Join Early Retirement Today

Eating out day & time
Old 01-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Eating out day & time

Recent thread about what you could cut out of the budget if needed, had me thinking about dining out. That seemed to be the number 1 go to area beside recycled toilet paper joke.

For over 12 years now, we have always dined out on a Monday-Thursday schedule and before 6. Even at 30 we acted like we were 80 My DF, who is now a major part of my life likes to go out Saturday night at 7

So what are your dining preferences, and why?
Weekends
Weekdays

Mine are week days I think the staff is less stressed, service is better & faster.

2017 dry run spending: 2018 accelerate debt elimination: 2019 RV procurement & 1MY begins: 6/19 DW last month went early: 9/19 start cross country loop: 1/20 first reinforcements arrive. 6/20 sell business or shut doors. 9/20 begin globe trot: 4/26 401K reinforcement.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I prefer to make my own meals - more nutritious, they help keep my weight down, and cheaper.

But, I also like to go out to eat and when I do it is for social occasions, and/or to eat something I would not make at home for whatever reason.

I prefer early in the week - Mon through Wed, and lunch rather than dinner. The closer one gets to Friday HH and Saturday night dinner, things get more expensive, crowded and rushed.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like lunch.

Kelly and I hit the sushi bar a couple of days ago for a hundred bucks. And Mama-san was feeding me free oysters too -
Old 01-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

We eat out for lunch mainly. It's become a habit after gym days. I believe it's necessary to get some salt from a margarita after gym. 😁

Our favorite Mexican restaurant is behind the gym. It's hard to pass up some days. Lunch is normally lunch for a couple of days.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:50 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Little Mexican restaurant near us. I go several days a week for lunch. Great food and inexpensive. I pop in about 1:20 after the work crowd is gone, have the place to myself. Nice quiet booth with my Kindle and iPad. Love it.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:51 PM   #6

Tuesday night 5:30 at the Mexican Restaurant with 99 cent Margaritas. Food is just so- so but who cares after 3 Margaritas(also the name of the restaurant)

We usually also go out for dinner on one of the weekend nights after a matinee movie.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:36 PM   #7

Generally only days that end with a 'y'. Either lunch or dinner. And nearly 100% of the time with a coupon or discount.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #8

I am at Starbucks every morning after dropping a granddaughter off at school or b4 services. I only drink drip coffee and prefer my Nature Valley chewy granola bar so it's inexpensive.

We generally go to lunch 1 day mid-week (less crowded)
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:10 PM   #9

We don't eat out much, but when we do, we like a late lunch any day of the week. I hate crowds. I don't know why anyone would wait in line to get some food. It's bad enough if you have to wait at the table if you hit a busy time. One of our favorites is hitting a Mexican restaurant near us around 3:00pm. Usually no one there and it's late enough that we're good for the evening.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:11 PM   #10

I eat when I'm hungry, no clock involved.
What day we go all depends on if DW feels like cooking.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Lunch during the week to avoid crowds, definitely not on the weekends.

My choice is often determined by whatever coupon I have. Or we just go Thai as a local restaurant has a great lunch deal.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:48 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We don’t eat out much anymore unless traveling, as food is so good at home. But we overwhelmingly prefer lunch out as a) that’s when we eat our bigger meal and b) we don’t like to drive after dark.

The rare eating out times usually happen when we are out runnung other errands. Occasionally do breakfast out.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:55 AM   #13

I prefer restaurants with atmosphere. To me that means an outdoor oceanfront place for lunch. Most such places have a good variety of casual but high quality salads, burgers and sandwiches.

For dinner, we really try to patronize places with no TV. We donít watch much TV and hate that so many even upscale places in So CA have multiple TVs on at all times.

We usually eat out at least 4 times per week. Like cooking at home too, but sometimes itís just nice to go out. When we go out to dinner, we prefer to go at 7 or 8 pm so we donít have to cut our day short.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:13 AM   #14

To avoid the waiting and bad service of crowded times.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I prefer to make my own meals - more nutritious, they help keep my weight down, and cheaper.

But, I also like to go out to eat and when I do it is for social occasions, and/or to eat something I would not make at home for whatever reason.

I prefer early in the week - Mon through Wed, and lunch rather than dinner. The closer one gets to Friday HH and Saturday night dinner, things get more expensive, crowded and rushed.
+1 exactly what we do.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:35 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I mostly eat at home because I enjoy cooking, the food is better, and the dress code is relaxed. Eating out is mostly social and is most commonly a weekday lunch.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:15 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lunch any day. We have some good local restaurants. I also really like to cook at home.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:22 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck_Club View Post
So what are your dining preferences
Don't think I/we've ever dined.......if we're out of town we might grab something to eat somewhere out of necessity, but that's about it.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:37 AM   #19

Our favorite meal out is breakfast on Saturday. Headed out in about an hour.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:49 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

When eating out I do so primarily M-F. Either lunch or dinner. My home cooking consists of grilling, baking a potato and steaming veggies. Nothing complicated. I rarely eat out for breakfast except when out of town.