Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't sold for awhile on eBay but was surprised to see that the seller is now responsible for the package arriving. Back in the day when I sold I always offered insurance and it was my belief that the customer should obtain insurance if they didn't want to take the risk of loss. Some did and some didn't. I also offered multiple shipping methods. It really irked me when I selling books when someone would have something shipped media mail and then upset when it didn't arrive quickly (media mail is cheap but slow)....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #22
gone traveling

Moemg, does eBay specifically require you as a seller to indemnify all your buyers against shipping losses, for any reason, including damage in transit? It may be good customer service to do so if you are selling small items, but what about someone selling something very valuable, yet inexpensive to ship like jewelry, or a watch? Normally, if the customer pays for shipping, title and risk pass to the buyer at point of sale. If the seller pays the shipping, title and risk pass at point of delivery. If you are required to operate under unique rules of conduct on eBay , I expect it would behoove you as a seller to choose a delivery method that would protect your interest in the goods in transit; not much of an issue with a $14.00 print cartridge; you could afford to replace one now and then if you encounter shipping losses or a buyer who just claims he/she never received the merchandise.

It would be interesting to see what would happen in the event of a major dispute , (i.e >$14.00 ) over undelivered merchandise. UCC statutes are pretty clear about where title to goods and risk of loss passes, for shipment of commercial goods , ie FOB, FCA, etc. Unless the seller specifically accepts responsibilty for the goods in transit up to the point of delivery (under the relevant UCC statutes,not eBay guidelines) it coud get sticky. With the advent of e-commerce, this will undoubtedly make an appearance in the higher courts, if it hasn't already. Throw international shipping into the mix , and now you have to comply with Incoterms, instead of UCC.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Youbet... I do not think it is taking up space in TAls thread... because it does make a difference...

I had thought that it was 'upon delivery' for most... but it does appear that I was wrong... that if it was silent (and most are)... then it is yours when they ship... I had read about 'it is yours when we ship' on some sites... so I thought that they had to specify this... but I guess all they were doing was trying to head off the complaints when something did not arrive...

No pertinent to this thread since there is eveidence of it being shipped... but what if they just dropped it in first class mail... how do they prove they shipped

I bought something from a forum memeber on a different forum... he shipped a mirror for a car.... said he would ship and after I received the item I could send him a check... so it was his loss if it went missing... or if I were dishonest... I guess...
Old 07-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
No pertinent to this thread since there is eveidence of it being shipped... but what if they just dropped it in first class mail... how do they prove they shipped.
I haven't done it in awhile but USPS used to have some thing called "Certificate of Mailing" on which they put the Canceling Stamp imprint (w/date & Time along with the name/address of recipient) as your receipt. I don't remember there being a cost for this but (no doubt) that could have changed. I used it, for example, back when I mailed my tax forms late on April 15th to prove that I did, in fact, mail the 1040 on time.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Ebay has changed the rules .A seller can not offer insurance for an extra fee . So most include it in the price or the shipping . High price items (anything over $250 ) has to be signed for to avoid any scams . I do a lot of first class shipping and I print the labels through ebay so delivery confirmation is only .19 and you need it if there is a dispute . I hope this answers everybody's questions .
Old 07-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Seller is sending a replacement today.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

...and the original package arrived today.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
...and the original package arrived today.

Just mark the replacement return to sender refused before you open the package and it will be sent back to him .