe three times a month if that. When we do, it's for lunch on a weekday and preferably between 2 and 3 PM when things are slow, usually after going to the gym. I'll skip the margarita though, I long ago gave up drinking anything alcoholic in restaurants because the markup just irritates me.

I've noticed with the cold weather that neither one of us has any interest in going out for a meal. We just crank up the heat in our well-insulated natural gas heated house and cook or heat up something to be eaten hot.

Eating at a restaurant in Washington, DC or NoVA is expensive and rarely is the food any better than what Mrs Hawkeye or I can make on or own. Therefore we have really cut back on restaurant expenses.

I'm waiting for W2R to check in here, and make me jealous of all the options that New Orleans has. Sure do miss the eating and bargains in NOLA!

Eating at a restaurant in Washington, DC or NoVA is expensive and rarely is the food any better than what Mrs Hawkeye or I can make on or own. Therefore we have really cut back on restaurant expenses.

I'm waiting for W2R to check in here, and make me jealous of all the options that New Orleans has. Sure do miss the eating and bargains in NOLA!

Like you, I love eating out at inexpensive neighborhood restaurants in New Orleans! :D

In 2017 we ate out 363 times. Maybe that makes me an outlier like Danmar, since we ate out about the same number of times but also twice as much an outlier because I actually kept track of how many times. Most of these meals were our daily late lunches, with a few late dinners scattered in there now and then.

Despite our daily lunches the total number of restaurant meals was under 365 because I skipped eating out at all on days when I had just had dental work done (and I had a lot done last year), or when I was otherwise indisposed, on Christmas, or when life otherwise intervened such as waiting for a repairman.

I don't regret any of it. It gets us out of the house, and also gives us a time each day to chat peacefully over lunch and share our lives, ideas, and perspectives with each other. In 2017 my average cost per meal was $9.35, including tax and tip. These were my main daily meals. The price has gone up a couple of dollars for two reasons; first, a few restaurant prices went up, and second, with the market doing so well, I didn't mind ordering more expensive meals if they are healthy.

As for the weekend vs weekday contraversy, I don't really care. Usually the usual wait staff is there on weekdays and not always on weekends, so that's a plus for weekdays. But on weekends, there are fewer customers for lunch and that is nice too.

Attachments

• seafood-gumbo-smittys.jpg
    seafood-gumbo-smittys.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 66
  • poboy.jpg
    poboy.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 70
  • AppleAlmondBlueCheeseSaladSmall.jpg
    AppleAlmondBlueCheeseSaladSmall.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Img_0054.jpg
    Img_0054.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Img_0176.jpg
    Img_0176.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

I've noticed with the cold weather that neither one of us has any interest in going out for a meal. We just crank up the heat in our well-insulated natural gas heated house and cook or heat up something to be eaten hot.

Same here, and so over the past week I made meals to warm the kitchen:
Chili on the stove.
Oven roasted pork loin
Beef stew on the stove instead of the instant pot.

Agree...in fact we eat out so rarely, for those very reasons, that we feel justified in splurging on meals when we go on vacation.

Ethnic restaurants in the farther D.C. suburbs have some really good food but we rarely get out that far.

!

Now that DW is limited in what she can do physically, we go out to eat frequently. And like W2R, we frequent the smaller, non-chain places where food is good and cost is pretty reasonable. Cooking at home is becoming a rarity. When we do cook at home, it's something on the grill and steamed veggies or a baked potato.

Occasionally, DW's brother and his wife will ask us to go with them to one of the local expensive steak houses for an occasion (birthday, etc). I'm always amazed at how little you get for the cost and also the quality is sometimes not the greatest.

Reactions: W2R
I'm always amazed at how little you get for the cost and also the quality is sometimes not the greatest.

But...but...it's not the cost that's important, it's the talking about it and dismissing it as 'minimal' that matters. :LOL:

Last edited:
Like you, I love eating out at inexpensive neighborhood restaurants in New Orleans! :D

In 2017 we ate out 363 times. Maybe that makes me an outlier like Danmar, since we ate out about the same number of times but also twice as much an outlier because I actually kept track of how many times. Most of these meals were our daily late lunches, with a few late dinners scattered in there now and then.

Despite our daily lunches the total number of restaurant meals was under 365 because I skipped eating out at all on days when I had just had dental work done (and I had a lot done last year), or when I was otherwise indisposed, on Christmas, or when life otherwise intervened such as waiting for a repairman.

I don't regret any of it. It gets us out of the house, and also gives us a time each day to chat peacefully over lunch and share our lives, ideas, and perspectives with each other. In 2017 my average cost per meal was $9.35, including tax and tip. These were my main daily meals. The price has gone up a couple of dollars for two reasons; first, a few restaurant prices went up, and second, with the market doing so well, I didn't mind ordering more expensive meals if they are healthy.

As for the weekend vs weekday contraversy, I don't really care. Usually the usual wait staff is there on weekdays and not always on weekends, so that's a plus for weekdays. But on weekends, there are fewer customers for lunch and that is nice too.

If i lived where you do, I would gain twenty pounds. Local Gulf Coast food is the best. But you are right, get out of the house, lunch can be inexpensive, have fun with your SO .

We probably average once a week for lunch and once for Dinner. Usually something we would not cook. But if we lived there.... maybe more.

Yum! Thanks for the pictures. New Orleans has some of my favorite food!

We eat out mainly at lunch--usually during the week. We find that portions are so large most place we eat half of the meal and take the other half home to eat for dinner or for lunch next days. By getting 2 meals out of one we cut the cost of the meal and the calories in half. We have so many good places to eat where we like to try out places we have not eaten before.

One thing I have not seen mentioned which is not eating in a restaurant but is eating away from the house--PICNICS. In good weather (not today!) we pack picnic lunch (sandwiches, salads, etc) and go somewhere for a picnic--to a park, nature preserve, lake, etc. That way we feel like we have gone out to eat but without the cost. Before or after the picnic we usually go on a hike too so we are getting some exercise. I love picnics!! Can't wait for the weather to get warmer so we can go on a picnic--maybe next week.

I agree; picnics are great! One of the local grocery stores here has an amazing deli with a huge variety of prepared food. We often take picnics out when we go paddling.

Today was overcast and a bit chilly. We wanted to eat somewhere fast but high quality while we were out running errands so we went to the grocery store. DH had chicken salad, Waldorf salad, and chili while I had ahi poke and edamame salad. Total cost was $26. Fast, fresh and delicious! They have a rooftop deck with a marina/bay view.

Eating out day & time

We have no preference for which days to eat out. But we mainly eat out between 2-4. Usually as part of a shopping excursion.

I'm a homebody and like to cook, so rarely eat out except for a few gatherings organized by groups in my church. One is God and Guinness!

I have developed a Starbucks habit; I get enough gift cards from donating blood and e-Rewards that I never have to add cash to my account. I tend to cluster errands, appointments, etc. on the same day in the city where I used to live (45 minutes away) so it's a good place to spend spare time. I stick with plain old coffee but when I take my granddaughter there a cake pop and juice box get added to the tab!

I'm a homebody and like to cook, so rarely eat out except for a few gatherings organized by groups in my church. One is God and Guinness!

Almost enough to drag an agnostic off the fence... [emoji12]

We rarely eat out on the weekends because we don't like all of the crowds and the noise they generate.

On weekdays we try to go out for dinner once a week or so, generally where they have weekday specials.

I find that if I go out for lunch I eat too much and then I'm tired the rest of the day, so I try to eat a very light lunch, like a small salad. That's enough to keep my energy levels up without overeating and needing to take a nap.

I find that if I go out for lunch I eat too much and then I'm tired the rest of the day, so I try to eat a very light lunch, like a small salad. That's enough to keep my energy levels up without overeating and needing to take a nap.

After a hard workout and 2 beer lunch, I like to take a short nap. I think it’s a big advantage of being retired.

Back
Top Bottom