Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
It's not illegal, but what if someone thinks it is illegal and calls the cops?
Show the cop your Craigslist ad and ask them if they'll offer you a better price for whatever you're selling.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You reminded me I needed to update my For Sale by Owner listing and to include our open house this weekend. ForSaleByOwner dot com gives me a beautiful listing with description and photos that goes right onto CL. Very professional and very easy. Time to move to FL.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Another alternative is to meet at the parking lot of a store at a certain time, which is far better handled by cell phone for the inevitable delays & MIAs.
Does this option ever lead to problems with the local constabulary?
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I can't see where this would be a problem since you aren't doing anything illegal.
I think the bigger issue is how Nords handles the recommended transaction process since he doesn't "do" cell phone...
Quote:
It's not illegal, but what if someone thinks it is illegal and calls the cops?
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Show the cop your Craigslist ad and ask them if they'll offer you a better price for whatever you're selling.
Never had anyone pay the slightest interest to us in the parking lots, let alone inspired a cop to stop by. McDonald's, Wal-Mart, Home Depot... nobody seems to mind. It's all over with in a few minutes. Of course if you're buying an electrical appliance then it's a bit difficult to plug it in and see how well it works, but people are generally honest when their license plates are in plain view.

The guy who was buying frequent-flyer miles went to the airline counter a few too many times with "friends" who were "donating" miles, so they stopped him just before boarding the aircraft to discuss the issue.

As for those of us who are cell-free, Home Depot lets you use the phone at their contractor's desk for local calls. If I get stiffed by a seller, I ask them how they'd feel about me posting my experience on Craigslist-- problem solved. If I get stiffed by a buyer then I just move on to the next name on the list.

I don't think I'd ever take a postal money order. I don't know enough about legitimate ones, let alone forgeries.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

For some reason, The Freecycle Network became popular in my area before Craigslist. I have used it many times in the same manor that FUEGO uses Craigslist with similarly good results. (People will gladly come pick up stuff that is too old, broken, etc. for the charities to want.)

Reading this made me realize that it has been a while since I went through this exercise; and, the old homestead is getting cluttered.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
I could have used this advice when I first started posting here on the forum...
But then we may have missed out on some of your unique perspectives
Old 05-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I live on an island. When we have something mail-able to sell but don't want to deal with E-Bay we have used PayPal for Craig's List items requiring shipping.

Our Craig's list has a one week expiration of listings. Keep a copy of your text in a Word (or similar) file so re-positing is easy.

I am wondering, just like Nords, if there is some kind of Craig's List search tool. I posted a current Sweet's Catalogue for free and a person in half way across the country wanted it. For the life of me I don't know how he found us.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
I am wondering, just like Nords, if there is some kind of Craig's List search tool. I posted a current Sweet's Catalogue for free and a person in half way across the country wanted it. For the life of me I don't know how he found us.
There is a site called CrazedList.org that will aggregate results from multiple CL locales. Takes some tweaking of browser settings (which the site will walk you through), but it works pretty well. That's probably how these folks found you.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Google makes certain craigslist searches easy. For example, using this search string with Google:
"Sweet's Catalog" site:craigslist.org
brought up a catalog on the Atlanta, Georgia craigslist site.

I've used this type of search to locate rare goods a couple times.

--Linney
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
For some reason, The Freecycle Network became popular in my area before Craigslist. I have used it many times in the same manor that FUEGO uses Craigslist with similarly good results. (People will gladly come pick up stuff that is too old, broken, etc. for the charities to want.)

Reading this made me realize that it has been a while since I went through this exercise; and, the old homestead is getting cluttered.
Last summer I gave away some stuff on freecycle. Put up a post on Sunday PM, stuff was picked up by Monday PM (Labor Day).
Old 05-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Last summer I gave away some stuff on freecycle. Put up a post on Sunday PM, stuff was picked up by Monday PM (Labor Day).
That's a good idea Khan. If it doesn't sell, I'd like to see a charity or family who really needs the stuff get it. Otherwise, even if it's just regular folk, it would beat hauling it up to the dump and see useful things wasted.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I posted my car for sale on Craigslist on Sat., asking $750.

Quote:
1990 Toyota Camry with 142,057 miles. It may not look pretty but it's runs great and has always been reliable. In May of 2008 we put on 4 new tires (with alignment), new front brakes and rotors, and exhaust system. The tires have 6000 miles on them. It starts every time and drives great.

It has a leak in the fuel line (it has a slow drip) so the fuel line needs to be replaced. If this is something that you could do yourself, or if you know someone who could do this for you at a low price, this would be a great cheap car for you.

We are the only owners after it was in a Toyota dealer rental fleet for the first 6 months/5000 miles. The trunk and fuel filler door still open and close despite the collision damage.

$750 cash only. Sold AS-IS. Located in Cuyahoga Falls.

More pictures are available if you'd like to see the interior or better detail of the car.
http://i39.tinypic.com/ksyoj.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/156zfx3.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/xefq8k.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/x4exkm.jpg
I waited a few days and got no responses at all. By Tuesday I had lowered the price to $500 or best offer. Still no responses.

Last night I deleted my ad and reposted with the price at $300 or best offer. By bedtime I had emails from 2 people who wanted to come and see it. One offered $150 or a trade for some rural land -
Quote:
i have a property in warren ohio on 8th street that ive had for years i would be willing to trade if you would be interested in it.I have it listed on cregslist for 400 obo its worth 1300.Not shure if you would be interested in it or not thought it might be worth a shot..Its a wooded lot 50' x157' on 8th street sw in frunt of a trailer park i have the deed and there is no taxes owed on it.could resell and make alot more money off of it then asking for the car.the taxes on it is 27 a year.
I'M NOT KIDDING!

This morning I had another inquiry and that party came earlier in the evening, drove it and passed on the car. She liked it a lot but had concerns over the cost of fixing the fuel leak. Another couple came at 7:30pm, turned it on, checked under the hood and offered me $250! I took it! They never even drove it. He said he knew what to do for the fuel leak and gave me $100 cash and will bring the balance in the next day or two. I wrote him a receipt and we exchanged phone numbers.

I was getting quite discouraged when I had no responses. I think I just needed to get to the proper price point.

So how do I clean up the fuel puddle stain on the driveway?
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Pictures are a must. Many buyers don't look at ads without photos.
It's nuts ain't it? Someone selling something for thousands of dollars sometimes won't have a picture. How much effort can it be?
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I like to put my pictures on Photobucket and then use the HTML script they provide to put all the pictures i want on Craigslist - in the large! A bit more work than using the easy-peasy Craigslist block o' four, but i know people notice. Have had more than a few respond to apartment ads that mention a different place i had advertised weeks before. Figure that means my ads are branded - is that the advertising term?

And for buyers? Try this for efficient CL hunting fun:
http://www.searchtempest.com/
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote