Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

eBay & PayPal Fee History
Old 01-08-2019, 08:03 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

eBay & PayPal Fee History

There have been a few threads lately, so I thought I summarize how eBay/PayPal fees have increased over the years. My first sale was in 2002, my last completed last weekend. I've excluded 22 book sales. Ignore the high and low outliers (shipping cost discrepancies, partial refunds, etc.), just so you know what you're in for selling on eBay. It's still the biggest audience you can find anywhere, but the fees have increased a lot and buyers have the upper hand over sellers nowaday - period.

Without outliers, fees averaged about 8% in 2002, they're closer to 15% now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fees.jpg (215.5 KB, 24 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #2

Interesting. I have a similar history with selling but it would be hard for me to get accurate numbers. There are still a few 'slam dunk' selling on eBay is the ticket items, but no longer as many. On lower prices items, by the time the fees are paid and the shipping (where individual sellers have a price disadvantage compared to the institutions), the buyer could probably buy new.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, didn't realize they had gone up that much. I still sell a few things on Ebay but only if they are big ticket items. Only had one bad customer (knock on wood), but know it can only get worse going forward as the word is generally out that buyers can screw sellers without consequences.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The more you sell, the bigger the discount you get on fees.
For easy cash for your "stuff", still hard to beat eBay. Think of the alternatives. I have some stuff on Craigslist and I am at least 4-5 emails into each listing that might net me $20.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:33 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Yeah. 15% is a phenomenal fee for a company that carries no inventory, has no receivables, and takes no risks, credit or otherwise.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #6

Interesting subject. I sold some coins about a year ago and it was only 11.00%
Who says there's no inflation

A related gripe with eBay is that as far as I understand it, sellers can no longer give negative feedback. What's up with that ?

As someone looking to sell a lot of items in the future, it concerns me that I'm no longer able to refuse bidders with lots of (recent) negative feedback.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
Interesting subject. I sold some coins about a year ago and it was only 11.00%
Who says there's no inflation

A related gripe with eBay is that as far as I understand it, sellers can no longer give negative feedback. What's up with that ?

As someone looking to sell a lot of items in the future, it concerns me that I'm no longer able to refuse bidders with lots of (recent) negative feedback.
You can still report a buyer and set parameters on who can bid.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
..........A related gripe with eBay is that as far as I understand it, sellers can no longer give negative feedback. What's up with that ?..........
In the past, sellers have retaliated against buyers who have a complaint - legitimate or not.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #9

I have been grudgingly selling things on EBay. After Ebay & Paypal fees + shipping cost, I don't net much of what I sell. Then again, most of the stuff I sell are things I can't use at home any more.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:15 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Does ebay charge a fee if I list something and it doesn't sell at minimum bid ?
Old 01-09-2019, 01:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Does ebay charge a fee if I list something and it doesn't sell at minimum bid ?
If it does not sell, they won't charge a fee.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:03 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I did some regular selling in the 2000's when the ending fee was 3-5%, but just sporadically since then. Great chart.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:56 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I stopped selling on ebay years ago. Now that buyers have god rights...its not worth it imo...not to mention the fees.

Id much rather donate things or give them to someone I know for free. The amount I ever made on ebay was peanuts and not worth my time.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:11 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Folks keep mentioning all the power that buyers have. Just be honest in your listing, take lots of pictures and describe things as best you can. I have almost 2000 transactions with 100% positive feedback and I’ve had 2 buyers that I can remember who we’re unreasonable.
It’s like not driving a car, because you might get a flat. Just prepare for it and move on with making some money.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:26 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I stopped selling on ebay years ago. Now that buyers have god rights...its not worth it imo...not to mention the fees.

Id much rather donate things or give them to someone I know for free. The amount I ever made on ebay was peanuts and not worth my time.
Despite
  • the work it takes to develop a listing (good pictures, accurate honest description),
  • the work & expense involved in packaging/shipping and
  • the fact buyers can abuse sellers almost at will nowadays (it wasn't that way 10+ years ago)
pocketing over $7K on stuff that I'd have thrown out or given away has been worth it to us.

I know it's way TMI, but since the OP chart included expenses other than eBay & PayPal fees, here's a cleaner look at how much eBay expenses have grown from 2002 to present - they've doubled, and so has buyer>seller grief/nonsense. Buyers used to readily provide (positive) feedback, now most of them can't be bothered - and positive feedback is crucial to ongoing sales (I'm also at 100% positive feedback BTW). And though they are rare, we've been cheated at least 3 times or about 4% of sales. Luckily 2 were small $ items, but one cost us $220 - and we had clear proof the buyer was lying.
Attached Images
File Type: png eBay tot.png (167.6 KB, 6 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote