ebay Question

freedomatlast

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I recently purchased an item on ebay. I paid by PayPal, received the item in perfect condition, it works fine and I left five star positive feedback.

A week later, I received a message from the seller asking if I would accept a cancellation of the item. His reason was that he had a second one to sell. I explained that he could clone the original listing to sell the second one, but he went ahead and sent me a cancellation request anyway, that I can either accept or reject.

My question is, what does he have to gain by requesting the cancellation and what do I have to loose by accepting it? Does he get out of paying fees if I accept the cancellation?

Last edited:
Probably he dodges the fees. But more importantly what is the benefit of this white lie to you? I'd ignore the request.

Probably he dodges the fees. But more importantly what is the benefit of this white lie to you? I'd ignore the request.
+1. The folks at eBay have seen every trick in the book. They might catch it so I wouldn’t chance it, potential downside with zero upside for you. Dealers, pro sellers and the like have made eBay a minefield. Nowhere near the appeal it once had...

Last edited:
It is very easy to sell duplicate items, and takes less than a minute-no reason to cancel that order.

Contact ebay. Honest sellers will appreciate your taking the time to do it.

BTW, if the seller contacted you OUTSIDE of ebay messaging, (using your personal email), that is a violation of the ebay use agreement. Report that also.

Guessing this was a non-cheap item? Buyer is trying to get the fees back. I would guess there is some policy against cancelling after shipped unless the customer agrees?

The item was only about $30.

Curiosity got the best of me so I called ebay today. They couldn't understand why he was doing this. They told me there was no way he was getting his fees back since the item is shown as, paid for, shipped and received.

Then they told me to contact him and explain to him how to relist an item. I told them that should be their job. At this point I'm going to ignore him but still can't understand the motive.

He might be trying to remove the sale from history (which some buyers look at) so he can get a higher price for the second one.

The item was only about $30.

Curiosity got the best of me so I called ebay today. They couldn't understand why he was doing this. They told me there was no way he was getting his fees back since the item is shown as, paid for, shipped and received.

Then they told me to contact him and explain to him how to relist an item. I told them that should be their job. At this point I'm going to ignore him but still can't understand the motive.

Hahaha! Good for you! I can't believe they suggested that!!

He might be trying to remove the sale from history (which some buyers look at) so he can get a higher price for the second one.

Ah, now that makes sense. I didn't think of that.

This one did sell for much less than other identical items at the time.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom