Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Ebook publishers and price fixing
Old 03-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ebook publishers and price fixing

Just saw this in the news:
U.S. reportedly warns Apple, e-book publishers about price-fixing - latimes.com

Hopefully some of those prices on older non-fiction will start to come down.

BTW, I put in an order for a Kindle Fire today. Our first EReader, as we're planning a trip and need to pack light. We got a library card from a city in our state that seems to have a reasonable ebook license collection. But I'll be a newbie to scouting out bargains on ebooks.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Just saw this in the news:
U.S. reportedly warns Apple, e-book publishers about price-fixing - latimes.com

Hopefully some of those prices on older non-fiction will start to come down.

BTW, I put in an order for a Kindle Fire today. Our first EReader, as we're planning a trip and need to pack light. We got a library card from a city in our state that seems to have a reasonable ebook license collection. But I'll be a newbie to scouting out bargains on ebooks.

If you go to the Amazon web site they have a daily deal for a kindle book . It is usually $1.99 . They also have a free app every day for the kindle fire .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
If you go to the Amazon web site they have a daily deal for a kindle book . It is usually $1.99 . They also have a free app every day for the kindle fire .
I'll check out the free app deal, thanks. Am unlikely to go for an ebook deal just on price as I'm pretty selective in my reading -- because I'm picky and a slow reader to boot.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can also check out this site. They list hundreds of free ebooks everyday. The list is updated hourly. Although you have to pick and choose, I have downloaded many books I have enjoyed reading. And you can't beat the price.

Free Books for Your Kindle | eReaderIQ.com
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

If you check this list regularly you will see the top 100 best sellers (paid list and a FREE list). You can also click on the categories on the left side of the screen to filter down the top paid and free books by areas of interest (ex. Non-Fiction, Business and Investing, Mystery, etc). I've downloaded hundreds of free books to my kindle and discovered some awesome new authors. I do check the list daily because sometimes the free books are only listed for a short time.

I also use my local library card to check out more popular authors books for free.
Enjoy!
KiraC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My local library offers e-books for free. The usual check out period is 3-4 weeks. Barnes and Noble also has a number of books one can download for free to the Nook.

Here:

The NOOK Blog - Barnes & Noble Book Clubs

and here:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-eBooks/379003078/

I very much enjoy reading on the Nook. The e-ink is a delight. And the battery will last for weeks without needing a recharge. Very nice.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
You can also check out this site. They list hundreds of free ebooks everyday. The list is updated hourly. Although you have to pick and choose, I have downloaded many books I have enjoyed reading. And you can't beat the price.

Free Books for Your Kindle | eReaderIQ.com
To add to this, try MobileRead Forums Their Deals and Freebies forums lists free and low cost books for Kindle and Nook devices every day.

For Nook readers, B&N has Free Fridays with a free book listed in their blog. The blog also compiles all free books for Nooks found in the previous week.

-- Rita
Old 03-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraC View Post
I also use my local library card to check out more popular authors books for free.
Our county library is behind and only now budgeting for ebooks. So we went to another county library system nearby and got library cards. It turned out the librarian we talked to did not know about their contract that did not allow for non-residents to check out ebooks.

Then I called a couple of city libraries in our state and they definitely will allow in-state people to use their ebooks. So well be getting a San Francisco library card pretty soon when we drive into the city. They seem to have a pretty good selection of ebooks. DW is also excited about their audiobooks because she listens to them while doing artwork.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My library system is a bit complex and restricted, but here's how I use it. I put three books (max allowed) on the waiting list, and all others I find on the wish list. When a book on the waiting list becomes available, I check it out and move a book from the wish list to the waiting list.

If you are reading a Kindle book and it is about to expire, you can turn off your wifi (e.g. Airplane mode) when you run the kindle reader app, and it won't expire.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Al. I wondered what the wish list was for and it's nice to know about the non-expire option for times of last chapter desperation (and slow readers).